CFL Award Nominee Finalists

bluto

If he was an Import back....I think they would have excluded him...Being a Canadian...with the 2nd best all time yardage total...I believe many see the reasoning an will get it correct

That being said...even if he was an American, he has the better, more impact and consistent season regardless, and if snubbed that be pretty sad

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

so FWIW, both Dave Naylor and Marshall Ferguson have publicly said Brady O should win the MOP over Chad Kelly. Not sure if that means anything, but it's interesting that there is some national media sentiment in Brady's favour, which is surprising to me.... maybe there's a chance they actually get this right? 

I wasn't sure who posted it but there was some discussion involving Bob Irving, Duane Forde and others who noted that there's a concerted effort to brand Kelly the face of the CFL and in doing so, it might influence voting. 

It rubbed me the wrong way.

Don't get me wrong, anything that can be done (within reason) to create hype  in markets that are struggling I'm all for it.  It's why when some around here were griping about how TSN was focusing on BC's new owner so much that I took the exact opposite tact.  We need invested owners like that.  It helps create an invested fanbase.  That said, don't snub a guy simply to fit an agenda - that's just wrong.  Brady has EARNED both the MOP and MOC this season.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I think Nichols had more...he did at one point...not to poo poo on all hour Holm luvin but no way he should be ahead of Nichols considering his physicality and ability to run stuff better and tackle.

The dense media in Canada just ran and slurped up Osh's early in the season quick feet yip yappin

Nichols actually finished the year with one more knockdown than Holm (12 to 11, both just behind Willie Jefferson’s league-leading 13). Where Holm statistically outshone Nichols was tackles (68 - second only to Biggie on the team, to 37), sacks (2 to 0) and INTs (2 to 0). 

I suspect some of the difference in stats is due to how often each was targeted in the pass game (I can’t find those stats) and it is likely teams were more hesitant to test Nichols. As for physicality and tackling, Holm may not be everyone’s cup of tea because he can’t break a receiver’s spine like a BA used to, but I found his closing speed on receivers pretty good in coverage, and he looked to me like a pretty sure  and sound fundamental tackler, even if not laying the lumber. And yes he missed a few, as anyone does. But I think of his sack against Tre Ford as a solid example of his discipline, fundamentally good knowledge of his angles, and sound tackling ability. Seeing how much escapability Ford has displayed, given that Holm quickly wrapped him up on an open field tackle was quite impressive. 

20 minutes ago, Bombertown said:

QBs don’t throw in nichols direction out of fear, so he doesn’t have the stats. The voting is primarily based on stats. I think he should have been MODP. 

It still should have been Nichols and Holm for western HB. Lee over either of them is crazy. 

DB clamps down = limited fanfare but very high production. 

37 minutes ago, Bombertown said:

QBs don’t throw in nichols direction out of fear, so he doesn’t have the stats. The voting is primarily based on stats. I think he should have been MODP. 

It still should have been Nichols and Holm for western HB. Lee over either of them is crazy. 

I’ll add that Houston’s inclusion makes this abundantly clear. 

What do you guys think of Cameron Judge not being named to the Western Division All Star team at OLB? He had 90 plus tackles, 5 interceptions with 1 pick six, 2 fumble recoveries, 2 forced fumbled & 2 sacks. Yet he never made it so to me that makes no sense.

Judge is a player who plays on the edge & can be dirty at times. However, the talent can't be denied. It was an obvious snub. Was it his style of play that kept him off the team? If so, then what about Michael Awe? Or were his tackle numbers so impressive that there's no way he could have been kept off the team?? Judge should have been on the West All Stars & not Sean McEwen. Sean ******* McEwen???? WTF?? 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What do you guys think of Cameron Judge not being named to the Western Division All Star team at OLB? He had 90 plus tackles, 5 interceptions with 1 pick six, 2 fumble recoveries, 2 forced fumbled & 2 sacks. Yet he never made it so to me that makes no sense.

Judge is a player who plays on the edge & can be dirty at times. However, the talent can't be denied. It was an obvious snub. Was it his style of play that kept him off the team? If so, then what about Michael Awe? Or were his tackle numbers so impressive that there's no way he could have been kept off the team?? Judge should have been on the West All Stars & not Sean McEwen. Sean ******* McEwen???? WTF?? 

