Week (7) of E(l)ks at Bombers

JCon

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Maybe, but other teams have nowhere near the same issue so why would our prospects be declining and other prospects wouldn’t be?

The use of our practice roster has been problematic for two years now. Who’s the last American player to start on the PR for us and earn his way into the lineup?

Agudosi and Clements

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

What games have we lost because of roster management? I agree with your premise that opinions shouldn't be automatically **** on, but I see no proof that your's is correct yet. At the one third point of the season, yes Toronto appears to be a better team...although we haven't played them yet and I see nothing to suggest roster management has cost us a game? 

I'm not defending the roster management at all, as it could be better. However, my eyeballs have seen other reasons for our two losses. One of them, and I'm surprised you haven't mentioned this todaso, being some of our vets not playing well.

I mean, obviously we can’t draw an exact line between roster decisions and losses but Jesse Briggs seeing his way onto the field and blowing tackle after tackle on the final drive in regulation for Ottawa last week is a fairly safe line to draw.

Does having a better option in the lineup win us that game? Obviously impossible to say but it likely would’ve given us a better chance to win. 

4 minutes ago, bustamente said:

I don't think ZC will have any problems finding open receivers tonight as long as he is upright, but I hope that Buck doesn't get to pass happy and forget running the ball. 

IF our O Line can't keep this Ceressna guy off of Zack we could be in a lot of hot water.....Tends to be a dirty player at times....We need our guys to play flawless and let Zack and our excellent receiving corps take care of the rest......Only have to score one more than the opposition to pick up the 2 pts.

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

I remember when people called me dumb for saying the Argos would be a better team than us this year.

I remember when people also called me dumb because I said O’Shea’s roster management was going to cost us games this year.

Maybe people should stop calling opinions dumb just because they don’t like hearing them. 

2 dummies here apparently

3 minutes ago, ddanger said:

I really think we need to take a breath and calm down. We are still missing a couple of players on D due to injuries, and it looks to me like changes will be happening after the bye week on the injury front.

I don't know the exact number, but practice roster players are making VERY little money, and it certainly stands to reason that guys will decline a spot and get released rather than staying.

Practice roster players have a minimum you can pay them....but u can also pay them more...and many get more....and to dress a DA fullback...when u didn't even dres or designate a FB on the previous depth chart...when you lost a productive rotational piece (Haba)..and fail to roster another guy who could help...alot (Fox)....Lost your athletic WIL (Clements) And refuse to start your most athletic LB on your roster (Cole) in lieu of a global...no knock on Mauro but he's not the best option...then yeah...that there alone is somewhat a cause for concern on what the HC is doing with his roster....you can't deny it

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Agudosi and Clements

Clements was on active roster pretty much from time we picked him up....and was a starter in Edm...so that is a moot example...Agudosi has had 2 yrs of injury time for the most part...and when he did get to play due to the Lawler thing...was targeted 12 times in 4 games...then sat...than added to roster and saw 2 snaps...another mismanagement of an asset

2 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Greg McCrae

one example doesnt make things all right and rosey

All there really is to say about the roster management is this: if you took the names out of the equation and just explained the decisions (“dressing an American fullback”, “having no backup import edge rusher”, “not using the new DA rule out of stubbornness”, etc), tell people Chris Jones is the one doing it and all they would be talking about is how stupid he is

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Clements was on active roster pretty much from time we picked him up....and was a starter in Edm...so that is a moot example...Agudosi has had 2 yrs of injury time for the most part...and when he did get to play due to the Lawler thing...was targeted 12 times in 4 games...then sat...than added to roster and saw 2 snaps...another mismanagement of an asset

one example doesnt make things all right and rosey

Was just answering a question, I don't think it was supposed to fix your day

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

All there really is to say about the roster management is this: if you took the names out of the equation and just explained the decisions (“dressing an American fullback”, “having no backup import edge rusher”, “not using the new DA rule out of stubbornness”, etc), tell people Chris Jones is the one doing it and all they would be talking about is how stupid he is

Exactly. And I don't get moving away from a platoon of DL's. BC starts 9. We start 6, 3 who probably shouldn't be on the active roster. I thought this was pretty much a rule now in Canadian football for success. DL's run way more in the Canadian game, hence you need to sub them out, keep them fresh. The Jeff's are completely gassed by the end of a game. It's crazy to me. Seems like roster management 101. 

there is no reason that Thomas..Sterling...should have been dumped without time to develop on the PR for the ist 3rd of the season, and if they dont suit the need....then you replace and add new blood...especially when we had a guy Jeffcoat who was iffy to start the season....and no depth behind Walker...at all....when he was hardly a proven entity

Thank good tho we had 2 import tackles...and 3 globals...2 of which Machino and The punter who will never see a role here other than a courtesy start at end of season when the standings are set and win/loss wont matter...

