Main Camp Day 5 (Reports and Discussion)

I cant remember too many injuries the last two training camps other then Watson who was taken out by Dan West.  Maybe I just have a short memory...

That wasn't a training camp injury.

Yeah I believe it was around week 4 or 5

Met and/or briefly talked with January, Greaves, Saulsberry and Kowalczuk.  Kowalczuk said the he loves O'Shea, that as a former player he really understands them.  Raved about Bob Wylie, said he's showing them clips of guys he coached in the 80s. Thinks they've got the right people in place in all the right areas.

Also January said he appreciated the support from the fans. Him and the guy next to me were chatting about the labour stuff I think.

O'Shea made a big point of not doing conditioning as part of training camp practices.  I'm wondering if he'll adjust that in the future.  They had an expectation that guys would come into camp in great shape, but that's not necessarily football shape, and football shape to go from 0 to 60 and compete against other guys going just as hard.

Most interesting news out of today's Mike O'Shea scrum? #Bombers didn't pursue free agent defensive tackle Ted Laurent.

Mike O'Shea says all four #Bombers quarterbacks will play Monday night against the #Argos. Time for each dependent on OC and QB Coach.

I have to be honest, this doesn't really surprise me. I'd love for them to take the approach that you can make all Canadian talent fit but I think if there were a player who was the definition of anti-Etcheverry, Ted Laurent would be close to it. I don't agree with the decision to not go after him, but I'm not really surprised.

Lots of these injuries are hamstring pulls or ankles being rolled on, it's not like guys are out there breaking necks, it's just part of football, im not sure there is much you can do to avoid hamstring pulls or ankles from being rolled, it just happens.

again though it seems some are making to big of a deal out of a depth chart, the depth chart means nothing at this point. O'shea has said several times already that the depth chart means little so really wish some would stop pretending some guys are being penciled in as starters right now when they are not.

Most interesting news out of today's Mike O'Shea scrum? #Bombers didn't pursue free agent defensive tackle Ted Laurent.

Mike O'Shea says all four #Bombers quarterbacks will play Monday night against the #Argos. Time for each dependent on OC and QB Coach.

I have to be honest, this doesn't really surprise me. I'd love for them to take the approach that you can make all Canadian talent fit but I think if there were a player who was the definition of anti-Etcheverry, Ted Laurent would be close to it. I don't agree with the decision to not go after him, but I'm not really surprised.

Not sure I understand Mike..... what would an 'anti-Etcheverry player' be like? 

Not sure I understand Mike..... what would an 'anti-Etcheverry player' be like? 

The way Laurent plays doesn't fit in with the kind of defense Etcheverry runs.  It's like asking a QB that loves to run around the backfield to stand in one place and be a pocket passer.

Slow.  One dimensional.

Not dissing Laurent.  He's makes up for slow with power and strength.  His one dimension is a very good dimension.

But if the D is going to feature a lot of movement and players dropping in and out of coverage, yeah, Laurent can't do that.  He's a brute force nose tackle type.

Edit - If Greg Marshall was still here running his 4-3, Laurent would be the man for the job.

Met and/or briefly talked with January, Greaves, Saulsberry and Kowalczuk.  Kowalczuk said the he loves O'Shea, that as a former player he really understands them.  Raved about Bob Wylie, said he's showing them clips of guys he coached in the 80s. Thinks they've got the right people in place in all the right areas.

Also January said he appreciated the support from the fans. Him and the guy next to me were chatting about the labour stuff I think.

Guy, next to you... That would be me. The Linemen were pretty appreciative of the fans coming out and supporting them. 

He should be adapting his scheme to fit his players. Ted Laurent is a special player, if you can't find room to fit a guy like him into your defense Etch should re-evaluate what we're doing.

Etcheverry terrifies me.

He should be adapting his scheme to fit his players. Ted Laurent is a special player, if you can't find room to fit a guy like him into your defense Etch should re-evaluate what we're doing.

Etcheverry terrifies me.

