Quentin Saulsberry?

mikey d

From everything Walters has said, I really believe it will be Lavertu or Foucault. Whichever one Ottawa doesn't take. I don't think anyone else is even in the conversation.

Walters did mention Foucault as being one of the three best players in this draft. I forgot about that when I posted that we'd take a DL after Lavertu.

Ok....this is a suuuuuuper far fetched scenario that I would like to see play out but likely never happen.

We trade picks 20 and 26 to BC for BCs 5th.  BC now doesn't have a first rounder but would have two second and three third rounders.

BC could then flip say 12th and 20th to Hamilton for 9th.  

In the end Winnipeg would have two first rounders but nothing until the 4th round, BC moves down 4 spots but get an extra lower pick at 26 and get to pick back to back and Hamilton moves down two but has early second round back to back picks at 11 and 12.

Maybe a team has to throw a player in there to make it happen but in such a shallow draft I think this would be great if pulled off.  But as I said likely won't.

Thoughts?  

Ok....this is a suuuuuuper far fetched scenario that I would like to see play out but likely never happen.

We trade picks 20 and 26 to BC for BCs 5th. BC now doesn't have a first rounder but would have two second and three third rounders.

In the end Winnipeg would have two first rounders but nothing until the 4th round, BC moves down 4 spots but get an extra lower pick at 26 and get to pick back to back and Hamilton moves down two but has early second round back to back picks at 11 and 12.

Maybe a team has to throw a player in there to make it happen but in such a shallow draft I think this would be great if pulled off. But as I said likely won't.

Thoughts?

I guarantee BC isn't trading us their 5th overall pick for our 20 & 26.

i think if we really want another first rounder we have to give up our first rounder next year + an asset (NI backup or rights to our unsigned draftees)

Not likely we'd have to add to next year's first rounder to get one this year.

i think if we really want another first rounder we have to give up our first rounder next year + an asset (NI backup or rights to our unsigned draftees)

Not likely we'd have to add to next year's first rounder to get one this year.
Considering we host the Grey Cup next year that might not be a bad move...get a head start on developing the young guys do they can make a impact next year. A combo of Lavertu plus one of Goossen/Gill/Coombs would be pretty sweet.

Start an Imp at C? That is an absolute waste of an import spot. I truly hope people aren't serious.

They drafted a lot of tackles the last few years, what if they have a NI who can play RT but none that can play centre well? Would still be using 2 imports on the o-line. Hell wouldn't even be the first time that the Bombers used an import at centre, unless I'm forgetting but wasn't Benedict Ibisi a centre?

Didn't Brandon Dyson also play some centre for us?

That is correct. Dyson was first during the 2001 season, and Ibisi came after. Too bad Dyson pulled the crap he did with the football club because he was damn good on the field. Dirty player sure, but he was someone I'd have on my offensive line any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

We trade picks 20 and 26 to BC for BCs 5th.  BC now doesn't have a first rounder but would have two second and three third rounders.

Maybe a team has to throw a player in there to make it happen but in such a shallow draft I think this would be great if pulled off.  But as I said likely won't.

Thoughts?  

The biggest problem I could see is not a lot of teams will trade down cuz of lack of depth in this draft.... but still fun to talk about....

so to make this truly a dream scenario... Ottawa takes Foucault #1, we take Lavertu #2 and Gill #5 and they start at C and DT respectively from day one for the next 10 years!

Thoughts?  

There's no advantage in trading out of the first round for more picks later in this draft.  A reasonable deal for the 5th pick would be like the 9th and 11th from Hamilton.

From everything Walters has said, I really believe it will be Lavertu or Foucault. Whichever one Ottawa doesn't take. I don't think anyone else is even in the conversation.

Definitely heard Walters say that an OL will be our pick at 2nd overall.  Will be interesting to see if they change their mind if/when Ottawa takes Lavertu.  We're getting kind of heavy on the tackle projects who probably end up playing guard because tackle ends up being an import spot (Pencer, Swiston, Neufeld, even Morley is one of those), our interior line stinks and all of those guys are having trouble playing inside.  Unless they think Foucault won't join that crew, I'd be reticent to make that pick.

I think I'd rather trade down and snag 2-3 guys (including one of the 2nd tier OL, a guy like Kyle Patterson or Jas Dhillon who might end up being a better CFL guard than a guy like Foucault), we could probably add a DL or LB/DB that could make our team this year.

Say we got offered 5 and 12 from BC, or 4 and 13 from Montreal, think it would have to be considered.

Thoughts?

There's no advantage in trading out of the first round for more picks later in this draft.  A reasonable deal for the 5th pick would be like the 9th and 11th from Hamilton.

Definitely heard Walters say that an OL will be our pick at 2nd overall.  Will be interesting to see if they change their mind if/when Ottawa takes Lavertu.  We're getting kind of heavy on the tackle projects who probably end up playing guard because tackle ends up being an import spot (Pencer, Swiston, Neufeld, even Morley is one of those), our interior line stinks and all of those guys are having trouble playing inside.  Unless they think Foucault won't join that crew, I'd be reticent to make that pick.

I think I'd rather trade down and snag 2-3 guys (including one of the 2nd tier OL, a guy like Kyle Patterson or Jas Dhillon who might end up being a better CFL guard than a guy like Foucault), we could probably add a DL or LB/DB that could make our team this year.

Say we got offered 5 and 12 from BC, or 4 and 13 from Montreal, think it would have to be considered.

Agreed one hundred and fifty percent

I dont think id trade out of the top 4 really. I dont think other teams tho would be willing to move their picks also to move up.

