2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

The coach wrote in her lawsuit that she then informed Mujtaba and Argos assistant general manager John Murphy about what had happened.

“Murphy responded by stating that [she] should not have spoken to [Kelly] and that she has now ‘opened a can of worms that didn’t need to be opened,’” the lawsuit says.

Wait, you mean cool guy John Murphy wanted to sweep Kelly's behaviour under the rug? Say it ain't so... what a **** stain

yes, sorry, "alleged" behaviour

Tbh, Kelly does not get the benefit of the doubt. Dude has been in soo much trouble soo often and kicked off soo many teams, I presume things are worse than we are hearing. Screw the Argos too. 

Kelly got into a barfight while in college at Oxford Mississippi in 2014 when he was thrown out by bouncers. He threatened to go to his truck, pick up his AK-47 & "spray this place" which he never did but the threat was still made. He also resisted arrest & injured a cop while in college so this kind of behaviour seems to follow him around.

He also got into a screaming match with some of his coaches during the spring game at Ole Miss  when they decided to punt rather than go for it on 4th & one. The exchange was so bad that he was benched the remainder of the game.

If these charges by this strength & conditioning coach are proven true, I can't see how the Argos can keep him around anymore. And good ol' John Murphy? well, you just can't keep a good man down. If he isn't beating on opposing fans, then he just can't keep from saying stupid things to the woman involved by saying she shouldn't have talked to Kelly & now has opened a "can of worms". . He should be fired (again) if this whole situation is proven true in a court of law. 

What a terrible off season for the Argos. Do you just get the feeling the firing was the work of John Murphy? 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I can't imagine Pinball had even a sniff of this... he'd never stand for it. Everyone else involved? Story checks out, IMO. 

Need to stop apologizing for Pinball. Kelly has always had questionable moral character and John Murphy fought fans. He's pretty Teflon, but some of these issues will eventually stick. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Edited by JCon

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Just saying:

It's messed up how they can name Kelly but not the accuser.

They can but choose not too, probably the classiest thing Bell Media can do. If you really want to know her name, you could look it up I’m sure. 

Please tell me you are not blindly supporting the team based on fanship? Please be on the side of truth and support the victim, not the assholes with a checkered past. 

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

Please be on the side of truth and support the victim, not the assholes with a checkered past. 

Complainants are not entitled to a presumption of truth. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

No it isn’t. Kelly is a creep with a long history of offense. The system is in place to protect victims, not predatory losers. As it should be. 

The system is actually in place to allow for presumption of innocence and places a burden of proof on the accuser. I agree that naming the alleged victim can lead to pre-judgment and shaming, but naming a potential accused does the same thing (as some of the comments here have already demonstrated). 

6 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The system is actually in place to allow for presumption of innocence and places a burden of proof on the accuser. I agree that naming the alleged victim can lead to pre-judgment and shaming, but naming a potential accused does the same thing (as some of the comments here have already demonstrated). 

Reverse onus.

9 hours ago, Jesse said:

I don't think I agree with victim shaming.

Excuse me, serious question: what victim? And who said that they ought to be shamed? This is a wrongful termination suit with a side of a sensationalized accusation to whip the press (and apparently internet forums) into a frenzy before evidence and judgement. And why would the accused be named and subjected to trial by press except for the purpose of shaming them into accepting a settlement (much as was done once before against the Argos)? 

This serves the accuser's legal strategy just fine, as was always the intent.

8 hours ago, GCJenks said:

They can but choose not too, probably the classiest thing Bell Media can do. If you really want to know her name, you could look it up I’m sure. 

Please tell me you are not blindly supporting the team based on fanship? Please be on the side of truth and support the victim, not the assholes with a checkered past. 

Give me a bit of credit for being a decent human please.

And your comment about the side of truth is just so offside here. And support what victim?

8 hours ago, wbbfan said:

No it isn’t. Kelly is a creep with a long history of offense. The system is in place to protect victims, not predatory losers. As it should be. 

And this is why trial by media for a wrongful termination suit is ideal for the accuser.

7 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Yahtzee.

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

Excuse me, serious question: what victim? And who said that they ought to be shamed? This is a wrongful termination suit with a side of a sensationalized accusation to whip the press (and apparently internet forums) into a frenzy before evidence and judgement. And why would the accused be named and subjected to trial by press except for the purpose of shaming them into accepting a settlement (much as was done once before against the Argos)? 

This serves the accuser's legal strategy just fine, as was always the intent.

Give me a bit of credit for being a decent human please.

And your comment about the side of truth is just so offside here. And support what victim?

And this is why trial by media for a wrongful termination suit is ideal for the accuser.

Yahtzee.

When victims are made public, especially when attacking professional athletes, they are shamed, assaulted, vilified. This just happened to the woman who accused Jackson Mahomes of assault. She went through so much abuse that she stopped cooperating with police and the charges were dropped. Naming the accuser does nothing but encourage people to keep their mouths shut and let "boys be boys".

