Call it what you want … you need to move on from Collaros

Mike

Folks are doing mental gymnastics to say that Dru Brown should stay with the Bombers.

The reality is that he needs starts to get better & he needs a chance to be the number 1 QB. We can't give him either. Even if the contract was the same amount, and quite frankly we can't afford to pay our backup as much as other teams can because of Collaros' salary, he'd be better off taking a job with a team that gives more chance at playing time. 

22 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Folks are doing mental gymnastics to say that Dru Brown should stay with the Bombers.

The reality is that he needs starts to get better & he needs a chance to be the number 1 QB. We can't give him either. Even if the contract was the same amount, and quite frankly we can't afford to pay our backup as much as other teams can because of Collaros' salary, he'd be better off taking a job with a team that gives more chance at playing time. 

We can afford whatever we decide we can afford. If the Bombers want to pay him 250k...no problem...it just means we have to sacrifice elsewhere. How much we pay our QBs depends solely on what our management feels is the cost benefit to doing so.  However, should we decide that Brown is a priority sign at too far over what he is making now then people better get used to watching Schoen and/or Brady playing somewhere else. That would be the likely trade off. Worth it? Not for me to decide but I wouldn't. Not in the age of short term contracts in the CFL. 

Edited by GCn20

1 more year here could absolutely impact his earning potential moving forward as well. His next play could be his last. Or he could look like **** this year. 

Also this talk of no teams looking good right now is pointless. CFL FA could and often does change things. If CGY picks up a couple WRs or hell even one. They could be a very good landing spot. 

And in terms of comfort in a system...it's the CFL, there are no mysteries. Teams often run very similar schemes and if not, any team putting a big financial commitment into a qb would absolutely want to design the system around him.

I want to keep Brown. But he's gone.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

If he was smart he'd sign another 1 yr deal here...with some starter caveats in it...if ZC falters or goes down...why ruin your luster going into the complete unknown and possible abyss somewhere else....stay where u are comfortable and actually making strides.....one more yr wont kill his earning potential in long run.....running off and being an epic flop elsewhere will tho...Think of James Franklin...looked good in the system he grew into and was showing potential to be next big thing....moved on...fizzled out.... a lil smaller sample size than Dru as Dru has 3 yrs under his belt as opposed to 2 like Franklin...but when he left Edm he looked nothing like he was there in T.O

No team would be foolish enough to offer him a one year deal so he can double back after year one, if he wants access to the land of $300k+ contracts he's going to have to show them some commitment so they can build an offence around him, by signing a 2 maybe 3 year contract.  GM's and coaches will also consider retaining their own jobs in this process, if Brown signs for one year and leaves after a good or a bad season, it would leave a coach like Bob Dyce in the same vulnerable position of starting again with nuthin'.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Hey, I'm not saying he does have infinite time. Just saying if the contract from one of the tire fires doesn't blow me away I might wait one more year. What Brown opts to do...who knows. If the RBS or Riders offer me 400k hard money and I was Brown, I would probably take it on a one year deal.

You’d be poor agent.

You want a 3 year deal with guarantees and escalating hard money.  Guy could get injured immediately.

There’s a lot of variables and no one wants a 1 year deal.

Brown has at least 3 suitors depending on what Hamilton decides.  Sask is out if they are keeping Harris.  Won’t have the cap space with his hard money to be competitive.  I think Ottawa will have to outbid everyone absurdly for a few reasons including location and current staff.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

We can afford whatever we decide we can afford. If the Bombers want to pay him 250k...no problem...it just means we have to sacrifice elsewhere. How much we pay our QBs depends solely on what our management feels is the cost benefit to doing so.  However, should we decide that Brown is a priority sign at too far over what he is making now then people better get used to watching Schoen and/or Brady playing somewhere else. That would be the likely trade off. Worth it? Not for me to decide but I wouldn't. Not in the age of short term contracts in the CFL. 