How anyone who doesn't see the poor use of the PR they obviously arent looking at things as a whole....we are starting 6 lineman on defence...2 of whom suck...badly against prob one of the better running QB's in the league...you dont think that may not get into play and be  factor after they are chasing him around all game with no real rotational guys available to use?...I sure do...and we saw it in Ottawa...that was a key reason that we got torched in 4th quarter...factor in the none use of Cole after Clements went down for slow as **** Briggs as he was chasing guys around aimlessly....if your backup LB on teams in the staffs opinion isnt adequate enough to step in...then why roster him?....and as Osh says...they all 1st teamers....so why not pull Briggs and try someone else when he was failing so bad?....and dont say it's cause he pulls duty on teams...cause so does Briggs

Edited by Booch

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

I mean, obviously we can’t draw an exact line between roster decisions and losses but Jesse Briggs seeing his way onto the field and blowing tackle after tackle on the final drive in regulation for Ottawa last week is a fairly safe line to draw.

Does having a better option in the lineup win us that game? Obviously impossible to say but it likely would’ve given us a better chance to win. 

On the other hand the offense stays on the field it's not a problem.... it's not roster issues when collaros has a pass intercepted, or Oliveira fumbles or schoen drops one right in his bread basket.

I get the frustration I really do. They're making it harder on themselves, but at this point the roster decisions haven't really cost them.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

exactly!...Or if it was the Riders

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

I remember when people called me dumb for saying the Argos would be a better team than us this year.

I remember when people also called me dumb because I said O’Shea’s roster management was going to cost us games this year.

Maybe people should stop calling opinions dumb just because they don’t like hearing them. 

Our roster management has cost this team exactly zero losses. There's literally no proof otherwise. We've had the same roster for wins and the losses. Execution and play calling is what has cost this team.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

On the other hand the offense stays on the field it's not a problem.... it's not roster issues when collaros has a pass intercepted, or Oliveira fumbles or schoen drops one right in his bread basket.

I get the frustration I really do. They're making it harder on themselves, but at this point the roster decisions haven't really cost them.

and there is also the rub...Interior of the oline was not getting it done...u have 2 pile moving monster in Eli and Dobson...yet u just keep banging your head against the wall failibng as your QB takes shot...after shot....where is the in-game adustment?...why dress guys if you dont use them...You could use dline guys on the line for short yardage...they dont have to be Olineman....other teams do it...we dont

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Our roster management has cost this team exactly zero losses. There's literally no proof otherwise. We've had the same roster for wins and the losses. Execution and play calling is what has cost this team.

you are blind then....and u cant pinpouint it to specific plays...tho in this case u can in many

I just have to say this...who in the CFL burns a DA on a FB....and who here wouldnt laugh their arses off and mock said team for doing so...think about that...especially when u take a look at our current front 7 this game on defense...let that absorb in your thick skulls a minute

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Poor play has definitely been the main factor. I think delaying change on the OL is now into “poor roster management” territory. We have guys there to sub in - they aren’t pulling the trigger. 

This week- with this LB group, I’m not sure why we wouldn’t put Cole in.  Hopefully Mauro plays great - I’m not anti-Mauro, but I hope this is because Mauro is clearly better at this point. We have seen players who look like they should be great and don’t flash when given a chance. 

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

and there is also the rub...Interior of the oline was not getting it done...u have 2 pile moving monster in Eli and Dobson...yet u just keep banging your head against the wall failibng as your QB takes shot...after shot....where is the in-game adustment?...why dress guys if you dont use them...You could use dline guys on the line for short yardage...they dont have to be Olineman....other teams do it...we dont

you are blind then....and u cant pinpouint it to specific plays...tho in this case u can in many

I just have to say this...who in the CFL burns a DA on a FB....and who here wouldnt laugh their arses off and mock said team for doing so...think about that...especially when u take a look at our current front 7 this game on defense...let that absorb in your thick skulls a minute

How did our roster management stop Bryant from blocking Betts. How did our roster management tell Hall to continue using a blitz scheme that a rookie QB beat for 20+ minutes? How did our roster management make Schoen drop a ball he catches 99 times out of 100? How did our roster management force Buck to run the same play twice in a row after it hadn't worked all night?

