Free Agency Day - Non-Bombers CFL News

1 hour ago, Booch said:

KSB is about as overated a receiver as their is...horrible route runner..no technique...and the other 2...let's see if that was a one off..

I'm not sure why we are even talking about the Rider offence? Their defence was a disaster last year and I don't see any significant moves there at all. But..but..but Thurman some will say. Sorry...just a younger Larry Dean. Lateral move at best. They have little talent on D and unless their recruitment knocks it out of the park they are going to be near the bottom of the CFL on D.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Who are their receivers...Bane...Emilus...and?? 

And throwing money at random positions when your core and structure sucks isn't a winning formula

The Riders had good talent at Receiver and at RB last season,  the main issue was that terrible o-line.   They did good this off season to help improve that weakness.  

The D still is very poor and we will see if Mace can clean out the trouble players and create a disciplined team.    They also lack depth big time.  

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The Riders had mediocre talent at Receiver and at RB last season,  the main issue was that terrible o-line.   They did good this off season to help improve that weakness.  

The D still is very poor and we will see if Mace can clean out the trouble players and create a disciplined team.    They also lack depth big time.  

Fixed it for you 😁

1 hour ago, IC Khari said:

Fixed it for you 😁

Two 1100 yard receivers and a 3rd with 880 with having guys like Dolegala throwing the ball at them...  they were not mediocre at all.    It was a position of strength for them.      

On 2/14/2024 at 8:08 PM, wbbfan said:

If he starts at wil out of camp he’s going to be the talk of the league.  He plays on more of an edge than most of our front guys for the past while, is soo explosive and has a great instinct. Love watching him play. 

My prediction is Bighill and Wilson are still the starters but Cole will be rotating in a lot… ideally we use the designated Canadian rule on Bighill to allow for even more flexibility on D… but that remains to be seen

28 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Two 1100 yard receivers and a 3rd with 880 with having guys like Dolegala throwing the ball at them...  they were not mediocre at all.    It was a position of strength for them.      

Someone is going to get yards every year. Those guys are solid but not spectacular. Not one of them is on the level of the top teir receivers who can put the thing on their back if needed.

47 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Yea but there was an interesting stat about Bane, that probably applies to the other receivers as well, that almost 70% of his yardage came in what is generally regarded as garbage time in a losing effort. Sometimes stats can be misleading.

I'd like to see the overall passing yardage by Q for the Riders last year. Bad teams tend to have a higher than normal passing yardage in 4Q as teams go prevent to seal off wins.

Any time you see 3 receivers near 1000 on a 6 win team a deeper dive into that stat is required imo.

Edited by GCn20

40 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I probably should have said “middle of the pack” then. I’m just so used to referring to anything Riders as mediocre these last 5 years 😉

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Someone is going to get yards every year. Those guys are solid but not spectacular. Not one of them is on the level of the top teir receivers who can put the thing on their back if needed.

Their record last year speaks for itself as to what kind of impact they had.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

KSB is about as overated a receiver as their is...horrible route runner..no technique...and the other 2...let's see if that was a one off..

Garbage time yardage for the most part. Their production will drop if the Riders are more competitive this year.

The Riders had a terrible defense and were continously playing from behind so that is a slight modifier on why they were pass heavy.     Once again... they had Harris healthy for only a bit and were playing Dolegala and Fine who were not good at all.   Bane made some outstanding catches and Emilius was really solid and consistent.    

I'd imagine people on here wouldn't be so ignorant to say that just because they hate the Riders that they default into saying every player on that team sucks and that they were over rated and stats are misleading etc...    

It is perfectly fine to admit that they had talent at certain positions ,  we don't have to pretend that they sucked everywhere.      

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Emilus, Lenius, KSB, Bane doesn’t really seem like that bad of a set of receivers. Three guys with 1000 yard potential for sure, I mean it’s obvious they don’t have a Schoen or Lawler but they’re not trotting trash out there.

There's nobody anyone is worried about 1 on 1 in there.  Maybe Bane.  KSB has some YAC ability but is pretty limited in terms of creating space for himself.  Him and Lenius are also constantly banged up.  No one in there that's much of a vertical threat.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

The Riders had a terrible defense and were continously playing from behind so that is a slight modifier on why they were pass heavy.     Once again... they had Harris healthy for only a bit and were playing Dolegala and Fine who were not good at all.   Bane made some outstanding catches and Emilius was really solid and consistent.    

I'd imagine people on here wouldn't be so ignorant to say that just because they hate the Riders that they default into saying every player on that team sucks and that they were over rated and stats are misleading etc...    

It is perfectly fine to admit that they had talent at certain positions ,  we don't have to pretend that they sucked everywhere.      

Not saying sucked, just stats are misleading. None of them were particularly great when the game was being contested and they were facing real coverage.  That's not to say they sucked either, just that their yardage totals are a bit misleading.

56 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There's nobody anyone is worried about 1 on 1 in there.  Maybe Bane.  KSB has some YAC ability but is pretty limited in terms of creating space for himself.  Him and Lenius are also constantly banged up.  No one in there that's much of a vertical threat.

Yea, Bane is about the only above average receiver they have.

Edited by GCn20

11 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Not saying sucked, just stats are misleading. None of them were particularly great when the game was being contested and they were facing real coverage.  That's not to say they sucked either, just that their yardage totals are a bit misleading.

Yea, Bane is about the only above average receiver they have.

Are we really pretending Emilus isn’t a great receiver? Better season numbers wise than Demski, catching passes from Rainbow Jake. If we had a 2nd year Canadian breaking 1000 yards with a backup QB throwing the majority of the passes, we’d be going nuts over him. 

I know a lot of the Riders numbers were garbage time numbers, but Emilus had a lot of early game impact. Real big fan of his.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

Are we really pretending Emilus isn’t a great receiver? Better season numbers wise than Demski, catching passes from Rainbow Jake. If we had a 2nd year Canadian breaking 1000 yards with a backup QB throwing the majority of the passes, we’d be going nuts over him. 

I know a lot of the Riders numbers were garbage time numbers, but Emilus had a lot of early game impact. Real big fan of his.

Emilus is good, not suggesting otherwise, is he a consistent 1000 yard guy..I'm not sure. Is he better than Demski? Maybe..although Demski is far more dangerous imo. However, Nic is our number 3 by a pretty large margin and Sam is their 1 or 1b.

I'm not trying to suggest the Riders receivers are crap, they are not. They just aren't near the top of the league receiving corps. They don't have that guy like Schoen/Lawler/Mack etc that can take over games.

Edited by GCn20