2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I missed that. When was that?

He was charged and convicted of breaking into a woman's home, sitting on the couch next to her while she slept with her 2 year old son, before being chased out by the woman's room mate when she awoke to find him there. God knows what his intentions were. This was while he was a player with the Broncos. 

Edited by GCn20

59 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Nice...minimizing sexual harrassement. You must be a fun guy at the office parties. In what world is hitting on a co-worker to the point of harrassment, then starting rumors about her to her co-workers, then threatening her with harm, acceptable to you? This is not acceptable behavior in any professional setting....EVER.

I'm not minimizing anything, nor did I didn't say it is acceptable to me.

This comment proves what I'm actually saying. You've already decided guilt based on only one side of the story. You assume that anyone who wants to know the other side of the story is a horrible human being who thinks sexual harassment is OK. Par for the course. Have an opinion based on part the information and then attack those who question your opinion. 

55 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

If you do some research, you'll find that, depending on the contract, not renewing can be considered constructive dismissal, which is actionable by the employee.  Without knowing all the terms of this particular contract, it's impossible to say if this is or isn't. Just that it's not that cut and dried.  

Assuming that the contract has an end date that has passed, then the team doesn't have to renew it even if they have renewed it multiple times before. That's one difference between contract workers and employees. 

Lets take Bailey as an example. Multiple contracts. Didn't do anything wrong. Bombers decided not to pick him up this year. No harm. No foul.

8 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

This comment proves what I'm actually saying. You've already decided guilt based on only one side of the story. You assume that anyone who wants to know the other side of the story is a horrible human being who thinks sexual harassment is OK. Par for the course. Have an opinion based on part the information and then attack those who question your opinion. 

Assuming that the contract has an end date that has passed, then the team doesn't have to renew it even if they have renewed it multiple times before. That's one difference between contract workers and employees. 

Lets take Bailey as an example. Multiple contracts. Didn't do anything wrong. Bombers decided not to pick him up this year. No harm. No foul.

I have not decided guilt but if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, This isn't new or out of the ordinary behavior for him. Sorry, but if this was some out of the blue accusation against a guy with no priors I might be more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Sorry,  but this isn't some new concept. Past offences are always used in court to establish a person's past proclivity for committing the offence.

Edited by GCn20

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He was charged with breaking into a woman's home, sitting on the couch next to her while she slept with her 2 year old son, before being chased out by the woman's room mate when she awoke to find him there. God knows what his intentions were. This was while he was a player with the Broncos. 

Didn’t think there was any sexual component to it. He was drunk after a team party and walked into the wrong house. Got beaten up by the husband with a vacuum cleaner hose for sitting on their couch and rambling incoherently. Plead guilty to misdemeanour trespass. But hasn’t been convicted for being a sexual predator, AFAIK. 

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Didn’t think there was any sexual component to it. He was drunk after a team party and walked into the wrong house. Got beaten up by the husband with a vacuum cleaner hose for sitting on their couch and rambling incoherently. Plead guilty to misdemeanour trespass. But hasn’t been convicted for being a sexual predator, AFAIK. 

Splitting hairs. He was also sued for assault that same night against a camera man, and was in an "altercation" with a woman afterwards. He just innocently walked over to the wrong house, went in, got cozy on the couch next to the female resident with no ill intentions. Not buying it. He traumatized this poor woman. He was charged with 1st degree criminal trespass which is a felony offence. This was later plea bargained down to a 2nd degree which made it a misdemeanor but that is likely the function of having an NFL player calibre lawyer.

Edited by GCn20

I mean... I understand the argument for not jumping to conclusions...buuuut also ..this forum will have absolutely zero impact on the actual outcome of the case, so I'll say and judge who tf I want however tf I want lol. 

It's not like the CFL is going to be saying "well lets start this investigation by seeing what the posters on MBB.com are saying!!"

Edited by Bigblue204

8 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I mean... I understand the argument for not jumping to conclusions...buuuut also ..this forum will have absolutely zero impact on the actual outcome of the case, so I'll say and judge who tf I want however tf I want lol. 

It's not like the CFL is going to be saying "well let’s start this investigation by seeing what the posters on MBB.com are saying!!"

They might

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

It didn’t happen.

That's your opinion. Committing a felony trespass, then cozying up next to a sleeping woman and child, then uttering threats at her and her room mate on the way out....yea,,,,that doesn't scream weirdo at all. Ms. South Carolina would probably fill you in on a thing or two about him as well.

Edited by GCn20

10 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

As usual, what I find tremendously useful is how sensitive issues like this latest one with CK really bring out the true colors of people, good, bad and indifferent. 

