2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

44 minutes ago, Mike said:

I wonder how we’d be reacting to this news if it were about Dalton Schoen 

Given the reaction to the Bombers suspending Lawler when his DUI happened was "good for them for being proactive", I suspect our reaction would be much the same.

34 minutes ago, bluto said:

Like I said, there are a lot of men on the CFL internet right now who have never had a friend or loved one go through an acrimonious divorce, and it shows.

My wife always says I am divorced from reality, does that count?

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No, it is not obvious at all. The amount she is asking for is not worth it at all. This isn't some kind of frivolous attempt to get rich.

In fairness she could be mainly doing this for attention and/or to kill Kelly's reputation.    

48 minutes ago, bluto said:

I'm not dismissing it. Really. Just presenting the other side of the coin while  people gather up their torches and pitchforks.

I have no trouble at all believing that a pro athlete hit on a coworker and crossed a boundary. Especially in this day and age where boundaries for that are basically set at zero-tolerance by default (which I have no beef with).

And yeah, we know that he's a loon. But he's now been painted as a sexual harasser in national media. That's a different sort of reputational hit. And if it was because he asked a girl out at work, that's pretty harsh.

You're basically doing the same thing with your counter arguments.

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

In fairness she could be mainly doing this for attention and/or to kill Kelly's reputation.    

Maybe. Should be a pretty easy investigation then. However, not many professionals burn their bridges in a close knit industry for attention or just to randomly character assassinate someone. Is it possible? Sure it is. The probability of that is very, very low though.

Edited by GCn20

14 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Maybe. Should be a pretty easy investigation then. However, not many professionals burn their bridges in a close knit industry for attention or just to randomly character assassinate someone. Is it possible? Sure it is. The probability of that is very, very low though.

I'd put the % of her being a crazy emotional woman wanting vengeance at quite a low percentage... but their is always a chance.   I've seen enough videos online of crazy girlfriends using their cars to ram into an ex or them going to their work places and going ballistic to never say never.   

People who suggest someone might make an accusation like this just for attention blows my mind. To compare an acrimonious divorce to this, which would be very localized, to making an accusation against a very public figure isn't even like comparing two fruits together.

As soon as this story broke it reminded me of the story that came out a number of years ago locally about a sexual harassment human rights issue

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2014/11/29/taking-a-stand-against-abuse

Look at the abuse this poor woman received as a result of her complaint, and add 10 more years of people being terminally online and instead of a local board game store have it be a MOP QB and what do you think could be going on with her right now.

Cash settlement requested has gone up considerably....Nearly 300,000 grand from the argos is a lot of ducats to fork over...She must believe she has a good case for upping the ante and most likely from a lawyer who hopes to cash in....Nothing proven at all yet but the 'special investigator' hired by the league should be able to ferret things out,,,All in all it's not good publicity for the league no matter how you cut it but when you sign a guy with the baggage Kelly carries, you can expect that something 'might' crop up and it has

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I wonder how we’d be reacting to this news if it were about Dalton Schoen 

For one possible answer, see the general (but not universal)  difference in reaction to Andrew Harris’ failed drug test and the justification that it was a tainted sample/useless old school steroid no one would take/so minimal in reading it was effectively useless and the corresponding response to Leonard’s test refusal (and therefore unknown what if anything he was on) in Saskatchewan and all the PED Leonard comments. 

I think it would be the same reaction if it was one of our own.....just as it is with Kelly....when Lawler had his bone headed lack of judgement nobody here glossed it over...many suggested he be gone...that being dais Management here was very procative...suspended him immediately until they details got more known and digested.

It is also a totally different situation, and just the act of a bodily harm threat alone should have been grounds for some kind of team discipline above and beyond the other stuff....and regardless if it was directed at a male or female

My take ...and from formerly being in a room, and knowing about some of the parties involved in Management. and what unwritten rues exist, this seems to be a legit thing to me...where there is smoke...usually thre is fire...Murphy is a known and confirmed idiot, and I have 100% belief he tried to push this under the carpet, and also likely had some less than professional comments and interaction with this...Kelly....nuff said...basically is Johnny Manziel re-incarnated here and on his last chance with pro ball, and he has done far worse (and proven) in the past...so again...Highly believable and in regards to the trainer...she has zero to gain from this really other than a wrongful dismissal, or the fact the team used this to not re-new her term...there was never an issue with previous renewals until this.... so why know?....add it up....and it looks bad on the Argo's as a whole, and just further confirms what a piece Kelly is

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

For one possible answer, see the general (but not universal)  difference in reaction to Andrew Harris’ failed drug test and the justification that it was a tainted sample/useless old school steroid no one would take/so minimal in reading it was effectively useless and the corresponding response to Leonard’s test refusal (and therefore unknown what if anything he was on) in Saskatchewan and all the PED Leonard comments. 

thing with Harris ped suspension...as someone who knows a lot about that...used and supervised others use...the drug he was supposedly stung with is one in which noway shape or form a football player...especially a skilled position guy would use in season, let alone really off-season....and it's half life would have been out of his system in days....plus...I couldnt even fathom a guess to where you could even procure it now....not sure what is up and happened there...but that one didnt add up

It's not wrongful dismissal. They didn't dismiss her, they simply didn't pick up her next contract.

Corroboration of at least the bus part of the complaint should be easy, but we don't even have that yet, but assuming the story is true, and we only have her side of it, it's workplace harassment & likely uttering threats.

People need to stop throwing around terms like 'Sexual Predator'. It weakens the term so much as to be useless. Asking a girl out, even multiple times, and complaining that she was going out with someone else on a bus doesn't rise to the level of Sexual Predator.  

