2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

Just now, Colin Unger said:

He's very replaceable with guys like Tui and Dobsen ready at any moment. There's a reason he's currently unsigned and not mentioned as first priority when they talk about guys like Brady and Schoen.  I don't think that Gray grades out that well in pass protection. He seems to get tricked on what his assignment is too often.

Gray's not replaceable. Name me another player who can play Center, Guard or Tackle? As someone said, Gray hasn't reached his peak yet as a player. Thinking draft picks can replace veterans & we keep rolling along is a fallacy.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If we let O'Leary-Orange go, if we let Woli go, if we let Gray go, if we let Schoen & Oliveira go then Colin seems to think we can replace them thru the draft no problem. . If they all go to free agency then we'll be lucky to be a playoff team. And we'll all be wondering what the hell is going on with the salary cap on this team that we can't sign our free agents.

I never said that. Do you think twisting what I said for your purposes makes you a strong man? The replacements are the guys we already have on the roster. Like Tui, Dobsen, and Jeremy Murphy. The draft picks are to rebuild the depth after elevating some younger players. That was made clear in my original post. Looking at the roster now what's the drop off from Gray to Tui vs the drop off from Schoen to Ontaria Wilson?  The drop off to Tui is nothing. He's probably better than Gray. 

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I never said that. Do you think twisting what I said for your purposes makes you a strong man? The replacements are the guys we already have on the roster. Like Tui, Dobsen, and Jeremy Murphy. The draft picks are to rebuild the depth after elevating some younger players. That was made clear in my original post. Looking at the roster now what's the drop off from Gray to Tui vs the drop off from Schoen to Ontaria Wilson?  The drop off to Tui is nothing. He's probably better than Gray. 

Who is Ontaria Wilson?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

He's never been any sort of dominant force that we love to see but he is deceptively strong and verifiably athletic, he plays all across the line, that's not something you discard lightly... size can't be taught... still plenty of time to peak, he's only 29

Im not taking any of this lightly. But im also looking at two elite players who played for scratch last year and need to get paid. I wouldn't let an elite player go just to keep our 5th best offensive lineman when we have Dobsen, Tui and 3 high draft picks. If we have to make some significant salary cuts this might very well be a good way to go about doing it.

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Who is Ontaria Wilson?

Exactly!

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I don't wanna lose Gray (he's the Manitoban that nobody talks about) but IMO, he's the 6th man right now. I'd start Dobson over him at G, and obviously Eli at C and let Koala go anywhere else. But Gray's versatility is still useful. 

I don't want to lose anyone either. I want to keep him but i think he's probably going to make a heck of a lot more than the 9th pick in the draft this year and that could be a way to Brady or Scheon. My preference is for Kyle to work magic again and keep everyone we had last year. I just don't know if thats going to be possible. 

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I don't wanna lose Gray (he's the Manitoban that nobody talks about) but IMO, he's the 6th man right now. I'd start Dobson over him at G, and obviously Eli at C and let Koala go anywhere else. But Gray's versatility is still useful. 

That's exactly my point. He can start but is useful if injuries overtake our OL. I don't want to lose him either.

Any player who's a pen

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's exactly my point. He can start but is useful if injuries overtake our OL. I don't want to lose him either.

Right but you have to ask yourself why some of these guys haven't re-signed yet? The strategy clearly seems to be to get the top players to commit first and then with what money is left you try and sign the players of lower value. If Gray was untouchable he'd be signed already.

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Any player who's a pen

Right but you have to ask yourself why some of these guys haven't re-signed yet? The strategy clearly seems to be to get the top players to commit first and then with what money is left you try and sign the players of lower value. If Gray was untouchable he'd be signed already.

Colin, I have no idea what your point is. Of course, the Bombers want to sign Schoen & Oliveira. They also want to sign others. We have no idea what the priority for player signings are.

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Colin, I have no idea what your point is. Of course, the Bombers want to sign Schoen & Oliveira. They also want to sign others. We have no idea what the priority for player signings are.

Basing it a lot of an article on CFL.ca.  https://www.cfl.ca/2024/01/16/landry-bombers-ready-to-navigate-free-agency/

Running back Brady Oliveira, the CFL’s Most Outstanding Canadian in 2023, tops that list but he is by no means alone in the category of key veteran players whose decisions set the tumblers on everything else clicking.

