2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm one of the oldtimers on this site. I don't want to invoke the age thingy where I say the fans had it a lot harder 50-55 years ago. All the weeknight home games during the season started at 8 pm on Tuesdays, Weds & Thursdays. As well as 2:30 pm on weekends. Mostly Sunday. No one complaind about the time the games started saying it's too late for kids.

Before I had a drivers license, I'd take a Stadium Bus from Riverview (where I lived) at Osborne & Jubilee all the way to the stadium. We'd pass through Riverview, go west on Corydon Avenue & into River Heights ending up on Kenaston & taking the St. James Bridge all the way to the stadium. The bus ride took 90 minutes with about 30 stops on the route.

After the game, I'd run for the bus parked at the stadium that would take me from the Stadium to the East Side of the Bay where I'd wait for the Osborne bus to take me home. Sometimes I'd go right back to where I picked up the bus at Jubilee stopping at the opposite side of Osborne. Or get off at Morley Avenue & take the bus to the end of the route where I lived. Getting home after midnight & having to be at Churchill High the next morning for 8:25 am. No one ever complained. Fans just went to the games. 

WHAT???? That's news to me.  Never seen that bit of info come up here before...

36 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Neufeld was arguably the teams best OL last season so him being back is good. Just wonder what the plan is for the young guys.

It’s much easier to look good at guard, he didn’t stand out but wasn’t frequently turn styling. Idk how much tread is left on his tire, but I’m also not sure how much Bryant and hardrick have left either. Chances all 3 have a full healthy season by regular ol starter standards is probably 0.
 It’s a tough spot. Moving on from old guys is not easy. And I fear we just won’t unless they retire. Leading to another step back in pass pro. 
 Eli was really our best ol in the back half of last year, which is sad bad kind of scary. Kola isn’t starter quality, gray struggles too much in pass pro at guard, the other 3 have about 800 million games combined.  

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

It’s much easier to look good at guard, he didn’t stand out but wasn’t frequently turn styling. Idk how much tread is left on his tire, but I’m also not sure how much Bryant and hardrick have left either. Chances all 3 have a full healthy season by regular ol starter standards is probably 0.
 It’s a tough spot. Moving on from old guys is not easy. And I fear we just won’t unless they retire. Leading to another step back in pass pro. 
 Eli was really our best ol in the back half of last year, which is sad bad kind of scary. Kola isn’t starter quality, gray struggles too much in pass pro at guard, the other 3 have about 800 million games combined.  

I don`t mind any of Hardrick, Stan or Neufeld coming back at all. We will, of course, need to make sure Dobson comes back and have strong IMP OTs on the PR but ride these horses until they buck you and just make sure plan B is ready to go.

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I like having Neufeld back. Perhaps the best way to go is to replace Kolo with Eli and Gray with Dobson.

No, with Neufeld at the age he is at we can`t toss Gray out.

55 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Neufeld was his usual steady self. No issues with him coming back at the right price. Kola you have to let go to FA. Eli needs to be in that spot in '24. Let Dobson duke it out with Gray for LG. 

Probably too late now, but whatever happened to trading good assets when the cupboard is full?  Kola could be a starter on many teams, and Walters could have received some well needed assets in return, like perhaps an under-used Natl. DE.

17 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I don`t mind any of Hardrick, Stan or Neufeld coming back at all. We will, of course, need to make sure Dobson comes back and have strong IMP OTs on the PR but ride these horses until they buck you and just make sure plan B is ready to go.

No, with Neufeld at the age he is at we can`t toss Gray out.

Gray might be better as a 6th OL

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Probably too late now, but whatever happened to trading good assets when the cupboard is full?  Kola could be a starter on many teams, and Walters could have received some well needed assets in return, like perhaps an under-used Natl. DE.

Maybe, but at the same time I don't like dealing NAT OL. That's how you become the Riders. I'd much rather stockpile them and bring the NAT DE you are thinking of home in FA, which is probably a pretty sure bet if we want him.

