Free Agency - 2014...

Mr Dee

Why are we losing out on so many players when we are supposedly flush with money? Are we cheaping out again? I'm beginning to think things haven't changed & the excuses will be starting real soon. Well, they already have...

It was reported the Bombers had the highest offer in for Craig Butler. Alexander also said the Bombers made the best offer of multiple offers. Many feel the Bombers overpaid for Nick Moore.

Those are just a few examples. Can't always control where a player decides to sign.

I think we just draw a line in the sand & say that's it money wise when we could do more. And we don't. That's how I am reading this. We were told we'd be aggressive in FA & to an extent we are. But let's face it, Hamilton has been very aggressive doing things I thought we'd be doing. It's very frustrating. We need a guy like McCune to shore up our MLB position & bring a lot of toughness. Instead, we'll have some cheaper rookie inside getting torched.

Bombers offered Butler more money than Hamilton did. What exactly did you want the Bombers to do...kidnap Butler and force him to sign a contract? He signed with Hamilton for personal reasons. Can't control that.

Why are we losing out on so many players when we are supposedly flush with money? Are we cheaping out again? I'm beginning to think things haven't changed & the excuses will be starting real soon. Well, they already have...

It was reported the Bombers had the highest offer in for Craig Butler. Alexander also said the Bombers made the best offer of multiple offers. Many feel the Bombers overpaid for Nick Moore.

Those are just a few examples. Can't always control where a player decides to sign.

I think we just draw a line in the sand & say that's it money wise when we could do more. And we don't. That's how I am reading this. We were told we'd be aggressive in FA & to an extent we are. But let's face it, Hamilton has been very aggressive doing things I thought we'd be doing. It's very frustrating. We need a guy like McCune to shore up our MLB position & bring a lot of toughness. Instead, we'll have some cheaper rookie inside getting torched.

Bombers offered Butler more money than Hamilton did. What exactly did you want the Bombers to do...kidnap Butler and force him to sign a contract? He signed with Hamilton for personal reasons. Can't control that.

Do you have a source that says we offered Butler more money?  Thanks.

Do you have a source that says we offered Butler more money? Thanks.

I read a report or it was from a Bomber media persons twitter.

Why are we losing out on so many players that could fill holes & make us competitive (like McCune if he signs elsewhere) when we are supposedly flush with money? Are we cheaping out again? Other teams can sign these players but we can't. It's always about the money, it seems. We give a "final offer" & sit back & someone signs a player or a coach we want right in front of our frigging noses. I'm beginning to think things haven't changed & the excuses will be starting real soon. Well, they already have... What a crappy off season. 

It may have to do with being 3 - 15 last year and  still being a team with a lack of proven CFL QB experience on the team.

Why are we losing out on so many players that could fill holes & make us competitive (like McCune if he signs elsewhere) when we are supposedly flush with money? Are we cheaping out again? Other teams can sign these players but we can't. It's always about the money, it seems. We give a "final offer" & sit back & someone signs a player or a coach we want right in front of our frigging noses. I'm beginning to think things haven't changed & the excuses will be starting real soon. Well, they already have... What a crappy off season.

O'Shea is familiar with McCune, and if he's not signing him, there's probably a good reason. I don't know if he doesn't want to come here, is asking more than he's worth (no one else has signed him either) , or they're just in the process of working out some minor contract details, but on this one, I'm giving bombers the benefit of the doubt. Who knows, maybe he's saving the cap space for Ted Laurent or Glenn. Think positively!

O'Shea is familiar with McCune, and if he's not signing him, there's probably a good reason. I don't know if he doesn't want to come here, is asking more than he's worth (no one else has signed him either) , or they're just in the process of working out some minor contract details, but on this one, I'm giving bombers the benefit of the doubt. Who knows, maybe he's saving the cap space for Ted Laurent or Glenn. Think positively!

I'm not being facetious, but do you think Glenn would be a good fit here with all the bad history? I would think that as soon as he had one bad game or even a few bad plays the fans would be calling for his head and saying unkind things about him and Walters?

What do I want the Bombers to do? Quit coming in second with so many free agents. I expected us to be way more aggressive than we have been. In the CFL, it's all about the money because no one makes multi million dollar guaranteed contracts. It's not like the NHL where players sign "Home Discounts" to stay with a team for less money than the open market because their contracts are already very high to begin with.

CFL players will go where the money is because they have such a short career span to play. If one team offers more $$ players usually go. I'm not talking five grand, I mean substantial like $10,000 or $20,000 a year or more. So, this talk about us offering players more money yet they won't sign here, I have a hard time believing it. Maybe the odd one like Burris who got the CFL equivalent of the moon but more than one player like Butler, Collaros & even maybe now McCune? I don't believe it. Like I said, I believe we have an idea of what we'll pay & won't go over that amount one cent. Last year we were substantially under the cap from what I read & where did that get us?  

What do I want the Bombers to do? Quit coming in second with so many free agents. I expected us to be way more aggressive than we have been. In the CFL, it's all about the money because no one makes multi million dollar guaranteed contracts. It's not like the NHL where players sign "Home Discounts" to stay with a team for less money than the open market because their contracts are already very high to begin with.

