Free Agency - 2014...

Mr Dee

The redblacks are throwing money around like they think the cap for salaries is going to be raised substantially. I mean, who haven't they signed? To me, they're pretty financially irresponsible. I mean, they've hired Marcel Desjardins as GM from the Als who overspent on players like Casey printers in Hamilton & was eventually run out of town. And now he's back as redblacks GM & spending like a finance minister from Quebec. And the fanbase in Ottawa has responded by only buying 14,000 season tickets. Give it a couple of years & they'll be in trouble. AGAIN.

The redblacks are throwing money around like they think the cap for salaries is going to be raised substantially. I mean, who haven't they signed? To me, they're pretty financially irresponsible. I mean, they've hired Marcel Desjardins as GM from the Als who overspent on players like Casey printers in Hamilton & was eventually run out of town. And now he's back as redblacks GM & spending like a finance minister from Quebec. And the fanbase in Ottawa has responded by only buying 14,000 season tickets. Give it a couple of years & they'll be in trouble. AGAIN.

Aside from Burris who have they signed?

Okay, so searched  & came up with these names. I may have missed some players. These are all veteran players & will command top salaries as compared to rookie free agent signings...Of course, there was qb Hank Burris as we all know. Along with the disgruntled qb Kevin Glenn & Thomas DeMarco who were selected both in the expansion draft. Other CFL veteran free agent signings have been LB TJ Hill, LB Brandon Lang, LB Malik Jackson, LB Kevin Scott, SB Matt Carter, SB Aaron Hargreaves, K Derek Schiavone, K Justin Palardy & DB Bo Smith. They traded for Stamps DT Justin Phillips & of course their drafted players from the expansion draft. A lot of money tied up in all of these these players. Good luck to the redblacks.

They've thrown a lot of money at older veteran CFL players either at the start of free agency on February 11th or players that have been released after that. If there was a site that named the players signed, I'd give them to you.

Do we know how much they gave to these older players?

Doesn't other teams also have to pay older players?

Doesn't it make sense to have more experienced guys for an expansion team?

Okay, so searched  & came up with these names. I may have missed some players. These are all veteran players & will command top salaries as compared to rookie free agent signings...Of course, there was qb Hank Burris as we all know. Along with the disgruntled qb Kevin Glenn & Thomas DeMarco who were selected both in the expansion draft. Other CFL veteran free agent signings have been LB TJ Hill, LB Brandon Lang, LB Malik Jackson, LB Kevin Scott, SB Matt Carter, SB Aaron Hargreaves, K Derek Schiavone, K Justin Palardy & DB Bo Smith. They traded for Stamps DT Justin Phillips & of course their drafted players from the expansion draft. A lot of money tied up in all of these these players. Good luck to the redblacks.

Most of those vets were either unsigned or available at a bargain...  Maybe they overpaid for JJ - but I don't see anyone that they are breaking the bank for

Yes, it does. But these are veteran players who will get top dollar. Some of them are pretty old & have seen better days. I don't know Desjardins long term plan to build an actual winner.I think he'll be up against the cap because he hasn't showed sign s of trying to  be responsible financially as a GM. Id salaries go up he'll be directly responsible. 

Most of those vets were either unsigned or available at a bargain...  Maybe they overpaid for JJ - but I don't see anyone that they are breaking the bank for

Nah, he may have got some for a bargain but I'd think the majority he has paid top dollar for. 

I wonder if Wally will be looking to trade Westerman now?

Anyone know hats going on with Ted Laurent? Any serious NFL interest?

Why would he be looking to trade Westerman?

Because he told Wally he won't be extending

Not quite. He told Wally he didn't want to extend right now... not that he wouldn't consider it in the future. He probably wants to use this year to prove himself as a starter and get starter's money, which I'm sure Wally isn't offering at the moment.

Not quite. He told Wally he didn't want to extend right now... not that he wouldn't consider it in the future. He probably wants to use this year to prove himself as a starter and get starter's money, which I'm sure Wally isn't offering at the moment.

Or he might want to wait for the new CBA.

Or he might want to wait for the new CBA.

Or maybe not.

Anybody else surprised Harris didn't play out this year and see what he could have gotten in free agency?

His base salary is $145,000 and has incentives worth up to an additional $30,000 for a max of $175,000 per season. Perhaps he could have squeezed out a few more thousand elsewhere, but I think he is quite comfortable on the coast.