Receiver Dalton Schoen’s contract is about to expire. So are the contracts of offensive line stalwarts Jermarcus Hardrick and Stanley Bryant. And defensive lineman Jackson Jeffcoat. To name a few. The Bombers have a big list of primetime players on the potential free agents list.

“There is a delay while we sift through all of that,” explained Walters.

“But once one or two, three of those guys get locked in and we have a ‘here’s the direction we’re going,’ then I think the rest of things will move fairly quickly.”

“Once your highest price point guys get slotted in, or you realize you can’t get them, then the ball can get moving on everything else.”

4 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Basing it a lot of an article on CFL.ca.  https://www.cfl.ca/2024/01/16/landry-bombers-ready-to-navigate-free-agency/

Running back Brady Oliveira, the CFL’s Most Outstanding Canadian in 2023, tops that list but he is by no means alone in the category of key veteran players whose decisions set the tumblers on everything else clicking.

Receiver Dalton Schoen’s contract is about to expire. So are the contracts of offensive line stalwarts Jermarcus Hardrick and Stanley Bryant. And defensive lineman Jackson Jeffcoat. To name a few. The Bombers have a big list of primetime players on the potential free agents list.

“There is a delay while we sift through all of that,” explained Walters.

“But once one or two, three of those guys get locked in and we have a ‘here’s the direction we’re going,’ then I think the rest of things will move fairly quickly.”

“Once your highest price point guys get slotted in, or you realize you can’t get them, then the ball can get moving on everything else.”

This was already discussed here over a week ago.

Gray is the swing guy we need....plays all spots well ..not spectacular but he's still young in regards to oline

I'd like to see Dobson overtake him and he be our sixth...but also be the guy to come in for what Jackson been doing...he did do it some games already...he's athletic enough and that's all he knows....moving bodies and he always one of first lineman down field blocking....frees up the DA spot and allows an actual impact player on the field as well

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Gray is the swing guy we need....plays all spots well ..not spectacular but he's still young in regards to oline

I'd like to see Dobson overtake him and he be our sixth...but also be the guy to come in for what Jackson been doing...he did do it some games already...he's athletic enough and that's all he knows....moving bodies and he always one of first lineman down field blocking....frees up the DA spot and allows an actual impact player on the field as well

Id like that too but how do we actually pull that if considering there's likely other teams out there willing to offer him a starting job and a pay rise?

37 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Id like that too but how do we actually pull that if considering there's likely other teams out there willing to offer him a starting job and a pay rise?

Exactly. There's no situation where Gray is our 6th guy. 

He was our starter last season over Dobson. Either he is back in that role or we let him walk and Dobson takes over. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

This was already discussed here over a week ago.

So im not sure why you're acting like the bombers are so hidden on their offseason strategy. Basically they big-ticket elite guys like Brady, Schoen, Jefferson, Bryant ect..  These guys are top priority and they aren't going to hand out a bunch of raises to mid-level guys like Gray before they have some clarity on the big-ticket players. 

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

So im not sure why you're acting like the bombers are so hidden on their offseason strategy. Basically they big-ticket elite guys like Brady, Schoen, Jefferson, Bryant ect..  These guys are top priority and they aren't going to hand out a bunch of raises to mid-level guys like Gray before they have some clarity on the big-ticket players. 

Although they're starting to, so the clock is ticking.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Although they're starting to, so the clock is ticking.

Chances are by now they have a pretty good idea of where things are going with Schoen and Brady.  We are so close now that is hard to imagine these players not seeing whats out there in the tampering window before decided whether or not to come back.  

Dom Wooganowski.... was never going to play anywhere else. I know that it can sound like bullshit, but the last time he signed he said that he's not going to play anywhere else in the CFL. That he'd retire if the Bombers didn't want him anymore. He just wants to live in MB, play music, and a bit of football on the side. Glad he's going to (likely) finish things up with the '25 GC...

18 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Dom Wooganowski.... was never going to play anywhere else. I know that it can sound like bullshit, but the last time he signed he said that he's not going to play anywhere else in the CFL. That he'd retire if the Bombers didn't want him anymore. He just wants to live in MB, play music, and a bit of football on the side. Glad he's going to (likely) finish things up with the '25 GC...

They’re love blisters!