CFL players will go where the money is because they have such a short career span to play. If one team offers more $$ players usually go. I'm not talking five grand, I mean substantial like $10,000 or $20,000 a year or more. So, this talk about us offering players more money yet they won't sign here, I have a hard time believing it. Maybe the odd one like Burris who got the CFL equivalent of the moon but more than one player like Butler, Collaros & even maybe now McCune? I don't believe it. Like I said, I believe we have an idea of what we'll pay & won't go over that amount one cent. Last year we were substantially under the cap from what I read & where did that get us?  

It isn't always all about money. And there are players who will give "home discounts" to teams and some who will sign with another team for less to be closer to home. Butler, for example, said he was going to sign with either BC (where he has a house) or Hamilton (area where he's from) and the Bombers offering him more money didn't sway his decision. It was also reported that one of the factors for Collaros signing in Hamilton was its closer proximity to where he's from. 

Yet Wally who is among the most successful General Manager's in the league operates the exact same way.

@FarhanLaljiTSN: Hearing that Arland Bruce has been released by the #Als. #CFL

Wasn't that a few weeks ago already?

No. He made his comments on Michael Sam a few weeks ago. He was rumoured to be on his way out anyway, but hadn't been officially cut at the time.

Not surprised it took them this long to do it. They had Ventrell Jenkins on their suspended list for about a year after he was arrested for beating up his girlfriend in 2012.

Guys, I'm just sayin'. Tired of losing. Tired of always being "years away" from having a good team. Miller promised us we'd be aggressive signing free agent players. Walters toned it down before FA started by saying we'd be active which had me concerned. There always seems to be a ready excuse for as to why we didn't sign someone. Hank was classic. He signed with Ottawa because he wanted his cousins to come watch him play. What a bunch of bullshit. Typical Hank. 

Must be time for someone's little stroll through the minefield of angst.

Has it been a month already?

Beat me to the punch.. Its unreal how it goes from "ok cool, we got neato coaches and some cool players..." To "omg, we lost out on mcclune even tho he hasnt signed ANYWHERE yet! Why we second banana again!rabble rabble rabble!"

Guys, I'm just sayin'. Tired of losing. Tired of always being "years away" from having a good team. Miller promised us we'd be aggressive signing free agent players. Walters toned it down before FA started by saying we'd be active which had me concerned. There always seems to be a ready excuse for as to why we didn't sign someone. Hank was classic. He signed with Ottawa because he wanted his cousins to come watch him play. What a bunch of bullshit. Typical Hank.

Same thing every time with you. Why aren't you ripping BC? They struck out on every player they wanted. Rip Saskatchewan for losing Sanders, Butler and Schmitt.

Every time someone signs in this league, another team or more loess out. Get used to it. No team gets everybody they want.

I think there's a lot more to the situation than just the cash on the table.  Lots of variables in play.  A player's looking for money, a chance to win, maybe be close to home, perhaps a coaching staff that's familiar with him or a place where he thinks he can become a star.  Teams are looking at finding players that fit their system, manage a cap, not overpay for someone but not cheap out, and certainly no team will ever put themselves in a position saying that they need to get Player A at whatever cost it takes.  There is always a cut-off point.  That's just good business.

Playoff money my man, it matters to FAs in a lot of cases too. Yeah maybe Winnipeg and Hamilton offered the same money, but if you want to plan on getting some playoff money as well isn't Hamilton playing in a 4 team division with an expansion team more likely to hit the playoffs than Winnipeg in a 5 team and very tough western division? Until this franchise stabilizes itself you gotta expect free agents to be leery of coming here. 

Playoff money my man, it matters to FAs in a lot of cases too. Yeah maybe Winnipeg and Hamilton offered the same money, but if you want to plan on getting some playoff money as well isn't Hamilton playing in a 4 team division with an expansion team more likely to hit the playoffs than Winnipeg in a 5 team and very tough western division? Until this franchise stabilizes itself you gotta expect free agents to be leery of coming here. 

I agree with everything you say. It's frustrating as hell. I honestly think we have to overpay. That's just the way it is. In order to win games, we have to do business like that. Staying the course won't work. Once the team improves we can be a bit more prudent but initially, no. 

Same thing every time with you. Why aren't you ripping BC? They struck out on every player they wanted. Rip Saskatchewan for losing Sanders, Butler and Schmitt.

Every time someone signs in this league, another team or more loess out. Get used to it. No team gets everybody they want.

Rip Wally? Winningest coach in CFL history & uber successful GM? Walters & O'Shea only hope to win half as many games as Buono has the past 25 years. Sask built their team to win a GC at home & now they're up against the cap. Their 1 year gamble paid off. Somehow I knew you'd come after me even though everyone else kept the discussion civil. Why don't you just hit ignore if you find peoples comments not to your liking all the time? I won't miss you. You won't miss me. So,please, go ahead.. You're always getting PO'd about something.