Like wise, how did our roster management make us score 24 straight points to come back and beat the stamps? How did our roster management make us put up 21 first Q points against Hammy?

There hasn't been much turn over and you guys love to talk about losing games as if some PR player was on the squad it would have made the difference in either of the losses and that's straight up BS. We lost because of shitty game plans and lack of execution. You can have an all star squad (like we do) and you're gonna lose more than you win if that's what happens day in and day out. 

This team is 4 and 2. Not 2 and 4. I'm not happy about what's gone on this week, but I'm not hoping for a ******* loss either.

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

Poor play has definitely been the main factor. I think delaying change on the OL is now into “poor roster management” territory. We have guys there to sub in - they aren’t pulling the trigger. 

This week- with this LB group, I’m not sure why we wouldn’t put Cole in.  Hopefully Mauro plays great - I’m not anti-Mauro, but I hope this is because Mauro is clearly better at this point. We have seen players who look like they should be great and don’t flash when given a chance. 

I agree on the OL NOW. But before BC they were still the talk of the town. Against OTT there was concerns building that I think should be addressed now. But again, I don't see how anyone can seriously put the roster management as the main reason for either loss this year. That's trying to be the smartest guy in the room imo.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

How did our roster management stop Bryant from blocking Betts. How did our roster management tell Hall to continue using a blitz scheme that a rookie QB beat for 20+ minutes? How did our roster management make Schoen drop a ball he catches 99 times out of 100? How did our roster management force Buck to run the same play twice in a row after it hadn't worked all night?

Like wise, how did our roster management make us score 24 straight points to come back and beat the stamps? How did our roster management make us put up 21 first Q points against Hammy?

There hasn't been much turn over and you guys love to talk about losing games as if some PR player was on the squad it would have made the difference in either of the losses and that's straight up BS. We lost because of shitty game plans and lack of execution. You can have an all star squad (like we do) and you're gonna lose more than you win if that's what happens day in and day out. 

This team is 4 and 2. Not 2 and 4. I'm not happy about what's gone on this week, but I'm not hoping for a ******* loss either.

I agree on the OL NOW. But before BC they were still the talk of the town. Against OTT there was concerns building that I think should be addressed now. But again, I don't see how anyone can seriously put the roster management as the main reason for either loss this year. That's trying to be the smartest guy in the room imo.

keepm sucking on the kool aide...u just dont get it...so move on to a new topic

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

Not defending the roster management, just not seeing it as a reason we have lost 2 games this year. Could it still be a factor? Sure.

25 minutes ago, Booch said:

Not buying into the interior OL is bad line of thought. They have had their bad moments, but are still miles better than most of the league. Could they be better? Sure could. I, also, agree that Dobson and Eli may improve things. However, you as well as anyone knows, that the time to make these kind of changes is over the bye week, not on a short week. I mean people are seriously going to suggest that not changing up 40% of our OL on a short week is roster mismanagement? Just the opposite. It would be monumentally stupid to do so this week.

28 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The Ottawa tying and winning drives were pretty solid proof.  Our D has no depth at all.

Think of all the games you've seen that core group of guys play.  Have you ever seen them unable to even put forward effort for another down?

34 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Greg McCrea can rotate in and out with Brady freely since he is not a DA right?

Will depend on how they declare the roster.  To me looks like they are declaring 5 Canadians on O and 2 on D.  So as long as 5 Canadians are on the field for O McCrae can come out (on the depth chart 6 Canadians are listed as "starters").

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The Ottawa tying and winning drives were pretty solid proof.  Our D has no depth at all.

Think of all the games you've seen that core group of guys play.  Have you ever seen them unable to even put forward effort for another down?

I agree to some extent with this. However, I still don't think it's a factor in the loss. A pick 6, and Schoen not dropping 6 points were far larger factors and I didn't see a team that was winded so much as a team that was surprised and dumbfounded to be in that situation.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

I agree to some extent with this. However, I still don't think it's a factor in the loss. A pick 6, and Schoen not dropping 6 points were far larger factors.

It all adds up to a loss.  Giving up points are the biggest factors in losing always.  Offense does play a part in that too.

As an organization it's important to know that we don't have a "bail us out" D anymore.  Our roster isn't structured that way and our team is no longer capable of playing that way.  The O needs to take the reins.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules