Free Agency Day - Bombers Moves

Walters said he doesn't expect to sign any CFL free agents in the coming days.  

"We just don't have any money," he said. "The spots that are available are going to be for training-camp battles for young players, for first-year players. If somebody wants to come in on a minimum contract, we might kick the tires on that."

19 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Dobson and Eli were very much development guys last year. We will need to unearth a new tackle but outside of that...we're fine. Depth will take a bit of a hit, but like you said there will likely be a signing or two and if history is any indicator. They will be more than ready to step in if needed.

Losing Gray really hurts. I don't get signing Kolo but not Gray... 

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Losing Gray really hurts. I don't get signing Kolo but not Gray... 

yeah....picked the wrong guy....unless it was a money crunch thing....but Kolo at best should be 6th guy on depth chart....and he is a horrible 6th guy as any injury prob means a right oline shuffle in game

6 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

"We just don't have any money," he said. "The spots that are available are going to be for training-camp battles for young players, for first-year players. If somebody wants to come in on a minimum contract, we might kick the tires on that."

I dont see how this is possible.

5 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

You create space by releasing some older backup or special teams players. Maybe a couple of older starting veterans. I don't feel that we';ve done enough of that. There has to be some older deadwood we can prune to sign players. Besides, why can't we just go over the cap? Is living within an insanely small salary cap & trying to make it wor really worth it if we start losing games & attendance starts to drop? That'll hurt way more if we are a million dollars or more down in revenue instead of paying the fine up to $100 grand before losing a first round draft pick. So, I feel Walters should just do it. 

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah....picked the wrong guy....unless it was a money crunch thing....but Kolo at best should be 6th guy on depth chart....and he is a horrible 6th guy as any injury prob means a right oline shuffle in game

I don't get how we can be in such salary cap hell because of two players? You l;ook around the league & other teams seem to have the money to find players. We've lost a bunch of players so wouldn't that create more cap space??

3 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

It's not good, how many holes do they have to fill? Team depth is walking out the door.

But, the team saw all these guys and figured they could replace them for cheaper. It's going to hurt, but, imo, it's worth it for what we kept. 

We need to reload for 2025. 

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't get how we can be in such salary cap hell because of two players? You l;ook around the league & other teams seem to have the money to find players. We've lost a bunch of players so wouldn't that create more cap space??

Collaros and Lawler also big factors. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I suspect Walters has a little bit of money if the right player, for the right price, comes along. 

Well, we sign Schoen & Brady & we're paupers? Maybe that wasn't the right thing to do. Maybe we should have let one go. They both even signed on the cheap to help the Bombers out. . We should have money & yet we don't. I'm scratching my head about this. 

This is the depth chart of guys under contract with significant CFL reps.  Going to be a big transition year.

QB- Collaros, Streveler
RB- OLIVIERA
WR- Lawler
SB-
SB- DEMSKI
SB- Schoen
WR- WOLITARSKY
RT-
RG- NEUFELD
C- KOLANKOWSKI
LG- DOBSON/ELI
LT- Bryant

DE- Jefferson
DT- LAWSON/THOMAS
DT-
DE-
WLB- Wilson, Cole
MLB- Bighill, GAUTHIER
SAM- KRAMDI
CB- Parker
HB- Holm
S- Alexander, HALLETT
HB- Nichols
CB-

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, we sign Schoen & Brady & we're paupers? Maybe that wasn't the right thing to do. Maybe we should have let one go. They both even signed on the cheap to help the Bombers out. . We should have money & yet we don't. I'm scratching my head about this. 

I mean they obviously don't have money to throw around.  Need to get value out of any signings with the high end guys.  Not going to pay high six figures for average players.

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You create space by releasing some older backup or special teams players. Maybe a couple of older starting veterans. I don't feel that we';ve done enough of that. There has to be some older deadwood we can prune to sign players. Besides, why can't we just go over the cap? Is living within an insanely small salary cap & trying to make it wor really worth it if we start losing games & attendance starts to drop? That'll hurt way more if we are a million dollars or more down in revenue instead of paying the fine up to $100 grand before losing a first round draft pick. So, I feel Walters should just do it. 

I don't think you have high awareness of the roster.

They've lost tons of vets, starters and special teamers.

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

This is the depth chart of guys under contract with significant CFL reps.  Going to be a big transition year.

QB- Collaros, Streveler
RB- OLIVIERA
WR- Lawler
SB-
SB- DEMSKI
SB- Schoen
WR- WOLITARSKY
RT-
RG- NEUFELD
C- KOLANKOWSKI
LG- DOBSON/ELI
LT- Bryant

DE- Jefferson
DT- LAWSON/THOMAS
DT-
DE-
WLB- Wilson, Cole
MLB- Bighill, GAUTHIER
SAM- KRAMDI
CB- Parker
HB- Holm
S- Alexander, HALLETT
HB- Nichols
CB-

I mean they obviously don't have money to throw around.  Need to get value out of any signings with the high end guys.  Not going to pay high six figures for average players.

Defensively, there are holes to fill. We are going to get run on with whom we have now playing the Front 7. 

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don't think you have high awareness of the roster.

They've lost tons of vets, starters and special teamers.

I'm not a salary cap guru. I just put it down to basic math. Subtracting players salaries that are now gone should open some money up. However, Schoen & Brady have cost us around $460,000 next season. We do have Lawler at around $275,000 & Collaros at $500,000 so I guess pickings are slim. Like I said, I'm no salary cap guru, so I'd appreciate not being attacked over this. If I need to have someone explain it, please do.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

But, the team saw all these guys and figured they could replace them for cheaper. It's going to hurt, but, imo, it's worth it for what we kept. 

We need to reload for 2025. 

Collaros and Lawler also big factors. 

Walters buggered the accountant when he signed Lawler when he already had Schoen in house at 1/3 the price.  Years of careful player development walking out the door, starting over from scratch in a few too many positions.  Exciting times await!

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We're not paupers, but the vast majority of our roster spots are filled already. Why should we have a bunch of money left over?

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Walters buggered the accountant when he signed Lawler when he already had Schoen in house at 1/3 the price.  Years of careful player development walking out the door, starting over from scratch in a few too many positions.  Exciting times await!

Next year, it'll be Demski. Lawler & Schoen in free agency... If we can't reload this season then how will we reload next year with those 3 set to be free agents? One year deals (Schoen) just complicate everything. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

The team has lost Olineman every year for several years. This isn't the first time and won't be the last. I have zero concerns about it right now.

Not 0 concerns for me. They've been starting the same tackles for quite a few seasons.  It's been a while since the scouting department has unearthed an OT who became a starter for the Bombers.

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Next year, it'll be Demski. Lawler & Schoen in free agency... If we can't reload this season then how will we reload next year with those 3 set to be free agents? One year deals (Schoen) just complicate everything. 

Demski is signed through 2025.