2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

On 12/24/2023 at 6:28 PM, bluedawg said:

Saving 20-25K here and there from a few players not being brought back is not going to make up for Schoen and/or Olivera getting an extra 150K next season... I would like everyone back too including Dru but let's be realistic here

They aren’t getting an extra 150k, and it’s not 20-25k, I’ve pointed out multiple positions we can save north of 50k at. 

On 12/24/2023 at 11:00 PM, GCn20 said:

100k salary lost is a 28k savings if we dress a rookie. We would need to cut most of our vets to get both Schoen and Brown.

Yea..it's not happening without 3-4 of our highest paid players getting replaced by rookies or 6-8 of our mid tier vets. That's just the math unless we had 150-200k cap room saved from this year going against next year's cap.

If we dress a rookie imp signed this year. Not if it’s a rookie imp under existing min contract or Canadian or global. So no it doesn’t. 
It isn’t all those vets. It’s really not that complex. 

On 12/26/2023 at 6:44 AM, bluedawg said:

People in this thread seem to think Canadian rookies and Globals make less than American rookies? The league minimum across every player is 70k. In the event that Damian Jackson was replaced by a rookie Canadian fullback, there would likely be no money saved for example.

Obviously recent signings like Deatrick Nichols, Cam Lawson and Redha received big pay raises. Lawson and Redha especially coming off rookie deals and I bet Nichols is one of league's highest paid DBs now. And guys like Lawler and Demski are going to getting more money after taking less last year to make the cap work.

I think as fans we've got to temper expectations about how many guys can be brought back. The cap is not fluid it is very real and it is going to force the team to make some very tough decisions this offseason. I'm excited to see what direction we go in, who gets brought back, and which new young guys step up!

They do. That’s why lol

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

The players signed pre-January 1 likely had big portions of their salaries paid from this year's SMS.

Very probable. 

On 2023-12-25 at 6:06 AM, Booch said:

Yeah...it does all add up....and if BO wants 150k more which is ridiculous and puts him over 250k which will never ever happen...anywhere u walk away and run with a first yr import for dirt cheap and his and JA' s salaries alone go a looong way to resigning who we feel is vital

Where would you suggest they start these rookies?  The Bombers have largely avoided the scenario of starting rookies the past 4 seasons and have benefitted from that ability.  Other than exceptional circumstances like Schoen and Jackson, rookies usually start their careers as backups and work their way onto the roster gradually.  Starting numerous rookies in critical positions is trial by fire, and should be avoided whenever possible.  

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

They do. That’s why 

It's a fairly recent change, when the newest CBA bumped the minimum to 70k they made the minimum apply to all players regardless of Nationality

"The CFL minimum salary will increase to $70,000 in 2023 and $75,000 in 2027. That minimum will apply to players regardless of roster designation — National, American and Global. Global players were previously limited to contracts of $54,000, lower than the league minimum."

3 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It's a fairly recent change, when the newest CBA bumped the minimum to 70k they made the minimum apply to all players regardless of Nationality

"The CFL minimum salary will increase to $70,000 in 2023 and $75,000 in 2027. That minimum will apply to players regardless of roster designation — National, American and Global. Global players were previously limited to contracts of $54,000, lower than the league minimum."

Man, if Hansen was only making 54k talk about bang for your buck (or Euro)

A lower salary ceiling on global players seems pretty discriminatory, surprised CFL lawyers would allow that to proceed.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Where would you suggest they start these rookies?  The Bombers have largely avoided the scenario of starting rookies the past 4 seasons and have benefitted from that ability.  Other than exceptional circumstances like Schoen and Jackson, rookies usually start their careers as backups and work their way onto the roster gradually.  Starting numerous rookies in critical positions is trial by fire, and should be avoided whenever possible.  

You should be able to start a rookie RB easily....especially one who was a starter in college and has already bounced around NFL camps...Running back in the CL is the position that translates seamlessly in CFL... I wouldnt call Jackson an exceptional circumstance either...that stupidity hand cuffed us big time

We dont need to start multiple rookies....If BO decides he wants the moon...and paying him right screws our SM than a rookie RB will serve us very well, and if the scouts do their job can find a guy to give exactly what BO gave us, if not more with an explosive back...trust me there are tons out there.

I have never liked tying the ratio to a Canadian back to be honest....it requires too much else to make it work...well work seamlessly and it kind of rapes your roster elsewhere...Losing BO is least of my off-season concerns

19 minutes ago, Booch said:

I have never liked tying the ratio to a Canadian back to be honest....it requires too much else to make it work...well work seamlessly and it kind of rapes your roster elsewhere...Losing BO is least of my off-season concerns

Well, I like that fact that Canadian RBs have allowed the Bombers to start Americans at Offensive Tackle and even at Guard - that has been a real strength of the team.

16 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Well, I like that fact that Canadian RBs have allowed the Bombers to start Americans at Offensive Tackle and even at Guard - that has been a real strength of the team.

Other teams start American tackles with import backs...I dont recall a full-time starting guard being import with Harris and Bo tho

We don't even need a Canadian back to meet ratio as it is either...we just have chosen to fill that spot with a canadian

45 minutes ago, Booch said:

Other teams start American tackles with import backs...I dont recall a full-time starting guard being import with Harris and Bo tho

We don't even need a Canadian back to meet ratio as it is either...we just have chosen to fill that spot with a canadian

Travis Bond - we had 3 Americans on OL when he was starting. IIRC, it was for 1.5 - 2 seasons.

Of course don't 'need' a Canadian back, but it has served us rather well.

29 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Travis Bond - we had 3 Americans on OL when he was starting. IIRC, it was for 1.5 - 2 seasons.

Of course don't 'need' a Canadian back, but it has served us rather well.

IIRC, Bond was only starting because Neufeld couldn't stay healthy.  We already had Couture at center and Chungh at the other guard position (we had also signed Jeff Keeping as a FA but he missed the whole season). 

Bond did play at a high level for us those 2 seasons but if not for injuries, would he have even seen the field?   

2 hours ago, Booch said:

You should be able to start a rookie RB easily....especially one who was a starter in college and has already bounced around NFL camps...Running back in the CL is the position that translates seamlessly in CFL... I wouldnt call Jackson an exceptional circumstance either...that stupidity hand cuffed us big time

We dont need to start multiple rookies....If BO decides he wants the moon...and paying him right screws our SM than a rookie RB will serve us very well, and if the scouts do their job can find a guy to give exactly what BO gave us, if not more with an explosive back...trust me there are tons out there.

If it comes down to choosing between Brady and Schoen, I think management chooses Brady because he's going to cost less cap, provides them a ratio option, and has the hometown connection, which sells merchandise and tickets.

9 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

If it comes down to choosing between Brady and Schoen, I think management chooses Brady because he's going to cost less cap, provides them a ratio option, and has the hometown connection, which sells merchandise and tickets.

I don't agree. Schoen is the priority to me as we pass so much. We can allow Brady to go elsewhere, flip the RB position to an American along with a backup for cheaper than what we're paying Brady now. That allows us more flexibility re: the salary cap. 

39 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

IIRC, Bond was only starting because Neufeld couldn't stay healthy.  We already had Couture at center and Chungh at the other guard position (we had also signed Jeff Keeping as a FA but he missed the whole season). 

Bond did play at a high level for us those 2 seasons but if not for injuries, would he have even seen the field?   

My point is, they had the option. I doubt they could have done it without Harris at tailback.  Bond was real brawler in there.

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

yup...Bond was in cause we had absolutely nobody...nobody in the system...and poor depth....that wasn't intended

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't agree. Schoen is the priority to me as we pass so much. We can allow Brady to go elsewhere, flip the RB position to an American along with a backup for cheaper than what we're paying Brady now. That allows us more flexibility re: the salary cap. 

i agree

4 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Lots of places to make that ratio work, few teams start ni tackles and we haven’t gone imp at guard in ages. 
 Base salary has gone up, though not retroactively. Also, the salary cap is going up 160k this off season. 
 rb, ni or other wise is 100x more expendable than wr. Is what it is. You keep schoen and lawler flat out. 

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Lots of places to make that ratio work, few teams start ni tackles and we haven’t gone imp at guard in ages. 
 Base salary has gone up, though not retroactively. Also, the salary cap is going up 160k this off season. 
 rb, ni or other wise is 100x more expendable than wr. Is what it is. You keep schoen and lawler flat out. 

Yup...Lawler is already in the fold...but u make Schoen priority #1 on offence...if other pieces fit fine...but if 1 has to be expendable..so be it and like mentioned earlier import RB is the easiest and most seamless position on CFL to fill..and entry level American and one as his backup is way less than what u will have to pony up for BO and way less than BO and a capable backup like JA behind him...fiscally it makes huge sense.

A guy like Carey...Brown in Edm...even Mills or Logan in CGy would have excelled here last yr with the same usage...could possibly eclipsed what BO did..nothing against BO but he is replaceable for way less..and at times we stated 8..9 Canadians so obviously wasn't vital to maintain a ratio

14 hours ago, Mark H. said:

My point is, they had the option. I doubt they could have done it without Harris at tailback.  Bond was real brawler in there.

Very different team at the time. We have 8+ Canadians starting at times when you don't even really need 7 anymore. It's like 6+1, though it could probably be abused further. 

I agree with who ever said the team probably prioritizes Brady. There's probably over 100k difference in their FA value. Though Schoen strikes me as a guy who will take a more team friendly deal to stay, whereas Brady has publicly said that's not an option. 

From a pure team-building perspective, it frees up a lot of cap space to go import at RB. We know this franchise doesn't operate like these guys are names on a spreadsheet, however. 

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Very different team at the time. We have 8+ Canadians starting at times when you don't even really need 7 anymore. It's like 6+1, though it could probably be abused further. 

I agree with who ever said the team probably prioritizes Brady. There's probably over 100k difference in their FA value. Though Schoen strikes me as a guy who will take a more team friendly deal to stay, whereas Brady has publicly said that's not an option. 

From a pure team-building perspective, it frees up a lot of cap space to go import at RB. We know this franchise doesn't operate like these guys are names on a spreadsheet, however. 

I think in the end we say goodbye to a few vets, get discounts from Schoen and Brady to stay and go to our 5th cup in a row.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Brady ain’t getting 200k from anyone. I doubt he gets a 180k even. 
reality is running backs just don’t get paid. easiest position to replace also 

The upside/downside of the Brady scenario is that I bet we value him more than any other team. I think a likely scenario is he signs here for higher than he would get on the open market.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

The upside/downside of the Brady scenario is that I bet we value him more than any other team. I think a likely scenario is he signs here for higher than he would get on the open market.

I highly, very highly, doubt that. We love Brady but business is business and we are SMS restrained. We will offer him 15-20k below his best offer (if that offer makes a lick of sense) and get him. He wants us more than we want him.

He is a Winnipeg NAT but we will not blow up the SMS or lose Schoen to keep him. He, at the end of the day, is easy to replace.

Edited by GCn20

On 2023-12-27 at 8:14 AM, bigg jay said:

Not necessarily. 

Last year we re-signed Willie at the end of November but we ended up going over the cap so they either paid the fine to have more room in 2023 or his salary did not count against the 2022 cap.

3DN reported it was the club's option whether or not they wanted his 100k signing bonus to count against last year's cap or not.

Pretty sure his signing bonus is what put us over.