Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

Just now, Jesse said:

That's more than I'd like to pay, but I believe that the WFC is willing to go there. It makes sense.

I also believe that Brady is probably using the 250 number to try and pull us towards and over the 200 line. But that is just too much and would just hurt the team more than it would help us.

I wouldnt pay that....but hear that is what we willing to do....give or take a schekle.....and some guarantee money too if he takes 3 yrs in that area/range

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

I wouldnt pay that....but hear that is what we willing to do....give or take a schekle.....and some guarantee money too if he takes 3 yrs in that area/range

I know you wouldn't (and that's fair), but I've always been pretty convinced that we'd be a top bidder. He's just more valuable to us than he'd be anywhere else and that goes both ways. He'd be a fool to leave. 

Edited by Jesse

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I know you wouldn't (and that's fair), but I've always been pretty convinced that we'd be a top bidder. He's just more valuable to us than he'd be anywhere else and that goes both ways. He'd be a fool to leave. 

There is value in having a local kid on the roster, beyond just the on-field production. 

Just now, bigg jay said:

And prior to Harris we had none but yet the club survived.  Having locals does have off-field value but the club will be just fine with or without BO.

being local should have no bearing on signing especially if it throws the SMS out of whack and you have to let someone else of vale walk....bottom line is wins...not employing locals...33k will still come out and support if the running back was from here....or Buttitch Arkansas

2 hours ago, Booch said:

was hearing an offer of 2 yrs...175/190.....Or thats what our capped out dollar amount is....don't use as verbatim tho

I mentioned way back to expect to hear Strev news/talk in Jan....and really I think thats the smart move to replace Brown and Prukop with him, and actually go import at RB....Have a Canadian there serves us no real advantage ratio wise anymore, and hamstrings us by basically tripling that SMS hit....which goes a long way to re-up Schoen and Strev....and Buck licking his chops about the idea of ZC and Strev on filed at same time...DC's around league not so much

If I was Walters, and BO wants to play hardball is to snag Logan out of CGY as our RB...gives coverage in return game, and with our line, and how our receivers block, with his explosive home run speed, dude would light it up if we commit to run as per usual

For what it worth expect a Schoen return as well....

I am of the firm belief that we have a VERY good chance of getting Streveler back and it won't be for much more than we paid Brown.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

That's more than I'd like to pay, but I believe that the WFC is willing to go there. It makes sense.

I also believe that Brady is probably using the 250 number to try and pull us towards and over the 200 line. But that is just too much and would just hurt the team more than it would help us.

I think the 200k number is just a media creation based on the fact that most of them have the math skills of a 3 year old.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Toronto is prepared to let AJ walk because of a 170k ask being what they consider too rich for a running back. I think that is what most of the league feels as well. BO just has zero leverage because he plays a position that CFL teams will not pay big for. Does he deserve 200k in a perfect world? Of course he does. Will he get it. I highly doubt it.

Edited by GCn20

15 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I think the 200k number is just a media creation based on the fact that most of them have the math skills of a 3 year old.

I said 200 just because it seems to be a milestone between BO's reported ask and what we'd reasonably want to sign him for. 

If a team needs to upgrade their Canadian roster, a Canadian R might be the answer. However OL and DL might have higher values and longevity than a RB.  How a team chooses to deploy their ratio also includes the back ups at a given position.

Oliveria as a Canadian could be seen as being worth more than Ouellette as an import. How much more is a matter of perspective. Even with that is there a taker that approaches $200K?

1 minute ago, Blue In BC said:

Oliveria as a Canadian could be seen as being worth more than Ouellette as an import. How much more is a matter of perspective. Even with that is there a taker that approaches $200K?

GMs do weird things. Who would have thought that Jones would throw $300k at Lawler? He reset the receiver market and we're still dealing with the ramifications. 

Brady may learn that there isn’t as much money to be out there as he thinks. RB isn’t much different here compared to the NFL with regards to how replaceable they are. Wearing a Winnipeg jersey has just as much value to Brady as it does to the Bombers and I’m sure his agent will remind him of that.

All his charitable causes get a big boost in awareness and visibility because he’s in town. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

GMs do weird things. Who would have thought that Jones would throw $300k at Lawler? He reset the receiver market and we're still dealing with the ramifications. 

