Buck Pierce......should Goltz Start?

Brandon

I hope Burke will not waste another game with Pierce. That 'Pierce is our best chance to win' tag is quickly fading away.

Especially if they play in Winnipeg with him next game.  The Boo Birds are going to be out in full force.

I agree with others here.  Buck needs to go, and the question we all seem to have is, why isn't Burke pulling him?

Goltz is not ready.

Goltz may not be deemed to be ready, but, right now we are playing a QB who is not ready to play a CFL game. Seriously.

So what's the difference?

Are you afraid of turnovers?

Missed throws?

Improper reads?

Read those three things again. That's our "experienced , best chance QB" right there.

Goltz may do those three things, but he may also scramble to avoid the rush, throw on the run, throw deep and I sincerely think he can handoff a ball.

Right now, there is no advantage playing Buck.

None.

The only reason to play Buck at this point is to protect Goltz and/or Hall.

He offers nothing over and above what they can bring to the table right now. Experience? What difference does experience make when you don't apply any of it to what you do on the field? I watched several replays last night of Buck Pierce getting sacked where you can see him lock onto his initial read and not look at a single thing afterwards, including the defender coming to hit him. Veteran leadership? All he's doing at this point is frustrating our team, at least that's the vibe I get. Our defense must be getting tired of playing the entire second half. Our receivers must be getting tired of seeing balls sail way over their head or off to the side. At one point yesterday, his poor throw forced Isaac Anderson to make a sliding catch over the middle and if he had somehow miraculously been on the mark, Anderson probably turns it upfield for a big gain. Even the throws he completes at this point are awful. Go back and look at the tape. 26 yard completion to Matthews? Awful throw. The huge completion to Etienne on the pump and go? Terrible throw. They're completions, but the balls are not well thrown by any stretch.

He is simply a god awful QB at this point. Even when he goes an entire game without turning the ball over, he's horrible. He's finding new ways to be horrible every week and I'm just tired of it.

Reilly's played in 2 consecutive rain games.... He was still 13 of 21. Thing is, he'll get better but Buck won't. Mack & Burke put  the Bombers into the position we're in now.

I worded it poorly, I meant that Reilly is just a little better than Buck right now since he can at least run and complete some decent throws.  Buck's the worst starter in the league and it this point there are backups I'd rather roll that die on than him.  Putting him as the 8th QB in the league is being generous to him.

He offers nothing over and above what they can bring to the table right now. Experience? What difference does experience make when you don't apply any of it to what you do on the field? I watched several replays last night of Buck Pierce getting sacked where you can see him lock onto his initial read and not look at a single thing afterwards, including the defender coming to hit him. Veteran leadership? All he's doing at this point is frustrating our team, at least that's the vibe I get. Our defense must be getting tired of playing the entire second half. Our receivers must be getting tired of seeing balls sail way over their head or off to the side. At one point yesterday, his poor throw forced Isaac Anderson to make a sliding catch over the middle and if he had somehow miraculously been on the mark, Anderson probably turns it upfield for a big gain. Even the throws he completes at this point are awful. Go back and look at the tape. 26 yard completion to Matthews? Awful throw. The huge completion to Etienne on the pump and go? Terrible throw. They're completions, but the balls are not well thrown by any stretch.

He is simply a god awful QB at this point. Even when he goes an entire game without turning the ball over, he's horrible. He's finding new ways to be horrible every week and I'm just tired of it.

and you know that the worst part is? You and I and many others knew this about Pierce last season if not sooner and we knew this would be the result of sticking with him! If we average schmucks can see that Pierce is not a good qb anymore why the hell can't our coaches see it and move on? If Goltz and Hall aren't able to play then why the **** did we cut two qbs who had at least won games as starters to make room for them? Right now I just want to see someone else in there just to see what they can do. 

At some point the players are going to start getting pretty upset with him.  The receivers and defense are probably quietly angry already.

Burke basically said that Goltz and Hall are better than Elliot and Brink. If thats the case, he shouldn't be afraid to play them.

That was the entire idea behind cutting Elliott and Brink, to upgrade the backups... so if these guys are better than the ones we had last year why aren't we playing them when our starter is playing as bad or worse than anything we got last year from the position. 

