Call it what you want … you need to move on from Collaros

Mike

Brown has put up awesome numbers off the bench and in a couple starts. Why I wouldn't even consider the notion of releasing/trading Zac and letting Brown takeover comes down to this:

1. We have no idea whether Brown can handle the adversity and pressure of being the main man. Tons of QBs have fallen apart once they go from backup to starter.

2. There is no real need to do so, as Zac was still the best QB in the league last year and there is absolutely no reason to believe he couldn't be again.

The safe but also best bet is to roll with Zac. Wish Brown the best and let him know that we might be calling him someday in the future.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Yes,it is. Nichols came in when Willy got injured. Strev came in when Nichols got injured. Collaros came in when Strev got injured. 

We traded for Nichols in 2015 when Willy was injured, but Willy was still our starter in 2016 and was benched for performance after a 1-4 start.

Nichols obviously got injured, but I don't think we ever saw Strev as a starter as we were reportedly attempting to trade for Collaros that whole season before the shake-up in Toronto allowed us to get him at the deadline. And we never looked back once he got in. MOS called Zach into his office after the Grey Cup saying, "we need you here"; while we were all still having our Nichols vs Collaros debates. 

If you consider that we also tried to bring in Darian Durant as a back-up, not to mention trying to sign a young Collaros and an old Henry Burris before settling on Willy, QB is actually a position where this regime has been very proactive; despite message board posters bitching about MOS being loyal to a fault.   

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

We traded for Nichols in 2015 when Willy was injured, but Willy was still our starter in 2016 and was benched for performance after a 1-4 start.

Nichols obviously got injured, but I don't think we ever saw Strev as a starter as we were reportedly attempting to trade for Collaros that whole season before the shake-up in Toronto allowed us to get him at the deadline. And we never looked back once he got in. MOS called Zach into his office after the Grey Cup saying, "we need you here"; while we were all still having our Nichols vs Collaros debates. 

If you consider that we also tried to bring in Darian Durant as a back-up, not to mention trying to sign a young Collaros and an old Henry Burris before settling on Willy, QB is actually a position where this regime has been very proactive; despite message board posters bitching about MOS being loyal to a fault.   

They tried trading for Collaros but Strev was out starter. That's clear. They only went to Collaros when Strev went down. Collaros hadnt played in months. 

We have not been proactive with our QBs.  It's just next man up when starter goes down, despite the bitching about about posters on this board by some. 

Christ, Strev could barely walk and they were stilk sending him out. 

Edited by JCon

We tried to.bring in Durant as we really had nothing other than Willy....Strev wasn't even in the equation and was brought in to camp late...Nichols basically replaced Willy as he got ruined and was playing like crap...Strev replaced Nichols as a raw rookie to.start that yr as he was banged up...and he performed quite well all things considered as he was allowed to.run the normal offence...but once Lapp/Osh saw his knack for running gradually altered his packages to just gimmicky crap...tho effective started to.stunt his growth as a true QB

When/if he comes back you will see a world of difference...this notion he can't be a legit starter as he is limited passing is just straight up crap

44 minutes ago, Booch said:

We tried to.bring in Durant as we really had nothing other than Willy....Strev wasn't even in the equation and was brought in to camp late...Nichols basically replaced Willy as he got ruined and was playing like crap...Strev replaced Nichols as a raw rookie to.start that yr as he was banged up...and he performed quite well all things considered as he was allowed to.run the normal offence...but once Lapp/Osh saw his knack for running gradually altered his packages to just gimmicky crap...tho effective started to.stunt his growth as a true QB

When/if he comes back you will see a world of difference...this notion he can't be a legit starter as he is limited passing is just straight up crap

I believe a Strev/Brown combo would make us forget ZC in hurry. But I personally am not ready to move on from ZC.

Just now, Piggy 1 said:

I believe a Strev/Brown combo would make us forget ZC in hurry. But I personally am not ready to move on from ZC.

A Strev Brown combo would work real well actually....pay em both 300k...with start bonuses...and a few incentives.....Sign a rookie entry level guy for the 3rd string spot...would be a net savings overall.....And I'd run multiple combos and sets all game with both on the field at once...Strev in back field...TE...run option with both them....could really create a lot of havoc....Get in his ear now about a contract....and if you get it done you send ZC to the Hammer for their Bennett (or at least the rights to deal with him before FA)...Toss in Erlington an a pick an we forge on

All of this speculation is fun, but as somebody said upthread, there is zero chance Osh moves on from any of his vets that still want to play, let alone Collaros.

I have been thinking about it since last week, and I feel like there is a lot less risk with almost the same amount of potential upside if we tried out a new OC instead. I found the play calling really hit and miss this year, and maybe a coordinator with some fresh ideas could get Zach out of his funk (and utilize him better in the playoffs).

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

See my take is that Collaros is too focused on going downfield he doesn't use the shorter throws as effectively as he could. There's a balance to be had and I think collaros has fallen into the "huck it! Chuck it! Football!" Mentality

That is the mentality he has always had. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

It is true though...  I've seen talk online about whether Lapo would come back if Buck leaves, and I shudder at the thought....

The job would be his if he wants it imo. Despite what a lot of people think, he and Buck run very similar offensive systems (difference mainly is playcalling) and he has proven success here and familiarity.

Edited by GCn20

21 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Brown has put up awesome numbers off the bench and in a couple starts. Why I wouldn't even consider the notion of releasing/trading Zac and letting Brown takeover comes down to this:

1. We have no idea whether Brown can handle the adversity and pressure of being the main man. Tons of QBs have fallen apart once they go from backup to starter.

2. There is no real need to do so, as Zac was still the best QB in the league last year and there is absolutely no reason to believe he couldn't be again.

The safe but also best bet is to roll with Zac. Wish Brown the best and let him know that we might be calling him someday in the future.

1 we don’t know if Zach can. As I broke down his numbers in 9 bomber play off games are pitiful. 

2 he wasn’t though. He was in a glut of 3 guys that includes vaj and Kelly. Both of whom are much younger. If he regresses or either of them progress more he isn’t in the top tier next year. 

I think that’s far from the safe move. The only safe move would be to bring both back. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

A Strev Brown combo would work real well actually....pay em both 300k...with start bonuses...and a few incentives.....Sign a rookie entry level guy for the 3rd string spot...would be a net savings overall.....And I'd run multiple combos and sets all game with both on the field at once...Strev in back field...TE...run option with both them....could really create a lot of havoc....Get in his ear now about a contract....and if you get it done you send ZC to the Hammer for their Bennett (or at least the rights to deal with him before FA)...Toss in Erlington an a pick an we forge on

I bet you could get both for less than 600k total too. 
 The options with strevy are unlimited. 
Idk if ham would pony up given how his stint there ended. But I think ott would. 

39 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The job would be his if he wants it imo. Despite what a lot of people think, he and Buck run very similar offensive systems (difference mainly is playcalling) and he has proven success here and familiarity.

The difference being that playcalling is what Lapo sucks at! Which is why I don't want him back.