Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

6 hours ago, Dodge and Burn said:

Co faj dropped 3 tds and 290yds on us... no pressure. 

Our D shittt the bed. 

Zac played a little better than last year.  Which isnt saying much. 

What’s really sad is cf played a better game against us in the gc than Zach has played for us in all his play off games here. 

20 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Kolo, Grey, Biggie, Houston, BA can all go, or step into backup roles. 
Can’t keep both OT’s however it shakes out. 

Start Hallett at safety, make Lawson the rotation guy on the line and find a big fat American who can push the pocket to play next to Walker. 

Briggs, Cadwallader, Bennett, Exume, Thomas are all beyond useless. 

All the globals on the PR are useless. Let a million front seven prospects go so we can keep a Japanese lineman who will never see the field? 

The gimmick punter can hit the streets.  

Hall needs to retire. Boudreau can Bou-Go. 
Quit trying to play ST like there’s a 75 man roster. 

Re-stock the  PR with actual prospects and re-stock the gameday depth with  guys who can actually play offence or defence.

Count me in the trade Collaros group. I’ll always love him for 2019 but we can’t pay 600k for a fair-weather quarterback. 

Pay Brown half that and use the rest to fix the back half of the roster. 

Pay Walters whatever it takes to come back and put MOS on a short leash like they had to in 2016. 

Build around a core of Brown, Olivera, Lawler, Shoen, Eli, Dobson and Richmond on O.

Cole, the Jeff’s, Wilson. Nichols, Holm and Parker are my only must-keeps on D 

Give Grant another chance with better ST schemes but I’d tell him to keep his apartment back home too. They might have wrecked him trying to use him as a running back this summer. 

Build for a year under those circumstances and we have a great shot at 2025. 

Hallett starting at S makes us worse. S should be an imp position unless you have a ratio breaker. it’s not a position to throw a teams guy into.

gray is good on the edge and as the 6th ol. Start Dobson and Eli develop them keep gray as 6th ol. 

briggs cadawaller and exhume are all valuable on teams. Briggs is solid as a sub. 

Karamoko should be on the game day. We do need fresh globals though. Kick the punter and roster Hansen and Karamoko. 

I don’t think it’s boudreau on teams I think it’s mos meddling with his boys. But shaking up the coaching staff could be good. Get some of mos guys out. I’m ready to see JY take over for hall for sure. 

grants still very good, he just hasn’t been healthy and yeah running him into the dirt on stupid plays and playing with poor blocking schemes hasn’t helped. I’m sure he will be his usual self next year.

Agree on most of the rest. I’ll add gauthier deserves to be here he played a hell of a game. Walker was good but not what we need. Should be kept though. Habba too. 

I worry that with mos, a lot of the problem guys will be in camp next year and make the team no matter what, again. 

8 hours ago, Jesse said:

Again, I'm not going to sit here and defend MOS.

I don't like the use of an American FB, or starting Biggie and Schoen when they were not at their best, or not having a back-up for the secondary or receiving core.

I just don't think that's what it cam down to tonight. We were one play away on a night when either our O or our D should have been able to run the table. So we can debate the minutiae that might have gotten us that 5% to take us over the edge, but I'm more concerned with why both halves of our team just ****ed off tonight.

Is Zach the issue? Is Buck out smarting himself? Do the Jeff's need more time in between plays? Do we need a more emotional leadership core that can bring the energy in important moments? I just can't believe the answer is in replacing a FB or having Ambles start instead of McCrea. 

we didnt lose due to one play....when it was 10 zip we should have went for the throat...and we didn't/couldn't and that was a huge red flag...and giving up feild position all game on teams, and running an offence with only really 2/3rds of the receiving group actually healthy to do mush was also a major fail...Why do you think our offence looked off...no pre-snap motion to set things up...or jet sweeps....receiver runs...Heavy inside passes?...cause our guys couldn't do it...and shouldn't have been out there.

Schoen for most part took no attention away from the MTL defence, and they gave him some underneath stuff to the sidelines...big deal....But running BOLO down the rail, or in a deep or midrange skinny post...or fade would have....Dumping Agudosi too was dumb and gave no coverage...I bet him down the rail or deep down the middle would have drawn away a DB and safety....