Edited by GCn20

Some people here put too much weight into age on olineman...as long as they aren't just fat turds with zero mobility (Dan Clarks) then mid 30's isn't an issue unless they constantly in the tub.

Eli wasn't signed for 3 yrs to be a back-up...The gig is his next yr and likely we dont bring Kolo back. Gray is the perfect 6th lineman as he can play all the spots, so I can see Dobson getting the legit opportunity to un-seat him.

And a guy signed now doesn't guarantee a spot come June either...well shouldn't and hiopefully Oshea has learned that lesson...Maybe Neuf becomes the extra guy as he is versatile as well...I just hope this spring there is legit competition in camp and no gifts and loyalty plays this yr

21 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Maybe, but at the same time I don't like dealing NAT OL. That's how you become the Riders. I'd much rather stockpile them and bring the NAT DE you are thinking of home in FA, which is probably a pretty sure bet if we want him.

The alternative is receiving nothing and seeing an O-lineman or two leave to play elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

Some people here put too much weight into age on olineman...as long as they aren't just fat turds with zero mobility (Dan Clarks) then mid 30's isn't an issue unless they constantly in the tub.

Eli wasn't signed for 3 yrs to be a back-up...The gig is his next yr and likely we dont bring Kolo back. Gray is the perfect 6th lineman as he can play all the spots, so I can see Dobson getting the legit opportunity to un-seat him.

And a guy signed now doesn't guarantee a spot come June either...well shouldn't and hiopefully Oshea has learned that lesson...Maybe Neuf becomes the extra guy as he is versatile as well...I just hope this spring there is legit competition in camp and no gifts and loyalty plays this yr

It depends on whether we get Dobson back really. Though I suspect we will.

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

The alternative is receiving nothing and seeing an O-lineman or two leave to play elsewhere.

Who is leaving?

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Don't you remember? Walters refused to do any work until he had a new contract! /S

6 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Dobson doesn't seem to be listed as a FA, but if he is/was, that would be a hard person to retain in a 6th OL role.

He might not be a FA. I thought he was, but it was just an assumption. Hope he isn't.

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

TBD, maybe Kola, Gray or Dobson, nobody wants to be the 6th man at this point in their careers.

Could be that by the time all 3 of them are up for contract renewal we have a spot for all of them. 

Whoever we have on that OL. I hope they play with a bigger chip in their shoulder this year. Not that they didn't have any last season. But there were too many liberties taken with players by some defenses this past year and a lack of response by the big guys. 

Don't get yer panties in a bunch...they played with attitude and played to the whistle often. But....when teams started getting lippy and really punching back (didn't happen often) the OL didn't respond in kind....which I understand would draw a penalty or two. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. That is one of my big complaints about the GC honestly. MTL started hitting hard and talking **** and no one of the offense seemed to care.

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He might not be a FA. I thought he was, but it was just an assumption. Hope he isn't.

Could be that by the time all 3 of them are up for contract renewal we have a spot for all of them. 

Dobson appears to be the only one that isn't a FA this year, which is weird because he just finished his second year with the team.

Edited by Fatty Liver

3 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

If you think Kolo could be a starter elsewhere then why not just stay here? He was far from the worst OL on the roster. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I like having Neufeld back. Perhaps the best way to go is to replace Kolo with Eli and Gray with Dobson.

For what we have on the roster inside right now, I’d agree. Now I think it’s possible we’d benefit from flipping hardrick and gray, but that’s an awful big risk. Gray is a fantastic guy as the 6th. 

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No I'm asking to spur a conversation about it. It wasn't Neufeld or hardrick... nor Bryant IMO so really it comes down to Kolo or Gray. Just curious what others views are.

Honestly most guys took turns being the worst. No easy one guy was the problem. Though kolo has never been a starter. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If you think Kolo could be a starter elsewhere then why not just stay here? He was far from the worst OL on the roster. 

Because general consensus is Eli is ready to assume the Centre position and offers more upside.  Are you suggesting Kola displaces someone else along the line or would be happy becoming the 6th man?  He may not start on most teams but he could probably find 2 or 3 that would be happy to have him.