Gary Etcheverry interviewed for Bombers DC job

gbill2004

No Etch and definitely no Marshall... god if we have Marshall we might as well forfeit every game against Ricky Ray since it's a given that he'll throw 40 straight complete passes and keep the offense on the field 75% of the game.   

As said before... why settle for guys who have been around the league and have never excelled above mediocrity.    I'd rather give it to someone with at least a chance to rise to the top. 

O'Shea did play for Etcheverry in Toronto - a couple years when Etcheverry was DC and when he was HC.

So this leads me to believe that o'shea would be versed in etcheverry's game plans and schemes...or that if he was.hired that o'shea would have input into the defenses..

Interesting article...

Gary Etcheverry: The 'Mad Scientist' or 'Brilliant Mind'

Gary Etcheverry's departure was a pretty clear portrayal of his time with the team: head scratching and polarizing.

The defensive assistant has reportedly taken a job in the energy sector that is a lot more financially lucrative than his coaching career, especially now that he was relegated to an 'effort coach' with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, as described by the new Head Coach Greg Marshall.

Etcheverry hated that moniker! When I spoke to 'Etch' after he accepted his reduced roll within the coaching staff, he discussed that 'effort coach' moniker head on with a question, 'is that all (I'm) going to do?" He thought of himself more as a consultant within the coaching staff, someone to give a 'different' point of view and perspective on how the defence could be successful.

And that's where you see the problem with the new set up that saw a defensive coordinator taking a reduced roll to 'effort coach' or 'consultant'. The defence of the Saskatchewan Roughriders is now Richie Hall's and Greg Marshall's, not Etcheverry's. Though Hall clearly took in some Etcheverry style schemes in 2008 when Etch helped out the coaching staff when Ron Estay left the team for health reasons, the current coaching staff's philosophies are similar to those of Hall and Marshall.

They believe in bigger defensive front sevens, who shut down the run, and make offenses put the ball in the air. Etcheverry said run it all you want, the only way you win consistently in the CFL is throwing the football.

You start to feel why the energy business, more money and maybe more time with family was an easy thing to jump at for Etcheverry, being somewhat of an outcast in the new regime.

But the departure is a loss for the Saskatchewan Roughriders and some believe it was unfair that Etcheverry, who ran a pretty solid/athletic defence the last two years, received a demotion under new Head Coach Greg Marshall.

While Etcheverry didn't want to be labeled an 'effort coach', that is the ideal roll for the veteran coach. 'Effort is our Edge' was the motto for the Riders defence under Etch. He was constantly barking day after day after day in practice and in game to 'get to the ball', 'be onside', take the correct angles and it showed on the field. The Roughriders defence under Gary Etcheverry may have given up some rushing yards but it did win and help put the team in two Grey Cups, where the defence gave the team the chance to win both games.

Etcheverry's defensive philosophy put players like Tad Kornegay in position to show off their athleticism. Kornegay was a 180 lbs linebacker! He wasn't there to stop the run, but be able to track down the running back or the fifth or sixth receiver in the passing game. Kornegay was in my opinion the defensive MVP the last two seasons and the veteran appreciated the opportunity to make plays.

Kornegay tweeted about the departure of Etcheverry by saying, "to all rider fans Coach Etch was the man who gave me the opportunity to showcase my talent to the fullest...special man that will be missed."

Though Kornegay doesn't represent the entire defence, Etcheverry did have his detractors, but it should signal that there were fans of Coach Etcheverry in the locker room.

Etcheverry tried different things that were met with criticism by not only his own players but with the sports media, which Etcheverry didn't ignore and wouldn't hesitate to snap back at commentators like Glen Suitor when pushed on his 'unconventional' defences.

While many in Rider Nation will be watching Greg Marshall very closely after taking over for Ken Miller, Richie Hall should be just as much under the microscope to see if his defence is one that wins.

Back in February Etcheverry, almost prophetically, mentioned that it will be interesting to look back after 2011 and see which teams, who hired new defensive coordinators, struggled or failed when he was on the market and his phone remained silent. And he's right, it will be interesting.

Who wrote this drivel?

Interesting article...

Gary Etcheverry: The 'Mad Scientist' or 'Brilliant Mind'

Gary Etcheverry's departure was a pretty clear portrayal of his time with the team: head scratching and polarizing.

The defensive assistant has reportedly taken a job in the energy sector that is a lot more financially lucrative than his coaching career, especially now that he was relegated to an 'effort coach' with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, as described by the new Head Coach Greg Marshall.

Etcheverry hated that moniker! When I spoke to 'Etch' after he accepted his reduced roll within the coaching staff, he discussed that 'effort coach' moniker head on with a question, 'is that all (I'm) going to do?" He thought of himself more as a consultant within the coaching staff, someone to give a 'different' point of view and perspective on how the defence could be successful.

And that's where you see the problem with the new set up that saw a defensive coordinator taking a reduced roll to 'effort coach' or 'consultant'. The defence of the Saskatchewan Roughriders is now Richie Hall's and Greg Marshall's, not Etcheverry's. Though Hall clearly took in some Etcheverry style schemes in 2008 when Etch helped out the coaching staff when Ron Estay left the team for health reasons, the current coaching staff's philosophies are similar to those of Hall and Marshall.

They believe in bigger defensive front sevens, who shut down the run, and make offenses put the ball in the air. Etcheverry said run it all you want, the only way you win consistently in the CFL is throwing the football.

You start to feel why the energy business, more money and maybe more time with family was an easy thing to jump at for Etcheverry, being somewhat of an outcast in the new regime.

But the departure is a loss for the Saskatchewan Roughriders and some believe it was unfair that Etcheverry, who ran a pretty solid/athletic defence the last two years, received a demotion under new Head Coach Greg Marshall.

While Etcheverry didn't want to be labeled an 'effort coach', that is the ideal roll for the veteran coach. 'Effort is our Edge' was the motto for the Riders defence under Etch. He was constantly barking day after day after day in practice and in game to 'get to the ball', 'be onside', take the correct angles and it showed on the field. The Roughriders defence under Gary Etcheverry may have given up some rushing yards but it did win and help put the team in two Grey Cups, where the defence gave the team the chance to win both games.

Etcheverry's defensive philosophy put players like Tad Kornegay in position to show off their athleticism. Kornegay was a 180 lbs linebacker! He wasn't there to stop the run, but be able to track down the running back or the fifth or sixth receiver in the passing game. Kornegay was in my opinion the defensive MVP the last two seasons and the veteran appreciated the opportunity to make plays.

Kornegay tweeted about the departure of Etcheverry by saying, "to all rider fans Coach Etch was the man who gave me the opportunity to showcase my talent to the fullest...special man that will be missed."

Though Kornegay doesn't represent the entire defence, Etcheverry did have his detractors, but it should signal that there were fans of Coach Etcheverry in the locker room.

Etcheverry tried different things that were met with criticism by not only his own players but with the sports media, which Etcheverry didn't ignore and wouldn't hesitate to snap back at commentators like Glen Suitor when pushed on his 'unconventional' defences.

While many in Rider Nation will be watching Greg Marshall very closely after taking over for Ken Miller, Richie Hall should be just as much under the microscope to see if his defence is one that wins.

Back in February Etcheverry, almost prophetically, mentioned that it will be interesting to look back after 2011 and see which teams, who hired new defensive coordinators, struggled or failed when he was on the market and his phone remained silent. And he's right, it will be interesting.

Who wrote this drivel?

After google-ing, it looks like Jamie Nye wrote it in a blog...  http://www.greenzonefootball.com/blog/gary-etcheverry-mad-scientist-or-brilliant-mind/7931

What is it about the Bombers always getting the table scraps from other teams? Guess we'll see how this works out but on the other site Marshall was mentioned as being in the mix as well ... ARGGHHHH! :(

When was the last time a coach in Winnipeg had their contract expire before they were fired? That is the reason right there. When a place has a habit of firing coaches basically every year no one wants to take that risk. 

My word. You guys act like there is a plethora of elite level defensive geniuses just waiting around for work..

While I agree with most sentiments here on the quality of these guys, I honestly wonder what you guys were expecting? Nelson took the chance to make something literally from nothing versus trying a rebuild, cant fault that... stubler took the easy road, knowing his defense is set... To me, that smells of laziness or paycheque puncher... Cant fault him either but id rather someone who wants the challenge revamping the defense.. Someone who is more here for the desire to do something bigger and more fulfilling then picking up an old playbook..

To me, that would be either new blood or someone o'shea trusts...

My word. You guys act like there is a plethora of elite level defensive geniuses just waiting around for work..

While I agree with most sentiments here on the quality of these guys, I honestly wonder what you guys were expecting? Nelson took the chance to make something literally from nothing versus trying a rebuild, cant fault that... stubler took the easy road, knowing his defense is set... To me, that smells of laziness or paycheque puncher... Cant fault him either but id rather someone who wants the challenge revamping the defense.. Someone who is more here for the desire to do something bigger and more fulfilling then picking up an old playbook..

You consider it laziness that a person chooses to work in a situation which is more conducive to being successful?  Let alone that it is geographically closer to his home...

With the hours and work load that coaches put in during the season, laziness is not a quality that a coach who has been in the league for as long as Stubler has been would posess.

That statement just smells of sour grapes that he didn't choose Winnipeg.    Wonder if you would feel the seem if the Bombers ever turn themselves into a perennial contender and we are able to attract players and coaches as their "first" choice.  Will you still call them lazy for coming here?

No Etch and definitely no Marshall... god if we have Marshall we might as well forfeit every game against Ricky Ray since it's a given that he'll throw 40 straight complete passes and keep the offense on the field 75% of the game.   

As said before... why settle for guys who have been around the league and have never excelled above mediocrity.    I'd rather give it to someone with at least a chance to rise to the top. 

It should be noted that the Bombers w/ Greg Marshall were 3-2-1 in 3 seasons against Ricky Ray and the Eskimos.

It should be noted that the Bombers w/ Greg Marshall were 3-2-1 in 3 seasons against Ricky Ray and the Eskimos.

But wasn't it a Greg Marshall defense that Jason Maas had set the record for straight completions?  (I could be incorrect but was just wondering)

You consider it laziness that a person chooses to work in a situation which is more conducive to being successful? Let alone that it is geographically closer to his home...

With the hours and work load that coaches put in during the season, laziness is not a quality that a coach who has been in the league for as long as Stubler has been would posess.

That statement just smells of sour grapes that he didn't choose Winnipeg. Wonder if you would feel the seem if the Bombers ever turn themselves into a perennial contender and we are able to attract players and coaches as their "first" choice. Will you still call them lazy for coming here?

I know its wishful thinking but i hope marcel manages to put an offense together that destroys calgary to be honest..

We offered him more money AND the opportunity to prove himself as a DC who can work wonders.. He chose the soft, easy route.. So if you say its sour grapes for calling it as i see it, so be it.. Would i have liked stubler? Sure, his resume speaks volumes. So much, in fact, i thought this challenge was right up his alley.. Guess i was wrong about his fortitude..