Burke is going to cost a lot of people their jobs if he stubbornly sticks with an obviously finished quarterback.

I've thought about this a lot for a very long time. I've never seen a QB with a longer leash than Buck even when he struggled in years past. He's never been benched for poor play and rarely if ever been pulled when ineffective. It makes me believe that there is more to this than meets the eye. Burke has no problem calling people out for poor performance and even cut Hefney, who while not perfect was clearly better at his position than Buck is at his. Are we all missing something here, or is it an elaborate conspiracy?

The offense is going to suck no matter who you have back there but there is no point in wrecking the backups this early in the season, the backups will get their shot probably by game 6 if things don't improve.

Why?  The only part of our offense consistently sucking is the guy not reading blitzes and making terrible throws.

The offense is going to suck no matter who you have back there but there is no point in wrecking the backups this early in the season, the backups will get their shot probably by game 6 if things don't improve.

Watch the replays of the sacks. He actually has time to throw on most of them. On most of the blitzes his eyes are 15 - 20 yards down field instead looking for a quick outlet.

To me it looks like teams go into the first half expecting the Bombers have made adjustments for the blitz. When they discover they haven't, they simply pin their ears back and blitz all out in the second half.

Why?  The only part of our offense consistently sucking is the guy not reading blitzes and making terrible throws.

I can't believe he overtrew Chris Matthews wide open along the sideline in the third? Quarter.... The guy sucks even when he's healthy.

I can't believe he overtrew Chris Matthews wide open along the sideline in the third? Quarter.... The guy sucks even when he's healthy.

I'm watching the first half right now since I missed it yesterday and on the first drive he had matthews up the middle as well and put it way over his head, had a catch by anderson that if it was better thrown anderson catches it in stride and has lots of daylight in front of him instead anderson had to go down to catch it... just a terrible outing. Leaving so many play on the field because of an inaccurate arm and an inability to do anything in the face of pressure.

I'm watching the first half right now since I missed it yesterday and on the first drive he had matthews up the middle as well and put it way over his head, had a catch by anderson that if it was better thrown anderson catches it in stride and has lots of daylight in front of him instead anderson had to go down to catch it... just a terrible outing. Leaving so many play on the field because of an inaccurate arm and an inability to do anything in the face of pressure.

if you are going to pick on stuff like that you might want to mention the sloppy work of the receivers. pierce had some pretty bad throws but there were very catchable balls put on the turf

I'm sure the receivers were just frustrated with the Brutal QBing, they probably gave up after the 1st quarter. It gets to the point when there are so many bad throws that as a receiver, you just start expecting the next throw to be bad as well. So when you start expecting everythrow to be piss poor, then catching catchable balls, becomes very difficult.

if you are going to pick on stuff like that you might want to mention the sloppy work of the receivers. pierce had some pretty bad throws but there were very catchable balls put on the turf

oh sure there were a few that were dropped, but there were a lot more poor throws too. No team is going to go through an entire game with 0 drops, but when most of the passes aren't even catchable...  It was particularly painful to see how as soon as Pierce sensed the pressure he just turtled. No attempt to avoid it, not attempt to get a pass off first, just hit the deck. He's playing like a rookie who's never seen a blitz before. 

Perhaps people should re evaluate the system. This is reminiscent of Mike Kelly burning through a stable of QBs with similar results and then trying to make Bishop into a pocket passer. Clearly not one of Bishop's assets and another failure. That group of QBs said Payton Manning would have failed in that situation. The difference being he would not have stood for it and people would have listened.

Perhaps people should re evaluate the system. This is reminiscent of Mike Kelly burning through a stable of QBs with similar results and then trying to make Bishop into a pocket passer. Clearly not one of Bishop's assets and another failure. That group of QBs said Payton Manning would have failed in that situation. The difference being he would not have stood for it and people would have listened.

The difference is that receivers in this system *ARE* getting open.  The throws are there.  Pierce isn't making them.  That's not to say that there aren't issues with what Crowton is trying to do but things would look markedly better if QB1 makes quicker decisions and could hit the broad side of a barn.