Everyone jumping on the bandwagon to 'protect' her after only hearing her side of the story is exactly why they went to the media in the first place. Kelly & Murphy have already been convicted in the court of public opinion. The Argos can't attack her or the story without coming off as evil. IMO that's why we won't see anything in the press from there side. 

13 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Not the same comparison at all. Night and day difference in the offence for most people. Harris, whether roiding or not, did not hurt anyone but his own reputation and body if he was guilty. This is violence against women. Like I said, night and day. 

When Harris got caught, I was mostly who cares about it. That's because I personally believe that there is a good % of athletes who are doping and at the end of the day I don't really personally care if they are or not. Violence against women is a much different type of offence.

15 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Harris peed in the cup and got busted and protested his innocence because of whatever reasons... Leonard refused to pee in the cup, claimed innocence anyway and harassed the drug tester on the way out. It's not the same situation IMO.

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

It's not wrongful dismissal. They didn't dismiss her, they simply didn't pick up her next contract.

Corroboration of at least the bus part of the complaint should be easy, but we don't even have that yet, but assuming the story is true, and we only have her side of it, it's workplace harassment & likely uttering threats.

People need to stop throwing around terms like 'Sexual Predator'. It weakens the term so much as to be useless. Asking a girl out, even multiple times, and complaining that she was going out with someone else on a bus doesn't rise to the level of Sexual Predator.  

Everyone jumping on the bandwagon to 'protect' her after only hearing her side of the story is exactly why they went to the media in the first place. Kelly & Murphy have already been convicted in the court of public opinion. The Argos can't attack her or the story without coming off as evil. IMO that's why we won't see anything in the press from there side. 

Nice...minimizing sexual harrassement. You must be a fun guy at the office parties. In what world is hitting on a co-worker to the point of harrassment, then starting rumors about her to her co-workers, then threatening her with harm, acceptable to you? This is not acceptable behavior in any professional setting....EVER.

Edited by GCn20

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If you do some research, you'll find that, depending on the contract, not renewing can be considered constructive dismissal, which is actionable by the employee.  Without knowing all the terms of this particular contract, it's impossible to say if this is or isn't. Just that it's not that cut and dried.  

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

What's the point being made here?

Mostly just that everyone is already proclaiming this guy is guilty because he’s got a reputation and if it were a Bomber, there would be cries of “let the process play out”

I wonder if anyone ever stopped to wonder if the reason this became public is because he has this reputation and the woman knew this would be effective.

Disclaimer: if he’s guilty of the claims, he’s a total piece of crap

I just see the double standard here for what it is and someone’s right to due process shouldn't depend on what team colours they wear 

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Mostly just that everyone is already proclaiming this guy is guilty because he’s got a reputation and if it were a Bomber, there would be cries of “let the process play out”

I wonder if anyone ever stopped to wonder if the reason this became public is because he has this reputation and the woman knew this would be effective.

I just see the double standard here for what it is and someone’s right to due process shouldn't depend on what team colours they wear 

If this **** came out about anyone on the Bombers I know I'd react the same way. 

I don't recall many people protesting Lawler being suspended for his DUI and in fact I think the only thing that saved him in the eyes of most here was his accepting responsibility and trying to make amends. 

I don't understand using the name Dalton Schoen as a comparison ??The guy looks like he's clean as a whistle and certainly doesn't carry a rep like the player he's being compared to....Maybe a general suggestion like, if a 'Bomber player were accused', would have been a better way to go

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

Thank you so much for being the only level headed person here.  What would we do without your insight into how "everyone" acts?

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

Thanks for the response.

I think in this specific case you generalize a bit too much and see it too black and white here imho.

When I read most people's posts, they're providing their opinions (legit or not) on Chad Kelly the person, the football player etc but know (whether they write it out or not) that it needs to go through due process.

I haven't read all the posts on this situation but I haven't read anywhere where someone has suggested no need to investigate he's guilty throw the book at him.

And as for if it was a Bomber, again too general a lot of us (not all) know regardless of color a player wears, you do the crime you do the time.

Edited by HardCoreBlue

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

If this **** came out about anyone on the Bombers I know I'd react the same way. 

I don't recall many people protesting Lawler being suspended for his DUI and in fact I think the only thing that saved him in the eyes of most here was his accepting responsibility and trying to make amends. 

But no one here was saying he should be kicked out of the league permanently either, which is how some have reacted to Kelly’s allegations. And many called it a “mistake”, not a crime, which it was. Or that more than a one game suspension was warranted and were content to have him come back and play while the charges still hung in the air. 

33 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

There's a cause and effect though.  She reports misconduct by star QB.  Contract isn't renewed.  She had been with the team for 6 years, 5 seasons because of 2020 cancellation.

Retaliation is a form of wrongful dismissal and the lead up with the accusation to not renewing the contract will be looked at as such in civil court.

35 minutes ago, Mike said:

"He's got a reputation" is about the nicest way you can sum up Kelly's past transgressions. Here is a reminder of the who exactly Chad Kelly has PROVEN himself to be. It shouldn't be minimized. He has two past serious transgressions against women, one that resulted in criminal charges. You want us all to give him the benefit of the doubt? Why should we? This isn't the same as some guy with a squeaky clean record being accused, there is a crap load of very serious precedents here. Could the allegations be false? Certainly they could, but in the case of Kelly he has set the bar of perception for himself and he needs to wear it. I have no sympathy for the guy whatsoever. Toronto knew full well who he is when they signed him too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM2yuF56dzk 

Edited by GCn20

46 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

People do not need to stop throwing around the term sexual predator, he has been charged and convicted in the past for it. Maybe, it doesn't apply in this case exactly but when you add up his history with the current situation the term is maybe a bit harsh but certainly not by much.