2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

39 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Because general consensus is Eli is ready to assume the Centre position and offers more upside.  Are you suggesting Kola displaces someone else along the line or would be happy becoming the 6th man?  He may not start on most teams but he could probably find 2 or 3 that would be happy to have him.

No, he could become a backup. What's wrong with that? We need depth. Kolo played alright for us last year. He's not an All Star but the guy can play. If Eli replaces him, fine. 

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Maybe, but at the same time I don't like dealing NAT OL. That's how you become the Riders. I'd much rather stockpile them and bring the NAT DE you are thinking of home in FA, which is probably a pretty sure bet if we want him.

Yep, agree. Getting rid of Kolo would be a mistake. 

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Some people here put too much weight into age on olineman...as long as they aren't just fat turds with zero mobility (Dan Clarks) then mid 30's isn't an issue unless they constantly in the tub.

Eli wasn't signed for 3 yrs to be a back-up...The gig is his next yr and likely we dont bring Kolo back. Gray is the perfect 6th lineman as he can play all the spots, so I can see Dobson getting the legit opportunity to un-seat him.

And a guy signed now doesn't guarantee a spot come June either...well shouldn't and hiopefully Oshea has learned that lesson...Maybe Neuf becomes the extra guy as he is versatile as well...I just hope this spring there is legit competition in camp and no gifts and loyalty plays this yr

Some guys will have to go thru attrition in order to keep Schoen & other key free agents. 

12 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Atleast we know Brady is in town and isnt away doing an NFL work out today:

I think work outs for him will come after the nfl season. He just played 18 regular season games, 2 play off and 2 pre season games. 308 offensive touches in all those games. Dude needs recovery time. It’d be bad business for him and any nfl team to do a work out now. 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Some guys will have to go thru attrition in order to keep Schoen & other key free agents. 

I think the guys on that verge will be Augustine, Bailey, vet dbs, Thomas, and sadly woli. He just had a career year and is coming into his prime, but I don’t think woli plays till he’s old by wr standards. 6 seasons for him already, prett my crazy. 
 Food for thought, I demskis 5th season of regular play he had 654 yards and 4 tds. Woli had 668 and 6tds. Demskis two best seasons in his first 6 are very comparable to wolis too. 654/772 with 10/6 vs 650/668 5/6. 
 If woli doesn’t retire, over the next two years we likely have the best 1 2 punch of ni WRs in the league. Who also happen to be very versatile and blocking machines. 

but on topic, if we move on from Augustine for a rookie ni or imp, plus move on from 1 vet db or Bailey we easily keep Brady lawler and schoen. 
 As much as I love Bailey, the majority of his touches going to woli, Demski, lawler, schoen, and Brady doesn’t make us any worse it probably makes us a little better. His blocking and leadership would suck to lose. But it’s hard to pay the 6th offensive option 100k and give em enough touches to be content. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I think the guys on that verge will be Augustine, Bailey, vet dbs, Thomas, and sadly woli. He just had a career year and is coming into his prime, but I don’t think woli plays till he’s old by wr standards. 6 seasons for him already, prett my crazy. 
 Food for thought, I demskis 5th season of regular play he had 654 yards and 4 tds. Woli had 668 and 6tds. Demskis two best seasons in his first 6 are very comparable to wolis too. 654/772 with 10/6 vs 650/668 5/6. 
 If woli doesn’t retire, over the next two years we likely have the best 1 2 punch of ni WRs in the league. Who also happen to be very versatile and blocking machines. 

but on topic, if we move on from Augustine for a rookie ni or imp, plus move on from 1 vet db or Bailey we easily keep Brady lawler and schoen. 
 As much as I love Bailey, the majority of his touches going to woli, Demski, lawler, schoen, and Brady doesn’t make us any worse it probably makes us a little better. His blocking and leadership would suck to lose. But it’s hard to pay the 6th offensive option 100k and give em enough touches to be content. 

removing Thomas...Briggs...Benson....Darby...Kolo....more than covers any bumps...especially with 6 game money being diverted to 2023 bonus for 2024

I could see Brown re-upping for one yr...with a pile being given this yr, and his base next not being that cumbersome, and having a per start or performance clause included

1 hour ago, Booch said:

removing Thomas...Briggs...Benson....Darby...Kolo....more than covers any bumps...especially with 6 game money being diverted to 2023 bonus for 2024

I could see Brown re-upping for one yr...with a pile being given this yr, and his base next not being that cumbersome, and having a per start or performance clause included

Only a couple of business days left in the year and they've only announced the resigning of 2 players, not a lot of time left to spend leftover 23 cap money. 

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I think work outs for him will come after the nfl season. He just played 18 regular season games, 2 play off and 2 pre season games. 308 offensive touches in all those games. Dude needs recovery time. It’d be bad business for him and any nfl team to do a work out now. 

NFL workouts are almost always done during the option year window available to all CFL players. NFL teams will do the option year and CFL FAs at the same time. That window is open now. I believe around December 8th. - mid-February. Could BO wait? Sure he could. Does it benefit him to do so? No. Does it benefit any NFL team to wait? No. Every NFL team is combing for talent at the very first opportunity they get. If an NFL team waits they may lose out. If a player waits an NFL team might sign someone else at his position. I guarantee as soon as that December date hit that BO and his agent were busy trying to get workouts, and any NFL teams willing to look at him would want to do it ASAP.

Last year, for instance, Rourke had 3 NFL workouts in the first week of the window while he was still injured. Had he waited, the NFL may have passed him over.

Edited by GCn20

12 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Yeah, #66 is not as shutdown as he used to be, but they certainly won't find anyone better to replace him

If he wants to put his body through another season, it's a win win for the team

and last year was the first time we've really questioned him, so it's possible that he was playing through an injury or something and last year was just an aberration... it's at least POSSIBLE that next year he's back to being absolutely dominant again. 

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

NFL workouts are almost always done during the option year window available to all CFL players. NFL teams will do the option year and CFL FAs at the same time. That window is open now. I believe around December 8th. - mid-February. Could BO wait? Sure he could. Does it benefit him to do so? No. Does it benefit any NFL team to wait? No. Every NFL team is combing for talent at the very first opportunity they get. If an NFL team waits they may lose out. If a player waits an NFL team might sign someone else at his position. I guarantee as soon as that December date hit that BO and his agent were busy trying to get workouts, and any NFL teams willing to look at him would want to do it ASAP.

Last year, for instance, Rourke had 3 NFL workouts in the first week of the window while he was still injured. Had he waited, the NFL may have passed him over.

Brady is making a lot of public appearances. It doesn't look like he's getting any NFL workouts. I expect he'll be back. 

Kramdi i thought took a lot of heat this year from some people on here, perhaps unwarranted at times. I think that's a good signing, he's a capable Canadian who can make plays. I think he's just going to get better. As for Bryant and the sorts, if he wants to retire, let him. stick around another year? let him. But we are hosting in 2025 so, theres got to be a bit of a plan here or else 2025 could be a disaster of epic proportions. 

17 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Kramdi i thought took a lot of heat this year from some people on here, perhaps unwarranted at times. I think that's a good signing, he's a capable Canadian who can make plays. I think he's just going to get better. As for Bryant and the sorts, if he wants to retire, let him. stick around another year? let him. But we are hosting in 2025 so, theres got to be a bit of a plan here or else 2025 could be a disaster of epic proportions. 

Kramdi has become a versatile ratio option on defence, he allows them to play one less Natl. on the D-line.