Our roster killed us...The Jeffs basically played all game....no end in the league will be successful with that load....not happening....Houston was being exploited....no coverage there to pull him...Perfect opp was there to have Rose there, and he WOULD have made a difference....but no ..Biggie was in...did nothing...cost us a TD....and was off the field as much as on it....Roster decisions...use of talent...or lack there of killed us....and it wasnt in just this game...went on all yr, and yes we eeked out a few wins we were lucky to get in spite of it...so it all seemed rosey....and it wasn't

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I survived the cut. 

what does that post even mean or imply??

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Hallett starting at S makes us worse. S should be an imp position unless you have a ratio breaker. it’s not a position to throw a teams guy into.

gray is good on the edge and as the 6th ol. Start Dobson and Eli develop them keep gray as 6th ol. 

briggs cadawaller and exhume are all valuable on teams. Briggs is solid as a sub. 

Karamoko should be on the game day. We do need fresh globals though. Kick the punter and roster Hansen and Karamoko. 

I don’t think it’s boudreau on teams I think it’s mos meddling with his boys. But shaking up the coaching staff could be good. Get some of mos guys out. I’m ready to see JY take over for hall for sure. 

grants still very good, he just hasn’t been healthy and yeah running him into the dirt on stupid plays and playing with poor blocking schemes hasn’t helped. I’m sure he will be his usual self next year.

Agree on most of the rest. I’ll add gauthier deserves to be here he played a hell of a game. Walker was good but not what we need. Should be kept though. Habba too. 

I worry that with mos, a lot of the problem guys will be in camp next year and make the team no matter what, again. 

BA would be the perfect DA who could slot in at safety..SAM...corner and still plays great teams.

Holm should be our safety next yr as we don't need a big bopper there, and we focus on HB who are physical, and can play up and disrupt receivers as well as run with them and cover....we play to soft, and when it gets to crunch time more often than not it kills us as we get nickle and dimed down a feild....

We don't need a plethora of guys who excel playing off and seem like good guys at closing in on a pass to stop progress...we need more guys who are there to actually limit the receptions in the first place

and the bolded is key...its what has occured 2 yrs running now...and hmmmmm0-2 in last 2 grey cups

25 minutes ago, Booch said:

we didnt lose due to one play....when it was 10 zip we should have went for the throat...and we didn't/couldn't and that was a huge red flag...and giving up feild position all game on teams, and running an offence with only really 2/3rds of the receiving group actually healthy to do mush was also a major fail...Why do you think our offence looked off...no pre-snap motion to set things up...or jet sweeps....receiver runs...Heavy inside passes?...cause our guys couldn't do it...and shouldn't have been out there.

Schoen for most part took no attention away from the MTL defence, and they gave him some underneath stuff to the sidelines...big deal....But running BOLO down the rail, or in a deep or midrange skinny post...or fade would have....Dumping Agudosi too was dumb and gave no coverage...I bet him down the rail or deep down the middle would have drawn away a DB and safety....

Our roster killed us...The Jeffs basically played all game....no end in the league will be successful with that load....not happening....Houston was being exploited....no coverage there to pull him...Perfect opp was there to have Rose there, and he WOULD have made a difference....but no ..Biggie was in...did nothing...cost us a TD....and was off the field as much as on it....Roster decisions...use of talent...or lack there of killed us....and it wasnt in just this game...went on all yr, and yes we eeked out a few wins we were lucky to get in spite of it...so it all seemed rosey....and it wasn't

If you think about it a bit, it's pretty funny. (Good natured poking fun at you and the other "veterans" on the list)

Edited by Slimy Sculpin

Checking back in after not even wanting to think about it after the game.

MOS has to show that he's willing to move on from some vets and give up and coming guys a legitimate chance to start. I'm worried about losing signing good players to other teams, when they know MOS is gonna be biased to his vets. How many up and comers on this team currently choose to go somewhere else next year where they're given a chance to compete if nothing cahnges?

Need to go; Alexander, Biggie, Thomas, Houston for sure. Based on age, if it's keeping Dru, and getting something for Zac, or losing Dru and riding Zac out to pasture, I'm going with Dru. it would also illustrate that those that have earned a shot will get it.

