Gary Etcheverry interviewed for Bombers DC job

gbill2004

When Marshall goes somewhere, he usually seems to be able to fix a broken defense temporarily. But...not too hard for opposing offences to figure out what schemes he is running, so if a team makes the playoffs...his defensive schemes usually suffer.

He is the last D coordinator I would want back.

The only salvation might be that O'Shea has his own ideas of how he wants the D run and Marshall would have to comply.

So what happens when an OC with a lay back style of defence works for an aggressive Head Coach?I am kind of thinking that would be a good part of the discussion in the interviews. We don't have a wishy , washy coach any more.I like the fact they are taking the time to find the right mix.

Any idea what a ridiculous amount Randolph makes in the NCAA?......

Well the head coach of ASU makes 2.3 million, so its probably a fair guess to say Randolph makes more there as the DC than he could here.

Doesn't mean he would never want to come here..for some people money is not everything!

Well the head coach of ASU makes 2.3 million, so its probably a fair guess to say Randolph makes more there as the DC than he could here.

Doesn't mean he would never want to come here..for some people money is not everything!

Yep that's true.

I'm not a huge fan of Greg Marshall's defences... but are they really much different than Stubler's?  They're both constructed on the "bend-but-don't-break" philosophy.  Hate giving up large chunks of yardage... but if we were able to implement a good ball control offense, they would work well together. 

I think the players are there on defence to make his scheme reasonable effective quickly.  The real challenge would be the "good ball control offense" part... 

I'm not a huge fan of Greg Marshall's defences... but are they really much different than Stubler's?  They're both constructed on the "bend-but-don't-break" philosophy.  Hate giving up large chunks of yardage... but if we were able to implement a good ball control offense, they would work well together. 

I think the players are there on defence to make his scheme reasonable effective quickly.  The real challenge would be the "good ball control offense" part... 

They are a little bit different but yeah you're right they are the same philosophy. Make teams make 10+ plays to score. I think Marshall is a bit less adaptable than Stubler which leads to his defenses not having as long a shelf life. 

Yep that's true.

Right. So a DC for a college team making high 6 figures a year (plus his kids getting a free college education) is going to head north for 150K?

Money isn't everything but its the biggest thing.

Yep that's true.

Right. So a DC for a college team making high 6 figures a year (plus his kids getting a free college education) is going to head north for 150K?

Obviously it is for you...perhaps not for someone else

I think $$ is a huge consideration. Coaches are hired to be fired, move around a lot & money has to be the biggest consideration for them & their families futures.  If a coach gets on with a great college program he could conceivably coach there the rest of his working life or for a huge stretch of time. The money on a big D1 team as a coach is outstanding & yes, his kid's college educations are covered. Most coaches would jump at  that. But there are a few who want more.or to be in charge. Kent Austin is one of them. He came back to the CFL but as the guy in charge of all aspects of Hamilton's on field operations. Bob Young handed him  the keys to the organization, is paying him extremely well & told him to go do what he needs to do to build a Grey Cup winner. Is that the same as a former CFL player in Paul Randolph, having a good thing going at ASU as an associate head coach coming back here as a Defensive Coordinator? To me, it's not. In addition to not having a say in the team's operation other than his defense, it would be a significant pay cut (to the point of being the biggest draw back) for Randolph. It's also a huge risk coming to a team that is rebuilding with no guarantee of success. Randolph could be fired a year from now. Besides, he's been gone two decades from the CFL.The game is different now than when he played linebacker for us. Just can't see it happening.

Yep that's true.

Obviously it is for you...perhaps not for someone else

In pro sports, the kind of people who don't consider money as the 1A deciding factor are already in the "giving back" phase of their careers. And you can probably count them on one hand. 

The only scenario I could realistically see happening is Mike Riley coming back in 5 years or so -- once his kids are graduated and he's even more comfortable financially and ready for a seasonal coaching gig again. 

And I doubt that will ever happen. 

Mike Riley will be in his mid to late 60's by then & probably retired. Sitting on a beach somewhere or in his home in Oregon enjoying life.

What? He wouldn't want to give that all up to come back to Winnipeg and face the idiot Winnipeg media on a daily basis? Who wouldn't want that? A chance to be grilled by the indomitable intellect of Paul Friesen every day? Sounds much better than a beach. :)

Mike Riley will be in his mid to late 60's by then & probably retired. Sitting on a beach somewhere or in his home in Oregon enjoying life.

What? He wouldn't want to give that all up to come back to Winnipeg and face the idiot Winnipeg media on a daily basis? Who wouldn't want that? A chance to be grilled by the indomitable intellect of Paul Friesen every day? Sounds much better than a beach. :)

It's a sad but true statement about the media. Our media and their ... lack of general intellect has dissuaded a coach from coming here before and it will again. Guys like Friesen are not good for the city or the club.

It's a sad but true statement about the media. Our media and their ... lack of general intellect has dissuaded a coach from coming here before and it will again. Guys like Friesen are not good for the city or the club.

I remember that. Which coach was that again?

The most recent example that was made public was Jim Barker, but that was just as much to blame on a leak within the club as it was the media. There was a name that turned down an interview when we ultimately hired LaPolice, but I can't remember who it was at the moment. I want to say Milanovich, but I could be wrong.

Pretty sure "dealing with WPG media" is probably far down the list of worries when coaches/players consider coming here.

Maybe. But there is a pretty wide disparity between what coaches have to deal with from the media here versus any other place in the CFL. Winnipeg is the only place where the media really "grills" the coaches and GM... in Toronto, BC, etc, nobody cares enough and in Regina the media eats right out of the Riders' hands regardless of how poor they are doing. Even in 2011 when the Riders were 5-13, it was tough to hear a negative word spoken about the Riders in that province. Nope, the amount of media bullshit that coaches have to deal with is highest in Winnipeg and its really not even close.

I'm pretty sure the fans 

Pretty sure "dealing with WPG media" is probably far down the list of worries when coaches/players consider coming here.

Maybe. But there is a pretty wide disparity between what coaches have to deal with from the media here versus any other place in the CFL. Winnipeg is the only place where the media really "grills" the coaches and GM... in Toronto, BC, etc, nobody cares enough and in Regina the media eats right out of the Riders' hands regardless of how poor they are doing. Even in 2011 when the Riders were 5-13, it was tough to hear a negative word spoken about the Riders in that province. Nope, the amount of media bullshit that coaches have to deal with is highest in Winnipeg and its really not even close.

Im pretty sure the fans are more sensitive to this than the coaches. 

The only coach we've had who couldn't effectively handle the media was Mike Kelly and he would've had a hard time in any city.