I agree ... to an extent. You can't spend your entire offseason scouting players to fit one scheme and then change it up to adapt to another individual. Ted Laurent is a great player, I'd love to have him. But like MBRG said, he's VERY one dimensional. It's a great dimension but it's not a dimension that fits here.

Laurent said the reason he didn't sign in Montreal was because the defense wasn't a good fit for him. It works both ways. Winnipeg probably felt the same about him.

My two cents on the day would be that the coaches put a lot of emphasis on critiquing all the players and adjusting their mechanics. QB coach was working on the qb's footwork on drop backs and what he wanted to see. Wylie was working the boys hard on mechanics (their lifting of d-line, blocks) and the men seemed to be answering the call for the most part. As was said I was asking Kowalczuk about coach Wylie and he really liked what he was doing, said "it feels like we are doing a lot better, we hope you guys see that too" I'm not an expert on OL but when they were up against the defense they seemed to hold their own a pick up a couple blitzes. 

Special teams got a lot of work today, from what I saw had to have been 45 min to an hour of teaching the guys and then running some plays. Tonnes of coaching in this department, lots of questions being asked to coaches which I totally respect.

Sears(hamsting/quad) and Volny(ankle) needed to be taped up a different times during the practice Volny got back in to playing but it looked like Johnny was testing his out and not pushing it too much.

Robertson had a cpl of passes broken up, Randle had a solid practice, Suber and Anderson had good practices as well.

WR's had hot and cold moments sometimes due to the qb's passes, but one thing I did take note of and liked was Willy running up to a couple of receivers if they didn't run the right route, cut it off, or whatever, and would talk it out with them and tell them what he wanted. 

Pretty lax practice, didn't seem like they were pushing the guys too hard.

Slow.  One dimensional.

Not dissing Laurent.  He's makes up for slow with power and strength.  His one dimension is a very good dimension.

But if the D is going to feature a lot of movement and players dropping in and out of coverage, yeah, Laurent can't do that.  He's a brute force nose tackle type.

Edit - If Greg Marshall was still here running his 4-3, Laurent would be the man for the job.

ah ok got ya - thanks for clearing that up. Explains why he's not here in Edmonton either. They are running at full speed + here. They got 48 players on the field at one time ( both sides of the field, full offense/defense). Practises here are shorter but a lot more intense. All O plays have to be off in 17 seconds - Jones and the other coaches are screaming numbers a they are trying to get the play off. Very very up-tempo. Wonder how the bombers training camp is compared to this, and which one is better. 

Markus Howard said it best - "If you want to say we were practising at 100 per cent last year, this year we're probably practising at 500%. It's night and day". 

edit - just read the post above mine. Yeah, opposite of what Jones is doing here with the Eskimos' - great contrast to see which method works (not in terms of wins/losses but in terms of how well the players play on the field).

According to the Freep today, the standouts yesterday were:  QB Robert Marve, OL Matthias Goosen, LB Ian Wild, HB Don Unamba. I wonder if Unamba would look good as the free safety? Good to hear that Goossen is doing well and just might be a starter out of training camp. I'm rooting for Marve as this year's dark horse candidate.

Met and/or briefly talked with January, Greaves, Saulsberry and Kowalczuk. Kowalczuk said the he loves O'Shea, that as a former player he really understands them. Raved about Bob Wylie, said he's showing them clips of guys he coached in the 80s. Thinks they've got the right people in place in all the right areas.

Guy, next to you... That would be me. The Linemen were pretty appreciative of the fans coming out and supporting them.

Ha, you know I'm always wondering if I'm sitting right by another MBB member when I come on here during camp.

Met and/or briefly talked with January, Greaves, Saulsberry and Kowalczuk. Kowalczuk said the he loves O'Shea, that as a former player he really understands them. Raved about Bob Wylie, said he's showing them clips of guys he coached in the 80s. Thinks they've got the right people in place in all the right areas.

Ha, you know I'm always wondering if I'm sitting right by another MBB member when I come on here during camp.

Which is why we all need those MBB shirts ;)

But then you'll know my secret identity.

But then you'll know my secret identity.

I already know who you are. Your're the guy that looks like your avy pic but with a marvel Bomber Shirt on :)