...and that decision may already be made, if Brown agreed to terms to stay for another year, they would probably have announced it this week. He'd be dumb not to explore FA.

Here's what he earned last season, making him the 15th highest paid QB in the land.

Hard money: $82,000
Maximum value: $97,000

"The Oklahoma State product has a $75,000 base salary with $7,000 in housing money and will collect $500 each time he plays more than 51 percent of Winnipeg’s offensive plays in a game."

If anything the ability to pay him more will be more challenging next season, considering all the other major bumps Walters has to administer.

14 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

...and that decision may already be made, if Brown agreed to terms to stay for another year, they would probably have announced it this week. He'd be dumb not to explore FA.

Here's what he earned last season, making him the 15th highest paid QB in the land.

Hard money: $82,000
Maximum value: $97,000

"The Oklahoma State product has a $75,000 base salary with $7,000 in housing money and will collect $500 each time he plays more than 51 percent of Winnipeg’s offensive plays in a game."

If anything the ability to pay him more will be more challenging next season, considering all the other major bumps Walters has to administer.

It will absolutely be very tough to keep him. No doubt about it. If we do it would almost certainly end any hope of retaining Prukop and another veteran player and that's assuming no one offers him starter salary.

37 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

You’d be poor agent.

You want a 3 year deal with guarantees and escalating hard money.  Guy could get injured immediately.

There’s a lot of variables and no one wants a 1 year deal.

Brown has at least 3 suitors depending on what Hamilton decides.  Sask is out if they are keeping Harris.  Won’t have the cap space with his hard money to be competitive.  I think Ottawa will have to outbid everyone absurdly for a few reasons including location and current staff.

Would not surprise me to see Calgary in on him, as well as Edmonton and Ottawa. I doubt anyone is giving him guaranteed money on this next contract. Failing that I definitely go one year contract as a player unless someone wants to blow their brains out in the hard money department. He, at best, will get first time starter offers of money. No way I sign for more than a year of that. I base that on my own personal assessment that Brown is an intriguing but not surefire QB solution. GMs around the league may not share my assessment and he gets a very nice hard money offer. In that case sign the multi-year deal.

Edited by GCn20

12 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'll be disappointed if Prukop is back next year.

For what he's used for he gets the job done, if he wants to come back for the same wage, I suspect the Bombers would take him.  You have to remember Zach loved that QB room and his opinion counts a lot.

Edited by Fatty Liver

19 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I think my worry and that of many here about losing Dru Brown is that we're losing a guy who will go on to play at a high level for the next 10-12 years much like Danny Mac did after he left in 1993.

The truth is that many here. like myself, are concerned that O'Shea will continue to keep and start Collaros even if Collaros fades badly and Brown (or another QB) out-performs him. O'Shea's Achilles' heel seems to be his stubbornness and his favouring veterans. Good teams and coaches move players out when its time for them to go. 

They key is the front office finding a glut of 26-27 year old guys for TC to push out some of the deadwood. Players who have had enough time as NFL TCF/PR or a bit of time with other CFL clubs. Those are the only kind of new guys he ever puts on the roster in time to do anything meaningful in a season. 

Last 2 TC’s we’ve seen more 22-25 year old players being brought in.
Even NI’s we draft, O’Shea seems really adverse to starting when they’re under 25-26. 
Rudy stories on the other hand…

23 year old DT from Florida State or something, nope. 
Then a guy like Jackson would have to take a piss on the 55 to get taken off. 

It’s not like that makes Osh a bad coach. That glass is more than half full, I’m saying his veteran bias and maybe being a bit too much of a stickler for “paying your dues” is maybe what keeps the water from being up to the brim so to speak. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'll be disappointed if Prukop is back next year.

I wouldn't be if they keep him for the exact same role. He can go to the USFXLPDTJS and can join us after training camp, provided we don't find his replacement. I think finding that replacement will be tough. Pigrome didn't have it.  

