2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

His pro day was attended by Edmonton Elks’ scout Ric Serritella, the creator of NFL Draft Bible who is based in New Jersey and was recently hired by the team.

Elks gonna get better. 

They’ve got scouts and some talent. Just jones doing jones things holding them back. 
 Basically emptying their ni stock and failing to add any has messed them up as much as any thing. 

Edited by wbbfan

The fact that no CFL team offered more than an 8th for Alfano means they don't think he is worth even a late-round flyer. Edmonton was the only team to put any bid on him. Seems like he's got a wild story and could pay off with a high reward but I doubt he ever plays a meaningful snap in the CFL

13 hours ago, Goalie said:

His pro day was attended by Edmonton Elks’ scout Ric Serritella, the creator of NFL Draft Bible who is based in New Jersey and was recently hired by the team.

Elks gonna get better. 

and rip right past Mace and his "new lool" Riders....which looked the same as they have been

12 hours ago, Goalie said:

I hope when other teams improve. We do also. Being good is fun. Complaining about not winning 4 straight cups is certainly better than that gong show. Hopefully we never come to that. 

quick look over things so far...we will be better at QB2....RB....I believe O-line and D-line (only if we actually roster the new blood in a few spots) and reciever with Lawler here right out of the gate.

If Cole is at SAM and we can roster Moses and Gemmel....I'd say linebacker could have potential to be much better too...we have the pieces to be much improved, younger....hungrier....we just have to pull the trigger on it in a few spots

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

and rip right past Mace and his "new lool" Riders....which looked the same as they have been

quick look over things so far...we will be better at QB2....RB....I believe O-line and D-line (only if we actually roster the new blood in a few spots) and reciever with Lawler here right out of the gate.

If Cole is at SAM and we can roster Moses and Gemmel....I'd say linebacker could have potential to be much better too...we have the pieces to be much improved, younger....hungrier....we just have to pull the trigger on it in a few spots

I am very encouraged by what I have seen from the new recruits at the key positions so far. Don't forget Tre Thomas either, dude was balling the other day.

Just now, GCn20 said:

I am very encouraged by what I have seen from the new recruits at the key positions so far. Don't forget Tre Thomas either, dude was balling the other day.

yeah....firsthalf the game he jumped out to me as well...was he at corner...or HB?....I like his physicality a lot more than MgHee....who didnt impress considering all the yip yap about him in press, and being a hold over....Hopefully it's not a case of before...job by tenure and a few flash plays to keep him on...ala Houston....Best players should play regardless of time spent here.....in my day...thats how it went...and can't count how many teamates I said goodbye to on the fly mid-yr from new blood brought in and they were just flat out better....if you not continually turning over talent and seeking better...as opposed to staying complacent, and standing pat....well you can see what haoppens...History will show you everytime...and our last 2 yrs has showed it, and if not nipped in the bud....

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah....firsthalf the game he jumped out to me as well...was he at corner...or HB?....I like his physicality a lot more than MgHee....who didnt impress considering all the yip yap about him in press, and being a hold over....Hopefully it's not a case of before...job by tenure and a few flash plays to keep him on...ala Houston....Best players should play regardless of time spent here.....in my day...thats how it went...and can't count how many teamates I said goodbye to on the fly mid-yr from new blood brought in and they were just flat out better....if you not continually turning over talent and seeking better...as opposed to staying complacent, and standing pat....well you can see what haoppens...History will show you everytime...and our last 2 yrs has showed it, and if not nipped in the bud....

I'm not as harsh on our success rate the last couple years as you are, winning the West division the past 2 years and being in the Grey Cup is still a pretty darn good accomplishment imo. That's not to suggest it was perfect, it wasn't, but we are still a dominant team in this league. The fact we can split hairs on roster management after winning games just tells me how spoiled we are as a fan base right now. This could be far, far worse and is nowhere near bad.

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I'm not as harsh on our success rate the last couple years as you are, winning the West division the past 2 years and being in the Grey Cup is still a pretty darn good accomplishment imo. That's not to suggest it was perfect, it wasn't, but we are still a dominant team in this league. The fact we can split hairs on roster management after winning games just tells me how spoiled we are as a fan base right now. This could be far, far worse and is nowhere near bad.

