Call it what you want … you need to move on from Collaros

Mike

Zach. 

Anyway, it is fine to wonder how much longer he can continue to be the best QB in the league (and he was last year). Say  what you want about 2021 - he had a great 4th quarter and OT. 

He was also injured in the Cup last year - but let’s hold that against him. Did anyone want Brown or Prukop starting that game? I didn’t. 

His “off years” for us has been the top QB in the league and going to Grey Cups. 

He has also stayed healthy for the most part. 

Edited by Geebrr

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Then watch Brown become a star somewhere else...(zacks words that he will be one) while Collaros game goes into natural decline

Yea that's a possibility for sure. However do you think Brown overtakes Collaros next year? I don't. Do you think he over takes ZC by year end 2025? Possible but I'd be willing to bet against it. Therefore, we keep our best QB right now....everytime and always. One year contracts make it a necessity in this league. We could keep Brown and end up taking him through his growing pains as a starter and he leaves anyway for all we know.

4 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Zach. 

Anyway, it is fine to wonder how much longer he can continue to be the best QB in the league (and he was last year). Say  what you want about 2021 - he had a great 4th quarter and OT. 

He was also injured in the Cup the year before - but let’s hold that against him. Did anyone want Brown or Prukop starting that game? I didn’t. 

His “off years” for us has been the top QB in the league and going to Grey Cups. 

He has also stayed healthy for the most part. 

Agreed. If we get this year's Zac Collaros next year we will have the best QBing in the league still.

I think Brown has a good chance to be a high caliber qb. But...did anyone expect Zach to say something else about him? Why are some taking it as gospel that Brown is the next coming. Lol. Like what team have we been watching? Players will never throw anyone under any kind of bus anytime. Ever...Zach was as much playing the media as he was complimenting Brown.

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I think Brown has a good chance to be a high caliber qb. But...did anyone expect Zach to say something else about him? Why are some taking it as gospel that Brown is the next coming. Lol. Like what team have we been watching? Players will never throw anyone under any kind of bus anytime. Ever...Zach was as much playing the media as he was complimenting Brown.

What else would he say?  

I’m sure he’d say Prukop could be a starter too. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Anyone who didn't see cracks start to emerge in Collaros wasn't paying attention and at his age it is totally valid to question how much longer he can be at that level. Especially when he has a top 2 biggest salary in the league.

The same could have been said about Collaros at the end of the 2017 season before the Ti-Cats traded him to Sask., most people thought he was on the decline and already washed up.  He has cracks but has managed to patch himself back together mentally and physically and play at a high level multiple times over his career.

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

The same could have been said about Collaros at the end of the 2017 season before the Ti-Cats traded him to Sask., most people thought he was on the decline and already washed up.  He has cracks but has managed to patch himself back together mentally and physically and play at a high level multiple times over his career.

But as you get older Fatty...it gets harder and harder every year to patch those cracks (you should know that) One day you're going to hit the wall....Hope it's not next year as far as Zack is concerned

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

If we get this year's Zac Collaros next year we will have the best QBing in the league still.

Doubtful. We had mostly 2nd and short thanks to Oliveira - that kind of outstanding ground game makes things hugely easier for your QB. Less is required of him. One could argue BO's routine 6-9 yards gains masked Collaros's shortcomings. Collaros also benefitted from tossing to the best receiving crew in the CFL. That won't necessarily be so next year and that handicap really showed in the Big Game. To me, for whatever reason, Collaros looks like he's routinely facing indecision in the first couple of seconds post-snap. Lot's of folks said he often looked like a deer in the headlights. Why? Because he's taking off to scramble too soon. Why is that happening? Because he's taking too long to process things. Just my opinion but Brown is the better QB right now because, after 3 years in this offence, he makes faster decisions and can put that football at high velocity exactly where it needs to go. 

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Yea that's a possibility for sure. However do you think Brown overtakes Collaros next year? I don't. Do you think he over takes ZC by year end 2025? Possible but I'd be willing to bet against it. Therefore, we keep our best QB right now....everytime and always. One year contracts make it a necessity in this league. We could keep Brown and end up taking him through his growing pains as a starter and he leaves anyway for all we know.

Agreed. If we get this year's Zac Collaros next year we will have the best QBing in the league still.

But no Cup.

7 hours ago, Stickem said:

Then watch Brown become a star somewhere else...(zacks words that he will be one) while Collaros game goes into natural decline

Yeah, Brown could become a star. Or he could become another Nick Arbuckle. Some of you have put Brown on some kind of a pedestal & worship his shadow. It's ridiculous. He has a handful of starts. What's Zach supposed to say? Brown's a bum??

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

But no Cup.

O'Shea won't get rid of Zach. 

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, Brown could become a star. Or he could become another Nick Arbuckle. Some of you have put Brown on some kind of a pedestal & worship his shadow. It's ridiculous. He has a handful of starts. What's Zach supposed to say? Brown's a bum??

People went gah gah over Michael Reilly when he had done less than brown as a backup. Brown has accomplished more than Arbuckle did too. Also did more than maier had done before the stamps gave him a role. 

Collaros is 35, he doesn't have that many years left. If Brown is as good as he's looked it's worth the conversation. 

Now it won't happen with this management group but we're a fan message board, it's a good conversation to happen.

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

People went gah gah over Michael Reilly when he had done less than brown as a backup. Brown has accomplished more than Arbuckle did too. Also did more than maier had done before the stamps gave him a role. 

Collaros is 35, he doesn't have that many years left. If Brown is as good as he's looked it's worth the conversation. 

Now it won't happen with this management group but we're a fan message board, it's a good conversation to happen.