Suggesting anything else is BS, imo. 

7 minutes ago, Jesse said:

When victims are made public, especially when attacking professional athletes, they are shamed, assaulted, vilified. This just happened to the woman who accused Jackson Mahomes of assault. She went through so much abuse that she stopped cooperating with police and the charges were dropped. Naming the accuser does nothing but encourage people to keep their mouths shut and let "boys be boys".

Suggesting anything else is BS, imo. 

What victim though? We have someone who filed a Wrongful Dismissal suit and added a Harassment charge to it.

If there's a claim of actual victimhood, the Toronto Police Services should be notified.

1 minute ago, bluto said:

What victim though? We have someone who filed a Wrongful Dismissal suit and added a Harassment charge to it.

If there's a claim of actual victimhood, the Toronto Police Services should be notified.

Exhibit A) Discrediting the victim.

(this makes it easier to harass them later without guilt)

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Exhibit A) Discrediting the victim.

(this makes it easier to harass them later without guilt)

Interesting take.

Would it be harassing the Accuser if the club has a pile of performance reviews where they were graded as below standard? Had chronic lateness or absences? Had complaints from coworkers and players? If emails, texts and video exist of the Accuser being inappropriate with coworkers?

Nice for the Accuser to have their legal team lob this grenade with no accountability, before the season begins so that the club will need it dealt with quickly. And it doesn't hurt that the club had to cut a hush-hush settlement cheque once before.

30 minutes ago, bluto said:

The victim, is the person who filed the harassment charge....you dolt.

52 minutes ago, bluto said:

Nice for the Accuser to have their legal team lob this grenade with no accountability, before the season begins so that the club will need it dealt with quickly. And it doesn't hurt that the club had to cut a hush-hush settlement cheque once before.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

This is a wrongful termination suit with a side of a sensationalized accusation to whip the press (and apparently internet forums) into a frenzy before evidence and judgement. And why would the accused be named and subjected to trial by press except for the purpose of shaming them into accepting a settlement (much as was done once before against the Argos)? 

Would you have preferred that the accuser not file the lawsuit at all? File it but not name names? Wait until after the upcoming season so as not to harm the Argos? Or that no news organization report on the lawsuit until its outcome is known?

Once a lawsuit is filed, all of its particulars -- including accusations and names -- are in the public domain. It is common practice for suits to be reported on by the media, and invariably the reports say something along the lines of "the allegations have not yet been tested in court" (as this one did) to make clear that their accuracy/veracity has not been established -- they are just allegations at this point. Reporting allegations contained in lawsuits happens all the time. Civil courts operate in the open.

28 minutes ago, pw13 said:

Would you have preferred that the accuser not file the lawsuit at all? File it but not name names? Wait until after the upcoming season so as not to harm the Argos? Or that no news organization report on the lawsuit until its outcome is known?

Once a lawsuit is filed, all of its particulars -- including accusations and names -- are in the public domain. It is common practice for suits to be reported on by the media, and invariably the reports say something along the lines of "the allegations have not yet been tested in court" (as this one did) to make clear that their accuracy/veracity has not been established -- they are just allegations at this point. Reporting allegations contained in lawsuits happens all the time. Civil courts operate in the open.

Since you asked, yeah I think that since this is over $85k FFS, perhaps having a sitdown with the club and holding the big stick of a trial-by-media may have done away with this.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

The victim, is the person who filed the harassment charge....you dolt.

They are an Accuser. Learn the difference. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

She's a victim but other than being a creep the person who looks like the real ******* in thr situation is Murphy based on the accusations.  Lady goes to the boss about an uncomfortable situation  and gets blamed for it and fired.

She should sit down with them. Really her fault for being assaulted, saying something, and getting fired. 

Am I doing this right, Argo fans? 

****ing trash. 

12 hours ago, bluto said:

Just saying:

It's messed up how they can name Kelly but not the accuser.

Considering the internet has several public articles about Toronto hiring the first woman assistant strength coach for the team,  it was only a 2 second google search to find the answer. 

content_dana_beattie.jpeg

After seeing the pictures of her I would more then likely wager that a narcissist like Chad Kelly would hit on a very beautiful young lady.

I do agree @bluto  that innocent until proven guilty and that she could just be trying to play victim and screw the company and him out of money.  But if I were a betting man ,  I'd feel way more comfortable putting money on this being the truth.  

23 minutes ago, bluto said:

Since you asked, yeah I think that since this is over $85k FFS, perhaps having a sitdown with the club and holding the big stick of a trial-by-media may have done away with this.

Well, this seemingly happened and they were told not to open that can of worms.

If the the lawsuit has been filed, they already tried to handle it quietly and the club refused.