I don't ignore our success...don't get me wrong...winning is always nice....fun....but the end goal is a championship...bar none and any season not securing that is failure....and losing some for totally avoidable reasons is not acceptable and accountability needs to be addressed....call me old schoiol but the 90's isn't evennthat old school to be honest.

I do not know one player who has ever been satisfied not winning th championship...nor know any who just "wanted to get to playoffs" hence my criticism and calling things out...just how I wired

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

I don't ignore our success...don't get me wrong...winning is always nice....fun....but the end goal is a championship...bar none and any season not securing that is failure....and losing some for totally avoidable reasons is not acceptable and accountability needs to be addressed....call me old schoiol but the 90's isn't evennthat old school to be honest.

I do not know one player who has ever been satisfied not winning th championship...nor know any who just "wanted to get to playoffs" hence my criticism and calling things out...just how I wired

I have no problem with that at all. I am wired the same way. Winning is the goal. I just think that a natural reaction to losing sometimes is to throw the baby out with the bath water instead of stepping back and seeing how far away from the goal you are. In the Bombers case, I don't believe wholesale change is needed. Some improvement to be sure, but our problems are not of the earth shattering variety. MOS has his quirks, he needs to reel a couple of them in a little, and we will be in great shape from a coaching perspective...hell we are in great shape already.

Edited by GCn20

agree....just sucks because of them...we didnt win 4 in a row....I put part of that blame on the players too as some didnt show up when it counts....but also wonder if some of that was due to not totally preparing them and psyching them up, as we let the room control the room and the staff was too comfortable in the fact that they didnt think they had to go above and beyond to prepare....you always still gotta shake the tree and peel some paint...regardless how vet the squad is...or what the cukture is

2 hours ago, Booch said:

agree....just sucks because of them...we didnt win 4 in a row....I put part of that blame on the players too as some didnt show up when it counts....but also wonder if some of that was due to not totally preparing them and psyching them up, as we let the room control the room and the staff was too comfortable in the fact that they didnt think they had to go above and beyond to prepare....you always still gotta shake the tree and peel some paint...regardless how vet the squad is...or what the cukture is

Might have been a case of underestimating Montreal as well.

2 hours ago, bluedawg said:

Tre Thomas was in as a weakside linebacker, definitely not a cornerback or half

That's what I thought as well. I liked his game there.

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He's a Gapper through and through...

He did not leave the Riders on good terms, that may be at the heart of his indecision.  Jones cut him after Taman previously deferred his salary after coming back from the NFL and taking much less to play in Sask..  Money that was promised but never paid.

20 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

He did not leave the Riders on good terms, that may be at the heart of his indecision.  Jones cut him after Taman previously deferred his salary after coming back from the NFL and taking much less to play in Sask..  Money that was promised but never paid.

And then immediately played the next 3 years with an organization that has been in a class of it's own in regards to the treatment and ongoing support of it's players. Dressler is basically saying these were the years he enjoyed the most in his career, and based on where he came from I believe this is more than lip service. The Riders dissed him, the Bombers embraced him and helped him grow not just as a football player but as a relatively young man transitioning to a new chapter in his life. Dressler wants us all to know he respects the hell out of that. I will take his indecision at face value.

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

And then immediately played the next 3 years with an organization that has been in a class of it's own in regards to the treatment and ongoing support of it's players. Dressler is basically saying these were the years he enjoyed the most in his career, and based on where he came from I believe this is more than lip service. The Riders dissed him, the Bombers embraced him and helped him grow not just as a football player but as a relatively young man transitioning to a new chapter in his life. Dressler wants us all to know he respects the hell out of that. I will take his indecision at face value.

Just now, 17to85 said:

The fact that there's even a debate is a big LOL to that sad sack franchise.

Yea....and it's not really a debate so much as his short time with the Bombers may outweigh a long stint in his peak years with the Riders to Dressler. That says a ton about that organization.

Sounds like Weston didn't exactly like the crap thrown his way, on his departure from saskabush....He was treated with genuine praise and was well liked, when he suited up for us and he has said as much....I know the impression of my career I would like going into the hof and it's not the final one he left behind in Regina

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Sounds like Weston didn't exactly like the crap thrown his way, on his departure from saskabush....He was treated with genuine praise and was well liked, when he suited up for us and he has said as much....I know the impression of my career I would like going into the hof and it's not the final one he left behind in Regina

His wife is from Regina, in the end he may not get to make this decision. 😄