I agree but what's frustrating for me & I'm sure everyone who cares about the Bombers is that this current managemnt & scouting team is about to broken up over a stupid cap. We know Mike will let Brown walk so the more we talk about it, the more pissed off as a fan I become. 

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I agree but what's frustrating for me & I'm sure everyone who cares about the Bombers is that this current managemnt & scouting team is about to broken up over a stupid cap. We know Mike will let Brown walk so the more we talk about it, the more pissed off as a fan I become. 

You could easily make the argument that the only reason we've kept these guys together for so long is because of the cap. Otherwise other franchises could offer a crazy amount to steal guys away. But no one has been able to do that, so for the most part they've stayed.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not really. Good teams have players/coaches etc poached all the time. The fact they've been able to keep people here for so long has been a bonus, but isn't something I think we should expect moving forward.

"Let Brown walk" as if it's only up to MOS? Brown wants his own team. The Bombers have too much cash tied up in Collaros to let him go. There's no real trade market for him. Again, this isn't a "they don't want to keep good talent!" So much as a good teams lose good players, just like they always have....in basically every sport.

Edited by Bigblue204

17 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Doubtful. We had mostly 2nd and short thanks to Oliveira - that kind of outstanding ground game makes things hugely easier for your QB. Less is required of him. One could argue BO's routine 6-9 yards gains masked Collaros's shortcomings. Collaros also benefitted from tossing to the best receiving crew in the CFL. That won't necessarily be so next year and that handicap really showed in the Big Game. To me, for whatever reason, Collaros looks like he's routinely facing indecision in the first couple of seconds post-snap. Lot's of folks said he often looked like a deer in the headlights. Why? Because he's taking off to scramble too soon. Why is that happening? Because he's taking too long to process things. Just my opinion but Brown is the better QB right now because, after 3 years in this offence, he makes faster decisions and can put that football at high velocity exactly where it needs to go. 

You honestly think that Dru Brown processes the game faster than Zac Collaros? You think he looks like a deer in the headlights? I'm not sure we are watching the same games.

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

O'Shea won't get rid of Zach. 

Brown is a good looking PROSPECTIVE starting QB. There is absolutely no way of knowing how he will respond to the next level of being a starter. None. Anyone who says that Dru Brown is better than Zac Collaros right now is just caught up in some kind of weird frenzy that happens with backup QBs sometimes. I don't think some people are appreciating the difference between being a starter and being a back up. Brown is a great back up, but is completely unproven as a starter. That's when DCs comb over film on you, and find your tendencies and weaknesses and close off your strengths and a QB must be able to counter that. We have seen one game where the opposition had time to prepare for Brown as the starter, and that was against Calgary. We won...but it was not a great performance by Brown and that gives me pause.

Edited by GCn20

12 hours ago, 17to85 said:

What has Brown done more than Arbuckle did in his first couple seasons? Arbuckle took over from BLM and went 7-0 or something like that in his first appearances. You are right, it is a discussion to be had for sure, nothing wrong with it. If we want to discuss Zac's age and whether he continues to be top level of for how long he remains top level, those are very debateable conversations worth having. Saying that Brown is better than Zac right now and that's why we should move on isn't really conversation worthy imo, it's just wishful thinking.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Nope. Mgmt all coming back.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Not really. Good teams have players/coaches etc poached all the time. The fact they've been able to keep people here for so long has been a bonus, but isn't something I think we should expect moving forward.

"Let Brown walk" as if it's only up to MOS? Brown wants his own team. The Bombers have too much cash tied up in Collaros to let him go. There's no real trade market for him. Again, this isn't a "they don't want to keep good talent!" So much as a good teams lose good players, just like they always have....in basically every sport.

For sure. Great teams don't throw the baby out with the bath water if it means losing a good player. I would be far more worried about Zac coming back to haunt us in the next couple years than Brown. Anyone who thinks that 7 other teams wouldn't be all over Zac are crazy. We have 3 and maybe 4 in our division right now that would likely take him in a heartbeat if they could fit him in their SMS. Imagine BC with Zac, they would be a juggernaut.

I really don't like the comments Oshea made in his season ending presser....how he thinks some his vets are still more than capable and sees no reason to move on from some...Big Red Flag in my eyes...and not a good forshadowing for 2024 at all...as it puts team even further behind in reloading and re-tooling for 2025

Either he's really playing sneaky buggers and not letting on...or he is as clueless and stubborn as many suspect, and still playing the favorites and favoring his guys....and I lean to the latter....if we go thru this same bs at start of season I hope Walters has it in him to play the heavy and be Osh's boss!

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

I really don't like the comments Oshea made in his season ending presser....how he thinks some his vets are still more than capable and sees no reason to move on from some...Big Red Flag in my eyes...and not a good forshadowing for 2024 at all...as it puts team even further behind in reloading and re-tooling for 2025

Either he's really playing sneaky buggers and not letting on...or he is as clueless and stubborn as many suspect, and still playing the favorites and favoring his guys....and I lean to the latter....if we go thru this same bs at start of season I hope Walters has it in him to play the heavy and be Osh's boss!

That is where the gm comes in and forces the issue and makes the hard choices. "Sorry Osh, didn't have the budget to keep these guys"

Just now, 17to85 said:

That is where the gm comes in and forces the issue and makes the hard choices. "Sorry Osh, didn't have the budget to keep these guys"

I would hope....and also the Gm and his Asst. Gm's should have a very detailed performance evaluation on guys as well....and that factors into the dead weight slicing and dicing....and not even give Osh the chance to roster aging and useless players....cause we all know he will if they are there for the taking

22 minutes ago, Booch said:

Pretty hilarious that you'd expect him to change his philosophy after 4 straight Grey Cup appearances. 

We will bring it back as much as we possibly can next year.