Gary Etcheverry interviewed for Bombers DC job

gbill2004

No Etch and definitely no Marshall... god if we have Marshall we might as well forfeit every game against Ricky Ray since it's a given that he'll throw 40 straight complete passes and keep the offense on the field 75% of the game.   

As said before... why settle for guys who have been around the league and have never excelled above mediocrity.    I'd rather give it to someone with at least a chance to rise to the top. 

It should be noted that the Bombers w/ Greg Marshall were 3-2-1 in 3 seasons against Ricky Ray and the Eskimos.

But wasn't it a Greg Marshall defense that Jason Maas had set the record for straight completions?  (I could be incorrect but was just wondering

That was 2004.   I believe Daley was the coach and Mike Gorton took over as DC.

My word. You guys act like there is a plethora of elite level defensive geniuses just waiting around for work..

While I agree with most sentiments here on the quality of these guys, I honestly wonder what you guys were expecting? Nelson took the chance to make something literally from nothing versus trying a rebuild, cant fault that... stubler took the easy road, knowing his defense is set... To me, that smells of laziness or paycheque puncher... Cant fault him either but id rather someone who wants the challenge revamping the defense.. Someone who is more here for the desire to do something bigger and more fulfilling then picking up an old playbook..

To me, that would be either new blood or someone o'shea trusts...

You're completely discounting the fact that Calgary is a perennial contender with a solid GM and front office framework in place. 

Winnipeg has a decade-long track record of being cheap and having a highly dysfunctional front office. For Cripes sake, we just blew the entire thing up! 

So excuse a tenured coach like Stubler for not playing "crapshoot" with his career. 

You gotta earn respect and being a desirable place where established, experienced coaches want to be. We have the systems in place to get that reputation again but it won't be this year or the next. And it won't come just by having a nice stadium or believing were the "most passionate fans" blah blah. 

Run this club like a successful business for 3 years and the see the kind of coordinators that suddenly start showing up. 

Whoever we get, I just hope he meshes well with what O'Shea wants to do on defence. Mr. O'Shea likely has his own idea of what type of schemes and defence he'd like to run being a former perennial all star Middle LB/player coach. And I'm sure what he wants to do is a great idea, so lets hope there is somebody available who fits the mould he's looking for.

Pickings are slim indeed.... We have no idea how the hiring process for coordinators is done by the Bombers compared to other teams. If they aren't paying what they should to attract the best candidates to maybe taking too long to make decisions thereby allowing other teams to scoop up the coaches they really want. Or if coaches truly don't want to come here. It does seem that any excitement & momentum the team had after the O'Shea hiring has now come to a stop.

It's December and we have a new HC, OC, and GM. I would suggest that the Bombers are moving pretty quickly. I know people are getting antsy but the truth is that we may not get a chance to talk to some potential coaches we want until into the new year because they are under contract and permission was not granted by their respective clubs. This nonsense that somehow we are way behind in hiring our DC or filling out our coaching staff is premature. Take a breath people.

We hear a couple names like Etcheverry and Marshall and people panic. It could be that these guys are not high on our list but are available so O'Shea does not want to leave any stones unturned.

This is what ModAdmin was referring to: 

Arash Madani ‏@ArashMadani 19 Dec
FWIW, the #Bombers emphatically denied Kavis Reed will be their next def coordinator. This after I was told Stubler was Calgary bound. #CFL

So far Madani is the only one who has reported that as far as I know.

Would Marshall really that bad of a choice?  He wouldn't be my first, but if that's who we ended up with, and we had a very consistent offence, he wouldn't do too bad.

His best defence with the Bombers was in 2007, and our offence was quite consistent that year up to October.

Would Marshall really that bad of a choice?  He wouldn't be my first, but if that's who we ended up with, and we had a very consistent offence, he wouldn't do too bad.

His best defence with the Bombers was in 2007, and our offence was quite consistent that year up to October.

The problem is .. I have no faith that we will field a competant offense let alone a consistent one .. it's a case of, "Please prove me wrong."

Marshall's unit most certainly wouldn't be a difference making one .. and frankly .. I don't know that we have a secondary suited to keeping guys in front of them on a regular basis .. we saw how bad they were last year when asked to play zone .. and I get a sense that, with the players we have now, we'd be better playing an aggressive, attacking style of defense .. not Marshall's game at all.

Bob Irving says Greg Marshall is "in the running". 5:38 Sports this morning.

I'm not too worried about Marshall being "in the running."

That's sorta like being "on the cusp."

I'd be more concerned if he said he's the man to beat.

And yes, v, I'd like a more aggressive D.

This is what ModAdmin was referring to: 

Arash Madani ‏@ArashMadani 19 Dec
FWIW, the #Bombers emphatically denied Kavis Reed will be their next def coordinator. This after I was told Stubler was Calgary bound. #CFL

So far Madani is the only one who has reported that as far as I know.

Looking at our options, I'd be thrilled to have Kavis right about now.

When Marshall goes somewhere, he usually seems to be able to fix a broken defense temporarily. But...not too hard for opposing offences to figure out what schemes he is running, so if a team makes the playoffs...his defensive schemes usually suffer.

He is the last D coordinator I would want back.

The only salvation might be that O'Shea has his own ideas of how he wants the D run and Marshall would have to comply.