2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

44 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Not sure how it helps the Corny 100k situation but MBT I think has won more than he's lost. He's kooky but that 93.0 qb rating isn't. EDM can't just keep losing, MBT should help. Ford makes a great insurance policy and change of pace, and Corny... maybe he gives good hugs or something

The Elks can always rid themselves of Cornelius's contract by trading him, I don't know if that means the club that acquires him gets stuck with the guaranteed money, or if they can renegotiate it away.  It has to be pretty evident from both sides he didn't earn his keep.

The ol ghosts from CFL turfs are beckoning MBT to return for a 'get real' conversation....With all of his oddities , he remains a credible qb. ...Don't know what the Elks are paying Ford, but MBT won't come cheap...Jonesie...being Jonesie is spinning the wheel once again....I would guess that's one less landing spot for Dru

18 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Ford isn't a lock to return. Maybe he's already made it clear that he won't be? It's not like he got a ringing endorsement from his HC.

Ford is under contract through the 2024 season and Jones did declare him the starter heading into camp but in the same breath said "things can change" (not that what Jones says publicly is worth all that much)

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

oh boy........

Can't understand why the RB's are not looking at MBT as a quick and easy replacement for their Masoli woes, take salary from one, give to the other.  They could end up with a solid QB room with Crum and Adams behind MBT.

Edited by Fatty Liver

I mean they got a pretty good look at Ford.

He has no hope to pass the ball vs anyone who just spies him and plays zone.

QB's who can't pass make you a non-playoff team.  Yeah it's fun to watch him scramble around like a chicken with his head cut off 5 or 6 times a game.

Really the only thing Edmonton fans should be grumpy about is taking themselves out of the Dru Brown sweepstakes for MBT.

Sucks for us looks like Calgary will get him.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

QB's who can't pass make you a non-playoff team.  Yeah it's fun to watch him scramble around like a chicken with his head cut off 5 or 6 times a game.

Really the only thing Edmonton fans should be grumpy about is taking themselves out of the Dru Brown sweepstakes for MBT.

I think he’d be effective as qb3. Short yardage guy, a package for him to run, maybe teach him to hold for kicks, back up punt/kick, maybe even throw him out on some teams. 
 But to do that you’ve got to have qb1/2 sorted. 
 At this point I’d get rid of old heavy balls if I was them. He’s pretty much the same limited use player. They have two qb3s and no 1/2. 

10 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Calgary won't get Brown. Dickenson is all in on Maier. There's ansol;utely no talk or rumours of changing qbs in Calgary. 

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Calgary won't get Brown. Dickenson is all in on Maier. There's ansol;utely no talk or rumours of changing qbs in Calgary. 

Very narrow window at the qb spot in this league...Brown better do some serious soul searching before he commits anywhere else.....I don't see a big payday for him anywhere right now....so what's wrong with him staying here and wait for his chance as Zack's career runs down....I know age becomes a factor ....Dru ain't that old and Collaros isn't getting any younger

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Another season as bad as last and Huff will fix his gaze on Dickenson as a problem to be resolved, so Davie-boy can't afford to hitch his wagon solely to an inefficient Maier.  With their background of effective QB development I think Calgary would be an excellent landing spot for Brown.  If they gave Maier a haircut and could accommodate them both for $600k, they could create a solid 1A-1B combo.

My theory for how QB carousel shakes out: Dru Brown signs in Ottawa for a 1-year at 250-300K and has a camp competition with Dustin Crum for the QB1 spot. Edmonton signs McBeth and they cut Taylor Cornelius even though he has 100K+ guaranteed — McBeth ultimately beats out Tre Ford for QB1 and he requests a trade but Jones won't trade him. Hamilton brings back BLM and also signs Masoli on the cheap and flip-flops those two back and forth for the year. Calgary signs Dane Evans to backup/push Maier. Winnipeg picks up Cornelius off the scrap heap as a short yardage QB/backup to Collaros.

55 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

My theory for how QB carousel shakes out: Dru Brown signs in Ottawa for a 1-year at 250-300K and has a camp competition with Dustin Crum for the QB1 spot. Edmonton signs McBeth and they cut Taylor Cornelius even though he has 100K+ guaranteed — McBeth ultimately beats out Tre Ford for QB1 and he requests a trade but Jones won't trade him. Hamilton brings back BLM and also signs Masoli on the cheap and flip-flops those two back and forth for the year. Calgary signs Dane Evans to backup/push Maier. Winnipeg picks up Cornelius off the scrap heap as a short yardage QB/backup to Collaros.

Some of this makes sense. But Masoli is done. Blew his Achilles well after the season started. Won't be ready until at least july and that's best case scenario. I fully expect a retirement announcement from him by September. 

40 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Hmmmmm is this actually true or was it just the bo Levi Mitchell showed up? Arbuckle fizzled, maier was lackluster.... before that it was the likes of tate and Glenn and Burris....

Burris did win a cup. I'd argue they've been the best qb developers/finders since the 90s easily. 

17 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Some of this makes sense. But Masoli is done. Blew his Achilles well after the season started. Won't be ready until at least july and that's best case scenario. I fully expect a retirement announcement from him by September. 

Burris did win a cup. I'd argue they've been the best qb developers/finders since the 90s easily. 

They found BLM... Who else did they find, and who did they develop....? 

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Another season as bad as last and Huff will fix his gaze on Dickenson as a problem to be resolved, so Davie-boy can't afford to hitch his wagon solely to an inefficient Maier.  With their background of effective QB development I think Calgary would be an excellent landing spot for Brown.  If they gave Maier a haircut and could accommodate them both for $600k, they could create a solid 1A-1B combo.

Well, sounds great in theory but in reality it ain't happening. They're not goin g to give up on Maier after just one season. They'll fire assistant coaches before they do that. 

And the problem is, coaching. The Stamps can't develop qbs anymore because they don't have the expertise to do it. There are no young John Hufnagels or Dave  Dickensons waiting in the wings. Canadian teams are cheaping out by hiring more & more Canadian coaches who just don't have the knowledge to develop young qbs, Does anyone really think Mark Mueller can do it with the Riders? 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, sounds great in theory but in reality it ain't happening. They're not goin g to give up on Maier after just one season. They'll fire assistant coaches before they do that. 

AND I doubt Brown will sign anywhere for 1 yr. ...He'll be looking for something a little more stable ...  Why would he leave here for almost the same situation but minus playoff money AND a chance at another Cup....No one is backing the truck up for an unproven qb. .....BUT there might be someone out there willing to throw the dice....We'll see in Feb.