Edited by itchy

30 minutes ago, Booch said:

BA would be the perfect DA who could slot in at safety..SAM...corner and still plays great teams.

Holm should be our safety next yr as we don't need a big bopper there, and we focus on HB who are physical, and can play up and disrupt receivers as well as run with them and cover....we play to soft, and when it gets to crunch time more often than not it kills us as we get nickle and dimed down a feild....

We don't need a plethora of guys who excel playing off and seem like good guys at closing in on a pass to stop progress...we need more guys who are there to actually limit the receptions in the first place

and the bolded is key...its what has occured 2 yrs running now...and hmmmmm0-2 in last 2 grey cups

I like your ideas for the defensive backfield.

I really think our reputation as an old boys club is going to hurt us in recruiting and free agency. It starts with all the promosing guys we parachute onto the PR, only for them never to get even a sniff. And it ends with a guy like Ambles who will surely spread the word that the Bombers would rather play "their" guy on one leg than give him a chance to help the team win.

FIFO - First In, or **** Off

9 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I really think our reputation as an old boys club is going to hurt us in recruiting and free agency. It starts with all the promosing guys we parachute onto the PR, only for them never to get even a sniff. And it ends with a guy like Ambles who will surely spread the word that the Bombers would rather play "their" guy on one leg than give him a chance to help the team win.

Think of who free agents are though.  They want job security not competition.

Funny because there was a time here when FIFO was real.  Look at Korey Banks.  Winning kind of softened it for the guys who MOS won with.

3 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Meh. We haven't needed to go into FA much, it's not that we're trying to sign guys and they go elsewhere.

Aside from this year, our recruitment has been pretty spectacular. But we didn't leave much space for newbies this season, for sure. 

57 minutes ago, Booch said:

Do or Die made a joke listing a bunch of posters as “veterans who should be cut” earlier in the thread. @rebusrankin was replying to that 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

What’s really sad is cf played a better game against us in the gc than Zach has played for us in all his play off games here. 

Yeah it really seems like he hates playing in the cold. Dont really know what the issue is with him in the playoffs/Grey Cup. We seem to be winning in spite of him.

Breaking down the offence. I generally want things to stay the same/can't see better options out there. Big question with Schoen, small question with Brady. I would really, really like to see some young OL just take jobs and turn our front into a bigger force again. Will need some investment in WR and OL next year for development and depth. Might need the next developmental QB, too.

Quarterbacks:

Zach - ***** all you guys want, he's going no where. 

Dru Brown - heard some interesting things lately. I'm more open to the idea he might come back than I was earlier in the season. 

Runningback:

Brady - obviously want him back, but he's put a little fly in the ointment on that one. Would need a new starter if he left.

Offensive Line:

Stan - coin flip on if he retires. I bet a lot of the vets are going to make this decision together. I feel he'll be back

Neuf - Kind of a prime retirement candidate. Does he do what Stan does?

Kolankowski - I'm done with this experiment.

Gray - Don't have enough bodies to replace the whole interior, if it comes to that.

Hardrick - He'll play until they rip the jersey off his back. No one will do that.

Eli - Need him to have the off season of his life and force his way onto the starting roster

Dobson - Same. Put up or shut up time. 

Receivers:

Kenny - Paid way too much for next year, but he can be best. Need him to play a full season next year tho. No more crap.

Schoen - Grey Cup notwithstanding, he's a beast. When Zach is able to be mobile in the pocket, no one is more dangerous.

Bailey - another team friendly deal? We may need some rookie salaries in the rest of the receiving core.

Demski/Woli - all signed up already?

BOO - Probably moves onto another opportunity if he can, but bring him back if we can

________ - I wish we had a guy this year that I could look forward to next year. Recruiting fail at receiver this year. 

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

In the end, Paul Maurice syndrome, ha PMS did them in. Loyalty to vets when it's apparent they aren't gonna get it done. 

Jets look so much better without Wheeler it's insane.  Who is the Bombers Wheeler? 

well not in terms of attitude... but probably bighill. O'Shea will never not put Bighill in a prime position on D and Bighill is nowhere near the player he was a few seasons ago. GM is likely going to have to force the issue there because I don't see the defence getting truly better until we can move on from that aging star. Ritchie Hall D has always needed a quality middle linebacker to be effective.