Prokup was simply the best short yardage player, IMO, in the league. First downs were automatic. 

3 hours ago, bb1 said:

Yea i know 400k for a possible starter? I definitely see Chris Jones rolling that dice.  Really in his situation i would not blame him...

Already has Cornelius and Ford. Even if he dumped Ford, he has to pay Yukon his silver and gold. 

6 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

They key is the front office finding a glut of 26-27 year old guys for TC to push out some of the deadwood. Players who have had enough time as NFL TCF/PR or a bit of time with other CFL clubs. Those are the only kind of new guys he ever puts on the roster in time to do anything meaningful in a season. 

Last 2 TC’s we’ve seen more 22-25 year old players being brought in.
Even NI’s we draft, O’Shea seems really adverse to starting when they’re under 25-26. 
Rudy stories on the other hand…

23 year old DT from Florida State or something, nope. 
Then a guy like Jackson would have to take a piss on the 55 to get taken off. 

It’s not like that makes Osh a bad coach. That glass is more than half full, I’m saying his veteran bias and maybe being a bit too much of a stickler for “paying your dues” is maybe what keeps the water from being up to the brim so to speak. 

Nice to see someone else sees the flaws ...all the good traits aside..they are glaring impactful flaws that need to be addressed from someone above him...who is his boss to have them corrected...

2 hours ago, JCon said:

I wouldn't be if they keep him for the exact same role. He can go to the USFXLPDTJS and can join us after training camp, provided we don't find his replacement. I think finding that replacement will be tough. Pigrome didn't have it.  

Prokup was simply the best short yardage player, IMO, in the league. First downs were automatic. 

Already has Cornelius and Ford. Even if he dumped Ford, he has to pay Yukon his silver and gold. 

How much guaranteed coin does Yukon get if he is cut? Just curious not doubting your argument.😊

24 minutes ago, bb1 said:

How much guaranteed coin does Yukon get if he is cut? Just curious not doubting your argument.😊

$100k if he's on the roster January 15th, 2024. 

That's before anyone can talk to Dru, unless they trade for his rights. 

In 2024, Cornelius will collect $100,000 for being on the Elks’ active roster on Jan. 15 with and an additional $46,500 for reporting to training camp and passing his physical, a $200,000 base salary, half of which is guaranteed under the terms of the latest collective bargaining agreement, along with the same housing and travel available. This totals $370,000 in hard money plus the potential to earn an additional $40,000 for being the team’s starter.

https://3downnation.com/2022/09/21/contract-details-edmonton-elks-pay-qb-taylor-cornelius-over-100000-to-sign-extension/

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

In 2024, Cornelius will collect $100,000 for being on the Elks’ active roster on Jan. 15 with and an additional $46,500 for reporting to training camp and passing his physical, a $200,000 base salary, half of which is guaranteed under the terms of the latest collective bargaining agreement, along with the same housing and travel available. This totals $370,000 in hard money plus the potential to earn an additional $40,000 for being the team’s starter.

https://3downnation.com/2022/09/21/contract-details-edmonton-elks-pay-qb-taylor-cornelius-over-100000-to-sign-extension/

Whistle....yea that is a hell of a roll of the dice.  Though i could see Jones cutting Yukon before Jan 15th, cause he never looked comfortable with Ford as his starter. I guess we see come the 15th. 😊

15 hours ago, Tracker said:

The truth is that many here. like myself, are concerned that O'Shea will continue to keep and start Collaros even if Collaros fades badly and Brown (or another QB) out-performs him. O'Shea's Achilles' heel seems to be his stubbornness and his favouring veterans. Good teams and coaches move players out when its time for them to go. 

Sure that's the fear. The question is whether that fear has any merit.

8 hours ago, JCon said:

100k offseason bonus on Jan 15 and a further 100k that is guaranteed later on. If the Esks want to limit their liability to Cornelius to 100k they must turf him prior to Jan. 15.