GDT: Argos @ Bombers

another comment I had was when the camera focused on Tim Burke in the press box at the controls of the Argo Defence. He had that same blank stare on his face that he used to have on the sidelines with us. I just felt so happy seeing him there that he wasn't our head coach anymore. Then I saw the White Zombie on the sidelines for Toronto too. Is Toronto collecting all of our bad ex-coaches? Where is Reinebold this year? Toronto could use him too. Add in Mike Kelly and they'll have the power quartet of futility.

wasn't happy about going from O'Shea to Daley... and last night our STs got their arses kicked on every play excepting the one where your punter out-punted his coverage and we got a long return as a result. 

as for Burke, i'm totally fine about having him as a DC. we actually didn't even do a search for one. Barker asked Milanovich who he wanted and was given one name.

say what you will about burke the head coach, he was awful terrible a joke,but burke the DC is a very very respected coordinator.

I'm curious if you polled bomber fans and asked, who would you rather have as DC... burke or ETCH.. i think burke might win that poll.

say what you will about burke the head coach, he was awful terrible a joke,but burke the DC is a very very respected coordinator.

I'm curious if you polled bomber fans and asked, who would you rather have as DC... burke or ETCH.. i think burke might win that poll.

Right now I'd say Burke over Etch.  But I am willing to give Etch a few weeks to see where this goes...

- Willy looked decent at best, but did look better the more he was out there. Hall was Hall, I didn't expect anything from him, so he met my expectations. Brohm was terrible to start, then looked okay his last few snaps, has the tools, but the mental side seems to be lacking. Marve looked great out their, clearly has the physical tools to play up here, but considering how little time he got, I'm not ready to jump on his bandwagon just yet.

- Cotton looked good out there and I wasn't impressed with Grigsby at all. Volny was Volny

- Offensive line still worries me, but Goossen didn't look to bad out there, just needs more reps I suppose.

- Defense, scares the crap out of me to be honest. Having Etch as the DC for an entire season is the main reason for that.

- Didn't even notice Leggett or Robertson out there and those were the two I was most interested in seeing last night.

- Thought the kicking battle was great, both played well and have strong legs. Hopefully this spells the end for Renaud.

Why are people so scared by Etchevery?

his defences are unorthodox, however same can be sorta said for thorpes in montreal and stubler also. I thought montreals D was pretty decent last year, they might not have been up there in terms of numbers and where they ranked overall but.. they were sufficient. Keep in mind, AC was finished last season too.

I think the concern is, the lack of run defence. I know people will say you cant' win just using the run in the CFL but if you can't stop the run, yes you can win.

I'm not overly concerned with the game last night, got to keep in mind that i'm pretty positive it was a very  vanilla defence. We aren't gonna show the argos our hand when we play them in a couple weeks time when it matters.

The one thing though is it seems ETCH's d's are really easy to figure out for opposing coaches, milo figured it out last night pretty quickly, run the ball, short little 4 5 yard passes, they nickled and dimed us all night long, but like i said, pretty sure we were being very vanilla last night. 

I'm willing to give ETCH a chance thats for sure. Not gonna write the guy off based on one pre-season game. His past history has shown his defences are pretty decent, they suck against the run but overall are pretty decent. People will say but then once teams figure it out, it goes to crap but... that can be said for most defences in football. 

I hate to nitpick but i am going too..... i'm sure the Bombers have plenty of other things to wory about but are they ever going to do anything with the gold vinyl wrap on the walls?  They pulled it tight and screwed it to the concrete everywhere but the corners.  I thought last year it was just rushed and they would have had time to do it in the off season but it looks terrible.  Get someone on that! ;)

I like Hall. He did pretty well last year considering what he was playing with.  Willy looked okay.  Brohm looked.. terrible.  Marve looked like his uncle suggested which was surprising, even though it was garbage time.. but well.. the whole game was garbage time.. Meh.  I'm excited to see if he can be successful when when the other team's starting defense is on the field. If he is.. move him up to the backup slot.. if he keeps playing like that and out plays willy, make him number one..  Same goes for all the QBs.  

If willy is the Starter, great. If the other QBs out play him consistently then they should become the #1 Qb.

First Pre-season game of ours where 3/4 of the QBs looks promising and were able to move the ball.

Watched the first half again...

Defence

Unamba really pushing for a job, Washington, Leggett and Newman looked decent

Suber wasn't as bad as he looked - had some good plays, he was around the ball a lot...

Banks reminds me of Jovon... really a step behind on almost every play

Wild did not look comfortable at MLB

Both Markett and BJohnson start looking better as Argos field more third stringers... jury is still out

Thomas is just a shade too small but okay to rotate, Moseley and Peach played well and had some nice ST

Bucknor makes some smart ST plays

Offence

Why didn't we move Morely to Centre a couple years ago... I'm impressed.

We got away with two interceptions in a row... 

Jarvis Jones will be an all-star

Knapp is a dirty player, I'm fine with that - still no place for him in the lineup though

Trying to figure out if its miscommunication or if Willy is underthrowing a bit... will find out soon enough

Our OL did some really nice stuff - long time since I've said that.

Urrutia will make us forget Matthews

Hall might have looked better with the first team OL...  Stevenson repeatedly schooled at RT - why Neufeld was at RG, I will never know...  he was having a hard time

Goossen is our fastest OL on our B-team

The defense got dumbed on a lot last night but in pass coverage they kept everything in front of them. Only one deep pass allowed think a 29 yarder was longest all night.  

The very definition of an Etcheverry defence. They looked bad where they will be most susceptible and that is the run game.