I am willing to wait for an investigation into the matter on Kelly's guilt/innocence this time but his past behavior is very concerning to me as a CFL fan and I, of course, think it has a large role to play in the veracity with which the CFL should conduct it's investigation. I certainly don't blame anyone for calling out Kelly's behavior, IF TRUE, as he is a repeat offender of acts that are not befitting of a professional CFL player. 

This isn't a new opinion of mine, not jumping on any kind of bandwagon here. I personally feel that the CFL should have never ratified his contract in the first place and have held this opinion before the Argos even signed him. He was initially a guy that I wanted the Bombers to sign a few years ago, then I did some digging on him and wouldn't want him within restraining order distance of my team. My opinion of him will never change, but it is not grounded in these current events. 

I hope these events are not true, and are a fabrication, and Kelly really has gotten his life straightened out. He is a talented football player and our league needs those. I am, and I believe rightfully so, highly skeptical that he is innocent.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Again, it is not that cut and dried, and your comparison to a player contract is just plain silly.  Apples and oranges.  But I'm not going to explain all the nuances of employer/employee law to someone who believes that he knows way more than he clearly does.  

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Nice...minimizing sexual harrassement. You must be a fun guy at the office parties. In what world is hitting on a co-worker to the point of harrassment, then starting rumors about her to her co-workers, then threatening her with harm, acceptable to you? This is not acceptable behavior in any professional setting....EVER.

Do you have something in your past that you want to share?  That's quite the odd stretching of what TBURGESS had said. 

Did you know that some women have made false claims of harassment/abuse/assault.  It is possible.     

In the celebrity world just look at the Amanda Heard /  Johnny Depp fiasco to see an example of a woman with zero reasons to make false claims as she is rich and famous.... yet she did out of hatred.  

5 hours ago, bluto said:

I'm not dismissing it. Really. Just presenting the other side of the coin while  people gather up their torches and pitchforks.

I have no trouble at all believing that a pro athlete hit on a coworker and crossed a boundary. Especially in this day and age where boundaries for that are basically set at zero-tolerance by default (which I have no beef with).

And yeah, we know that he's a loon. But he's now been painted as a sexual harasser in national media. That's a different sort of reputational hit. And if it was because he asked a girl out at work, that's pretty harsh.

No one is saying that we ought to have the hanging before the investigation. There have been provably false accusations but the vast majority who come forward are ordinary people who have been savaged, and if there is one victim, it is almost automatic that there have been others who kept silent. I do not know if the statistics have changed, but some 20 years ago, about 80% of victims never spoke out, allowing the offender to move on to the next target.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I watched matlock in a bar last night, the sound was off but I got the gist of it.

If matlock was her lawyer he’d make Kelly admit he sexually assaulted her. My grandparents loved that show. Ben Matlock only lost 1 case and that one case was cuz he found out the guy he was defending was guilty and made him admit it. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

It's not like the CFL is going to be saying "well lets start this investigation by seeing what the posters on MBB.com are saying!!"

Exactly right, this is the court of public opinion not a court of law. We owe Chad Kelly exactly zero benefit of the doubt if that is how we feel about it. 

33 minutes ago, Tracker said:

No one is saying that we ought to have the hanging before the investigation. There have been provably false accusations but the vast majority who come forward are ordinary people who have been savaged, and if there is one victim, it is almost automatic that there have been others who kept silent. I do not know if the statistics have changed, but some 20 years ago, about 80% of victims never spoke out, allowing the offender to move on to the next target.

"Where there is smoke there is usually fire" has been an expression that has served me well for many years. Is there a small % chance that this woman is mentally unbalanced and looking for attention? Sure. Is that likely? I would say absolutely not. I doubt the amount of instances in a thousand where the accuser has totally fabricated the story is less than a handful. No accuser, short of someone being mentally ill or a professional con woman, goes to this extreme without there being some basis in fact to their story. By all accounts she was a model and competent employee with a sterling track record. 

I get everyone wanting to give the benefit of the doubt, and I want to hear the whole story from both sides too, but you would have to be out to lunch to not think there is a very bad odor to this just based on what we know so far about the story, and the people involved.

I guess at this point it is whether you believe that the ex-employee is of poor moral perpitude and is making false allegations, or Kelly/Murphy are guilty of poor moral judgement and behavior. I know which way I'm leaning and it's based on the past behaviors demonstrated by all 3. I will fully admit that I have bias against Kelly and Murphy for their past actions and that is deeply impacting my take on this. Luckily, I don't have to be non-biased in any way as I am not their judge or jury.

Edited by GCn20