What GMs in pro football never do is break the bank for a RB. Supply and demand.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Brady may learn that there isn’t as much money to be out there as he thinks. RB isn’t much different here compared to the NFL with regards to how replaceable they are. Wearing a Winnipeg jersey has just as much value to Brady as it does to the Bombers and I’m sure his agent will remind him of that.

All his charitable causes get a big boost in awareness and visibility because he’s in town. 

Extremely good points

5 hours ago, Jesse said:

Agreed. Every decision is a compromise.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Oliviera being a local works both ways. Do not underestimate the value of being home and the comfort of familiarity  and lower cost of living, not to mention the presence of family and old friends. Money isn't everything, not to mention having an o-line capable of protecting him and extending his playing career and post-CFL body health.  

Remember how Harris was doing here in 16 before they sorted out the OL by moving Bond in to guard, and Hardrick stepped up at RT?

O'Shea was about to get fired.

That's kind of the danger for Oliviera.  And contracts aren't guaranteed.

His income outside of football is way larger here.  He's a celebrity here.  He might be in Sask too.  Otherwise he'll be a nobody until he produces.

I don't see more than 3 teams giving him a call on Day 1 including the Bombers.  Toronto, Sask, Winnipeg.  And Toronto obviously wants to keep their own guy and if they do probably won't be interested.

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Remember how Harris was doing here in 16 before they sorted out the OL by moving Bond in to guard, and Hardrick stepped up at RT?

His income outside of football is way larger here.  He's a celebrity here.  He might be in Sask too.  Otherwise he'll be a nobody until he produces.

I don't see more than 3 teams giving him a call on Day 1 including the Bombers.  Toronto, Sask, Winnipeg.  And Toronto obviously wants to keep their own guy and if they do probably won't be interested.

I’ve been thinking BC, Sask, Winnipeg 

11 hours ago, Jesse said:

I’ve been thinking BC, Sask, Winnipeg 

Normally I would think that BC having interest in him would be a no-brainer, would be the best offseason move they could make imo, but Maksymic really seems to be allergic to the run game.

12 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Chasing dollars can back fire spectacularly for sure.

21 hours ago, Booch said:

I don't hate those numbers per se, but it would irk me if we lost out on Schoen or Strev to keep BO at a high salary.

34 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Normally I would think that BC having interest in him would be a no-brainer, would be the best offseason move they could make imo, but Maksymic really seems to be allergic to the run game.

Chasing dollars can back fire spectacularly for sure.

I don't hate those numbers per se, but it would irk me if we lost out on Schoen or Strev to keep BO at a high salary.

agree....If it came down to it..we a better team with Scoen/Strev than we are with a bloated BO salary...especially when we can get same out put there with an entry level, or second contract import (Hello Mills or Logan)

26 minutes ago, Booch said:

agree....If it came down to it..we a better team with Scoen/Strev than we are with a bloated BO salary...especially when we can get same out put there with an entry level, or second contract import (Hello Mills or Logan)

It pains me to think of losing BO, but at the end of the day hard decisions will have to be made. I want our QB of the future, and the most dangerous receiver in the league here. It just makes us a better team. I really can't see how we can fit them all. If we can that would be some kind of Walters magic.

Edited by GCn20

14 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Knowing it won't happen but it be weird/fascinating if the Argo's and Bombers exchanged RB's.

22 hours ago, bigg jay said:

And prior to Harris we had none but yet the club survived.  Having locals does have off-field value but the club will be just fine with or without BO.

TBFT, we won 2 GCs in the last 30 when we had a home town talent featured on the team... just saying. 

14 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Without BO we still have a home town kid that will be heavily featured on the team.

and could have Mason Bennett on defence

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

It pains me to think of losing BO, but at the end of the day hard decisions will have to be made. I want our QB of the future, and the most dangerous receiver in the league here. It just makes us a better team. I really can't see how we can fit them all. If we can that would be some kind of Walters magic.

To make that all work could be at expense of Bailey...Walker....Kolo...Thomas...The latter 2 which should be a given...Possibly Jeffcoat if we land Bennett.....as we have some talent at DE....If only they would be allowed to get a shot (see u later Jackson fixes that)

I think Fox should be given the opportunity they gave Walker...Walker is solid...Fox can be impactful....

Edited by Booch