Ottawa,Winnipeg,Edmonton,Montreal,BC = top 5 yes?

Ottawa needs talent all over, they could take lavertu but they could take a receiver also. They need talent all over.

Winnipeg, we need oline, thats what we will take at 2, (still feel its lavertu or goosen for us) Goosen played for a team who played in the NCAA did he not? he might be closer to be ready to play then we think.

Edmonton needs oline. They will take one of lavertu goosen or foucault for sure, however Gill could end up there too as they probably will need to replace Laurent.

Montreal? Pretty obvious they have a need at receiver.

Not sure a team like Montreal would be willing to move 2 picks to move up 2 spots to take a receiver when, in all liklihood he will be there at 4.

BC might look at a guy like coombs to back up harris, pretty good chance he is available at 5 also.

Not sure you will see many trades here, as the draft class seems to be a bit weaker then most years. You might see one or 2 but i doubt any of those trades involve teams with picks 1 to 5.

"A four-year starter, Saulsberry wasn't highly recruited out of high school, choosing Mississippi State over Memphis. After redshirting in 2007 as a defensive lineman, he transitioned to the offensive side of the ball and earned the starting right tackle job as a redshirt freshman, starting every game in 2008.

Saulsberry moved inside to left guard in 2009 as a sophomore, starting all 12 games. He again started every game in 2010 as a junior, starting at right guard (10 starts), center (2 starts) and left guard (1 start). Saulsberry again showed off his versatility in 2011, starting all 13 games at right guard (9 starts) and center (4 starts).

Saulsberry lacks ideal size and strength and isn't overpowering, but he makes up for it with his tenacious playing style and feisty, competitive attitude. He takes pride in finishing his blocks and looks natural pulling and blocking in motion.

Saulsberry is versatile with the skills set and experience to be a serviceable NFL guard, but his size and frame make him a center prospect for most teams, reminiscent of a poor man's Rodney Hudson and is the best interior line prospect in this class that no one seems to be talking about.

Strengths: Fires off the snap with explosive burst and no hesitation. Moves very well for a 300-pounder with above-average quickness and range. Does a nice job getting to the second level and blocking in space -- mobile and effective pulling. Has quick feet and bends well at the knee. Sits in his stance with good balance and a strong base.

Extends his arms quickly at the point of attack and is aggressive with his hands -- strong, active punch. Works hard through the whistle with top a motor and nasty demeanor. Scrappy and physical with an intense playing style. Has a tenacious attitude and looks to eliminate defenders from the play -- love his aggressive nature and feisty mean streak.

Has the lower body strength to anchor in pass protection and uses leverage to his advantage. A hard worker on and off the field and strives to be the best he can be -- smart and tough. Put together an impressive collegiate resume as a four-year starter in the SEC with impressive experience and versatility, starting 50 games between four different positions -- right guard (19 starts), left guard (13 starts), right tackle (12 starts) and center (6 starts).

Weaknesses: Doesn't have elite size or strength with limited growth potential. Has almost too much arm length (33 5/8), taking a bit longer to unwind off the snap. Tends to be too aggressive off the snap and will take himself out of the play. Misses too many blocking assignments because he plays undisciplined at times.

Often caught lunging and overextends, struggling to stay under control. Not overpowering at the point of attack and lacks the natural girth to hold up at guard -- probably restricted to center where he has the least amount of college experience.

NFL Comparison: Rodney Hudson, Kansas City Chiefs."

Also participated in basketball and track as a Mississippi prep. Graded out at 93 percent with 24 pancake blocks as senior. Redshirted in 2007. Started all 37 games along the offensive line during his first three seasons — 12 games at right tackle in ’08; 12 games at left guard in ’09; and 13 contests (11 at right guard and two at center) in ’10. Continued his starting streak in ’11, starting all 13 contests — four of the first five games at center and nine of the final 10 at right guard.

Positives:

Has good size and is well put together. Quick out of his stance. Good feet and active hands. Can shuffle and mirror inside. Understands positioning and angles. Smart and aware. Pulls with speed and conviction and zeroes in on targets. Plays with vinegar — consistent effort and intensity. Tough, durable four-year starter. Versatile — played four different spots. Outstanding personal and football character — accountable, well-respected, passionate leader by example.

Negatives:

Adequate length. Not exceptionally strong or explosive. Does not play with pop in his hands. Average balance and sustain — at times lunges and falls off blocks. Struggles to generate movement in the run game (limited power). Struggled in head-to-head confrontations with elite talent, including Detroit Lions 2010 first-rounder Nick Fairley and LSU’s Michael Brockers. Too effort-reliant.

Summary:

Scrappy, competitive, athletic, experienced interior blocker whose functional strength leaves something be desired. Projects best at center in the pros, although his versatility, intangibles and playing temperament could make him a valuable swing interior backup.

I don't Think Saulsberry was brought in to play C. Though It will be nice to have him be able to play it in a pinch.

Between Saulsberry, January, Knapp and Jones, we'll have 2 very good Tackles this year...

Center and RG will continue to be weaknesses though... Hopefully we can get Lavertu.

I wonder if BC would consider trading Norman with the right offer.

I don't mind trading January (and his buddy Morley) if can get something for him (them).

Jones have shown brilliance in short amount of time. Plus he can play either end of the OLine.

Ditto Knapp.

It seems Richards is in the same mould of Jones.

While Saulsberry, as pointed out earlier, can play any position in the OLine which is a good thing.

Jones could be a cheaper/younger alternative for January.