Call it what you want … you need to move on from Collaros

Mike

6 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Roster management is down on the list? We played Biggie and he clearly wasn't able to play. We could have dressed Rose in his place. Then when Parker got hurt, he goes in for him and maybe they don't get a TD to start the second half. Rose also could have replaced Houston. We played Schoen who was not healthy. Ambles likely helps contribute more. We used Jackson who is useless. Imagine having Fox or Habba instead? Related to this, with the extra DL on, you could sit Bennett and place Kelly who is excellent on kick coverage.

And with 2 backup OL on we have enough bodies for blocking packages, no real need for a fullback. 

The reason why i put more of the blame on the defence is simply based on the numbers. The Als gave up less than more than 23 points in 25% of the games they played this year. I believe all but one of those games were against Toronto, Winnipeg, and BC. 24 points is probably acceptable but not great for playing the Als. But Cody Fjarado previous best game all year was 292 yards 2 touchdowns and 0 interceptions or 281 3 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. Against us 290 3 touchdowns and 1 interception. Given is was the Grey Cup and he executed a touchdown drive to win the game on the final drive I think you could say the bombers allowed him to have his best performance of the season. 

38 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

If not for Brady O dragging the offense along this year there would be a LOT more talk about collaros problems this year.

But Zach was the best QB in the league this year.    

The guy *can* be fantastic but yikes late season he really was playing at a significantly lower level then he was playing earlier in the season.     

13 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Last week the big argument was that Collaros was the best QB in the league by far so Kelly shouldn't get the MOP. Now folks want to fire the man? 

It’s a little more nuanced than that. I don’t want to see the club hamstring itself paying 600k to a quarterback who doesn’t play well in the fall. 
I don’t want to see a repeat of Dunnigan/Danny Mac and that’s what this is starting to look like. 

It's hard to pick who to blame, which complicates things. I agree with those who are zoning on the defense here because they had a chance to finish the game. That being said we had the ball within the 3 minute warning and we just needed a couple first downs to win the championship. Maybe that's what makes the loss hurt all the more, so many blown opportunities

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

All year collaros has been underthrowing deep balls. He had 2 easy touchdowns if he leads his receivers.  Instead one was an interception and another knocked away. 

He doesn't handle pressure in the pocket well anymore either. He ran himself into several sacks. Guy has been figured out at this point. If not for Brady dragging this team along it would have been obvious earlier.

Not just this year. He's consistently under thrown deep balls since 2019. It just was never a problem until this year.

He also seemed to force things waaaay more this year. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But that int into the endzone is a prime example...credit to the db for a hell of a play. But Demski is the easier throw and likely scores on that play. Collars has been and will always be a gun slinger, eventually you run out of bullets.

Edited by Bigblue204

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Not just this year. He's consistently under thrown deep balls since 2019. It just was never a problem until this year.

Consider Zach's body position when releasing the ball, he's rarely firmly planted and in many cases he's off-kilter, on the run or airborne, relying on pure arm strength over good throwing technique. 

52 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Last week the big argument was that Collaros was the best QB in the league by far so Kelly shouldn't get the MOP. Now folks want to fire the man? 

if you also paid attention some of us have said for a while now that Collaros being the best qb in the league is more an indictment of the quality of quarterbacking around the league than it is a true mark in Collaros favour. 

Guy can play and win a lot of games, but 3 straight duds in Grey Cups (one an all time defence bailed him out) and a lot of cracks showing up this year means that, to me at least, a $600K on the wrong side of 35 may not be the best investment anymore. If he's going to get happy feet any time he senses pressure even more so. 

So it's less of was he the best qb this year, and more will he continue to be? 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

if you also paid attention some of us have said for a while now that Collaros being the best qb in the league is more an indictment of the quality of quarterbacking around the league than it is a true mark in Collaros favour. 

Guy can play and win a lot of games, but 3 straight duds in Grey Cups (one an all time defence bailed him out) and a lot of cracks showing up this year means that, to me at least, a $600K on the wrong side of 35 may not be the best investment anymore. If he's going to get happy feet any time he senses pressure even more so. 

Best QB in the league is best QB in the league no matter the level of competition. 

Collaros has been the best QB in the league for 3 years + a playoffs. Rourke was his only serious competition during that run. You seriously want to can the man because he may not be the best QB in the league next year? I'm glad you're not making the decisions. 

33 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

He also seemed to force things waaaay more this year. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But that int into the endzone is a prime example...credit to the db for a hell of a play. But Demski is the easier throw and likely scores on that play. Collars has been and will always be a gun slinger, eventually you run out of bullets.

That Ento kid just killed us.  Heck of a player.

