Buck Pierce......should Goltz Start?

Brandon

Buck definitely had a great 1st quarter with his 150 yards and going 12 - 15 or whatever it was...... however the rest of the game in my opinion he looked very shakey.    

I'm not an expert but this game he had more protection yet it still seemed like he was throwing without planting his foot and his passes were very wobbly, slow and fairly inaccurate.  Kind of reminded me of Khari in his last days.  

I don't want to pile on Pierce but his throws for the most part looked plain ugly and being an arm chair qb their were several times where he had Simpson wide open yet he locked in on his primary receiver and either went down or tossed it into tight coverage.  

I would not be opposed if they gave Goltz some play time because I think the offense could work if they had a qb who can actually pull of a quick release without fluttering the ball.  

Does anyone know if Max Hall has a decent release?

Should we trade for Glenn,  I know if Glenn played tonight we definitely would of put up much more points because the guys underneath definitely had some room to run if they had the ball. 

Any thoughts or am I over reacting on Buck's play?

no. pierce can and will win for us. he made some very nice throws today. give him some credit..

he also took a beating and kept going.. if we figure out how to gear our offense to punish the blitz then it will loom even better..

no. pierce can and will win for us. he made some very nice throws today. give him some credit..

he also took a beating and kept going.. if we figure out how to gear our offense to punish the blitz then it will loom even better..

That shouldn't be hard to do...which begs the question...why aren't we seeing it yet? Is it reads by the QB? Weak links on the OL?

I am clearly anti-Buck and would have started the season with a different QB but you can't hook him coming off this victory.  Give him another chance (or chances) and eventually he'll provide a better time or opportunity to make a QB switch if needed.

Check out the timeline of the game here.

The Bombers had maybe 3-4 good drives, and specifically Buck-related drives would probably be about 2.  It's just not good enough to win consistently, which is why I can confidently say that there will be an opportunity at some point later in the year to pull him.

I should add that there is no way Burke is going to make a QB switch any time soon.  He'll ride the Buck roller coaster this year for as long as he can.

part of the reason the offense isn't punishing the blitz is pierces limitations. He's too inconsistent a passer to stand there and beat a blitz with his arm. 

part of the reason the offense isn't punishing the blitz is pierces limitations. He's too inconsistent a passer to stand there and beat a blitz with his arm.

have some patience.. he can and will do it.. he hit jade last game for a beauty quick hitter, kolhert for some hitches and quicks tonight.. he will improve.. besides, goltz.. is he ready? i dont think so..

I'd love to move on from Pierce, but not with an unproven commodity in the wings. Someone needs to prove they are the next guy, or we need to make a trade somehow for an established vet. Til then it's Buck or bust, right up to his inevitable season ending injury.

Goltz had 2 TDS  ,  Pierce had 2 Fumbles....   isn't that enough :D  

The reason I say Goltz is because Pierce's arm has looked just awful tonight.    He made one nice sharp throw to Edwards at the Goal Line.... but most of his throws were really floaters.  

have some patience.. he can and will do it.. he hit jade last game for a beauty quick hitter, kolhert for some hitches and quicks tonight.. he will improve.. besides, goltz.. is he ready? i dont think so..

Hopefully this doesn't come off too harsh Spuds (that's certainly not my intent) but it seems like you are working off of a lot of anecdotal evidence here and not looking at the sum of the two performances.  For instance I know Pierce CAN hit quick throws, but whether he can do it consistently is the bigger question.  If he played the full game like he played that 105 yard drive we'd be golden, but Buck is definitely prone to streaks.  Sometimes the hot or cold ones last a little shorter or longer than usual, but it's an up and down ride and I can't see that changing.

I don't agree with SPuDS much, but tonight I'm on board. ...Have patience. The offense as a whole, is just coming together. Reduce the turnovers (most of which had nothing to do with Buck...) and this game looks even better...

Hopefully this doesn't come off too harsh Spuds (that's certainly not my intent) but it seems like you are working off of a lot of anecdotal evidence here and not looking at the sum of the two performances. For instance I know Pierce CAN hit quick throws, but whether he can do it consistently is the bigger question. If he played the full game like he played that 105 yard drive we'd be golden, but Buck is definitely prone to streaks. Sometimes the hot or cold ones last a little shorter or longer than usual, but it's an up and down ride and I can't see that changing.

nope not harsh at all, all good.. I simply believe buck can and will do whats expected of him once he and the receivers all get on the same page and the blocking steps up.. simpson, normally a very good blocker, chunked a bunch today..

we all seem to forget this is still a new look offense as well.. it has to.be ironed out fully to get the wrinkles..

nope not harsh at all, all good.. I simply believe buck can and will do whats expected of him once he and the receivers all get on the same page and the blocking steps up.. simpson, normally a very good blocker, chunked a bunch today..

we all seem to forget this is still a new look offense as well.. it has to.be ironed out fully to get the wrinkles..

Fair enough, I disagree but can definitely understand where you're coming from.

Fair enough, I disagree but can definitely understand where you're coming from.

works for me, lol.. i can appriciate with what your opinion is as well.. its not looking like it will be enough.. but i see better days ahead... im also a uber optimist lol

The online has no answers for the blitz or the recievers arentn picking it up and adjusting their routes for a quick hit.

Generally blitz responsibility falls on the QB and coach.  There are 5 linemen and they can only block so many people.  If there's 8 at the line then its up to the QB to recognize that the numbers aren't in favour of the offense and adapt accordingly.

The exception to this is when you have Morley basically high-five the DT on his way to the QB.  

what part of inconsistent don't you understand? That means that sometimes he'll make the throw, other times he won't. This isn't judgements based solely on these first two games either, these are things Pierce has been showing for some time now. Burying your head in the sand hoping that he just magically gets it all of a sudden won;t help anything.