Judge is an excellent LB and definitely should have been in the running for an all star spot.  I would take him on my team before Awe every day of the week.  I don't feel like he does the dirty, after the whistle stuff like Awe does.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Nichols actually finished the year with one more knockdown than Holm (12 to 11, both just behind Willie Jefferson’s league-leading 13). Where Holm statistically outshone Nichols was tackles (68 - second only to Biggie on the team, to 37), sacks (2 to 0) and INTs (2 to 0). 

I suspect some of the difference in stats is due to how often each was targeted in the pass game (I can’t find those stats) and it is likely teams were more hesitant to test Nichols. As for physicality and tackling, Holm may not be everyone’s cup of tea because he can’t break a receiver’s spine like a BA used to, but I found his closing speed on receivers pretty good in coverage, and he looked to me like a pretty sure  and sound fundamental tackler, even if not laying the lumber. And yes he missed a few, as anyone does. But I think of his sack against Tre Ford as a solid example of his discipline, fundamentally good knowledge of his angles, and sound tackling ability. Seeing how much escapability Ford has displayed, given that Holm quickly wrapped him up on an open field tackle was quite impressive. 

QB's eyes light up when they see a skinny white kid in the secondary.

2 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

I wasn't sure who posted it but there was some discussion involving Bob Irving, Duane Forde and others who noted that there's a concerted effort to brand Kelly the face of the CFL and in doing so, it might influence voting. 

It rubbed me the wrong way.

Don't get me wrong, anything that can be done (within reason) to create hype  in markets that are struggling I'm all for it.  It's why when some around here were griping about how TSN was focusing on BC's new owner so much that I took the exact opposite tact.  We need invested owners like that.  It helps create an invested fanbase.  That said, don't snub a guy simply to fit an agenda - that's just wrong.  Brady has EARNED both the MOP and MOC this season.

Yup especially your last sentence and in his spare time he saves dogs. Add an award for that BO gets himself a trifecta.

1 hour ago, Sard said:

Judge is an excellent LB and definitely should have been in the running for an all star spot.  I would take him on my team before Awe every day of the week.  I don't feel like he does the dirty, after the whistle stuff like Awe does.

Lucky Whitehead disagrees with you.

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'd have taken Judge over Awe.

43 minutes ago, Sard said:

I must have missed that one, what did he do to Lucky? 

Punched him in the face after a game last season. Led to a locker room confrontation for both teams and Judge got suspended for a game because of it.

https://3downnation.com/2022/09/17/lions-stampeders-involved-in-post-game-altercation-after-cam-judge-allegedly-sucker-punches-lucky-whitehead/

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why do you think Judge was denied an all star spot? 

To make room for Larry Dean.

4 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Punched him in the face after a game last season. Led to a locker room confrontation for both teams and Judge got suspended for a game because of it.

https://3downnation.com/2022/09/17/lions-stampeders-involved-in-post-game-altercation-after-cam-judge-allegedly-sucker-punches-lucky-whitehead/

Who's crazier, Awe or the guy that shows up to fight him wearing a propeller beanie?

18 hours ago, Bombertown said:

QBs don’t throw in nichols direction out of fear, so he doesn’t have the stats. The voting is primarily based on stats. I think he should have been MODP

Agree. 
There was a case for Nichols as MODP last year as well. 
DHB is the most overlooked position in football, and probably one of the hardest to play well at consistently. 
Usually when you see a shutdown DB like that, it’s a corner. To dominate 3 seasons in a row like that at half is bleu rare. 

13 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I forgot about that incident and didn't realize it was Judge.

I don't know what precipitated it and I wouldn't want to excuse it in any way.  I would say though that it appears to have been a one time thing with Judge, versus Awe doing his shenanigans game in and game out.  One of the most egregious things that he does that really bothers me is when a team is taking a knee, he runs in hard as if he's going to try and get a sack on the QB which I think is totally uncalled for.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023-11-04 at 11:14 AM, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Iirc, he's was injured in two of the games played against us.

We knocked him out of the one game...Well BA did....and the other he didnt do much...last game he didnt start, but when he replaced Hatcher he was ok...but not a game changer

That being said....I think he disgruntled there and for right price would like to see him back in Mcrea's role....or let them battle it out and best guy stays