6 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Here we go running QBs out of town again. 

The defence cost us this game. Parker in particular was terrible. We had them in 2nd and 18 that should have been lights out. 

When Fajardo took off on that 2nd and 18 I had total 2022 GC flashbacks.

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Hopefully Zach isn't succumbing to mental deterioration from all the hits he's taken to his head over his career, like Mike Reilly who gave up a $500k job to become a fireman.  Zach has looked more emotional this season and less detached than in previous years.    

22 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

The defence cost us this game. Parker in particular was terrible. We had them in 2nd and 18 that should have been lights out. 

Our offense could have driven the ball when we had it at midfield with 3 minutes left. They couldn't, but Fajardo and the Als did. Both sides are to blame.

1 minute ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

On our last drive to kill the clock... on second and long, I was screaming at the TV to run the ******* ball.. but no.. go back to pass and sac... 

At that point they really should have imposed their will on the Als and just run it. 

yup no idea why they didn't run on that play.  Even if you get within two yards you know Prukop is going to get the first down.  He was getting three yards on every sneak all night.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

There was nothing wrong with the oline this yr really.....ZC was more an issue behind it than anything...why...thats the question...is he physically wearing down?...Is he not seeing things fast enough now and processing it how he used to?...Is he become too focused on the big play?......it's something, but it also came right out of nowhere

That being said....Eli needs to be the centre next yr...he is better...plain and simple, and also signed thru 2025...he is the future and the now...Not Kolo.....Dobson needs to play but is at at the expense of Gray...Or Neuf?...Neuf arguably was our best guy all yr, and back to back all-star selections kind of validate that.

I think we should see if Dobson can be that guard, and we keep Gray as the 6th/extra guy, as he can back up at all positions....as well as use him in that role Jackson had...He did it several games when we didnt dress Jackson, and thats his job and role as a player and what he has done his whole football career...move bodies and block, and he's more than athletic enough...he's prob our most consistent lineman downfield on runs next to Yosh...banging bodies and created havoc....plus he irritates the heck out of defensive guys....If we choose to keep rostering 7 oline guys...which I think can be a bit excessive then I'd like to see a young guy be developed....

D-line as well....nothing wrong with the Jeff's and neither is close to being aged out...just look around the league for last decade or so...an End can be very effective well into 30]s with...and this is key...proper and adequate rotation...But we also need a monster inside again to really make it work....and have adequate rotation there...like when we rolled Nevis and Stove with the Jeffs, and Hansen and Kongbo and Thomas when he was fairly effective....3 yrs ago...he should have been sent packing last yr already and no way in hell he should be back next yr

My belief is that Zac's been looking for the home run ball too often this year.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

it's wild to me that there are people in the league who think Kola is a great C, and that leads me to believe we could actually get assets for something that most of us believe is the most replaceable player on the OL, with Eli ready to be so much better next year. 

He's a potential free agent IIRC.

35 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Brandon Alexander went for the big hit twice and whiffed. If he wraps up it ends the drive. Also Wilson was whiffing on tackles. On Stanbacks TD he missed him at the LOS.

13 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

On our last drive to kill the clock... on second and long, I was screaming at the TV to run the ******* ball.. but no.. go back to pass and sac... 

At that point they really should have imposed their will on the Als and just run it. 

Totally agree. 1st and goal from the 8..I like our chances running.

41 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

You seriously want to can the man because he may not be the best QB in the league next year?

I didn't notice any difference in the offense with Brown running it vs. Collaros, and in some cases he ran it better (vs. Edmonton for example)

at 35 going on 36 Collaros is not a sure bet to maintain his play which is already slipping. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

I didn't notice any difference in the offense with Brown running it vs. Collaros, and in some cases he ran it better (vs. Edmonton for example)

at 35 going on 36 Collaros is not a sure bet to maintain his play which is already slipping. 

No..he's not but him playing well is money in the bank. We don't know for sure what Brown is as it's a small sample size...encouraging one, but nonetheless small.

7 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

My belief is that Zac's been looking for the home run ball too often this year.

That's been part of our offence since he arrived. With the receivers we have it makes sense. Receivers like Schoen, Lawler and Demski live off of that. I have no problem with that. However I have some issues about the play selection inside the red zone. The int was a good example of a very long pass from the 10 yard line that was slow developing.?

It was also a very good play by the Als DB. So need to give some credit for their coverage.

8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Also Wilson was whiffing on tackles. On Stanbacks TD he missed him at the LOS.

he got blocked at the LOS, it was houston had a shot at the tackle and whiffed. 

46 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

hey I posted earlier in the season asking if the time was right to move Collaros out to go with Brown. So it's not a knee jerk to this one game.