Bombers at Ottawa

Jpan85

Agudosi ready to turn on the jets

Blue receiver will start in Ottawa Saturday

By: Jeff HamiltonPosted: 6:14 PM CDT Thursday, Jul. 13, 2023

Football is often referred to as a game of inches. It is also a game of numbers.

When it comes to the numbers game, perhaps no one on the Winnipeg Blue Bombers knows it better than receiver Carlton Agudosi, now in his third year with the Blue and Gold.

For the last two weeks, Agudosi has been the odd man out, a healthy scratch because although the Bombers like what he brings to the table, there just aren’t enough roster spots to go around.

Agudosi’s patience has paid off, as he’ll play against the Ottawa Redblacks on Saturday. An injury to Janarion Grant has cleared the way and Agudosi understands he needs to make the most of his opportunity.

“I just want to go out there and make plays when the ball comes to me,” he said. “If it doesn’t come to me, still be sound on my assignments and a physical presence out there. I want to be somebody the team can rely on.”

Agudosi is eager to go having missed so much playing time lately.

“As a competitor, you always want to be out there with your guys, especially after I missed time last year,” Agudosi told the Free Press following Thursday’s closed practice.

“I understand how valuable each game is and that nothing is promised. But at the same time, you just have to stay focused, not get too high or too low, understanding it’s a situation you have to reflect on and find ways to get better.”

Agudosi first signed with the Bombers on April 30, 2021, spending his first season on the practice roster. He was assigned there again at the start of 2022, but made a spectacular CFL debut in Week 6, hauling in two touchdowns in a 26-19 victory over the Calgary Stampeders.

Everything seemed headed in the right direction, only for Agudosi to suffer a season-ending ankle injury the next game. He returned this season as a projected starter. But after some underwhelming performances through the first three games, the Bombers started to look elsewhere.

“During the last couple weeks I’ve been doing my best to get the defence prepared, playing scout team the best I can, to give the DBs those looks so they can make plays,” said Agudosi, who has nine catches for 120 yards this season. “From top to bottom, we’re all on the same page as far as being ready and being prepared. That’s the most important thing and there’s a standard here, so you just want to make sure you hold that standard to the highest form.”

Agudosi has kept his spirits high throughout the process of working his way back into the lineup. It helps he was added to the one-game injured list rather than being assigned to the practice roster. That means he gets paid his full salary while the Bombers add it to their collective salary cap.

Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea has been pleased with how Agudosi has been conducting himself, understanding the challenges that come with feeling like you’re on the outside looking in. O’Shea said the team, notably the players, ensure there’s a positive environment within the locker room and people are treated and respected equally.

Whether you’re on the PR or active roster, you learn the same materials and go through the same schedule, with the expectations also the same for everyone. Still, it’s not always easy, with the pay being less on the PR and the desire to play sometimes being overwhelming.

“(Agudosi) has handled it like most guys do — very professionally,” O’Shea said. “You give them that short window of time where they overthink everything, and you just leave them alone. You have that initial conversation, give them that short window of time and they bounce out of it very quickly. There hasn’t been too many guys that you have to go and say, ‘Hey, listen, let’s go. Pick it up.’”

He added: “You certainly have to give them a grace period because it’s a gut punch. But I would say they quickly look around and realize that they’re in a good spot.”

Jeff.Hamilton@freepress.mb.ca

And no nationalized American use at all.

Such an opportunity missed on the DL.  All they’d have to do is play Haba on the first snap of the game and designate Jeffcoat.  Then say Thomas or Lawson go down in game you don’t have to play the other guy every single snap the rest of the way.

39 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

And no nationalized American use at all.

Such an opportunity missed on the DL.  All they’d have to do is play Haba on the first snap of the game and designate Jeffcoat.  Then say Thomas or Lawson go down in game you don’t have to play the other guy every single snap the rest of the way.

Are there teams that are really using it to their advantage right now? 

How are they using it?

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I wonder if they're waiting until next week to take advantage of the 6 Game Injured List savings?

My wishful thinking - take advantage of those cap savings, and trade for Desjarlais in or around the deadline. The Lawler suspension as well I'm sure has given management more cap freedom than they were expecting to have for when the stretch run arrives.

33 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

How are they using it?

Exactly how I outlined in the post.  Say they designated Jeffcoat as the American (has to be a vet) and Lawson/Thomas as the Canadians.  They could play 22 snaps a game with 4 American DL on the field, or they could sub Jeffcoat in for Thomas/Lawson and Cole in for Haba to have 3 import LB's on the field for some of those snaps behind Jeffcoat, Walker, Jefferson in a 30 front.

Even if they didn't want to "use it" having it set up to use in case of injury would be worthwhile IMO.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

My wishful thinking - take advantage of those cap savings, and trade for Desjarlais in or around the deadline. The Lawler suspension as well I'm sure has given management more cap freedom than they were expecting to have for when the stretch run arrives.

Because Ottawa has no use for Desjarlais in 2024.

39 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

How are they using it?

I heard mention that Sask. was using the new rules to their advantage to roster both their Import RB's in an earlier game, but nobody is taking note of it anymore and it's not even a topic of discussion.  

19 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Exactly how I outlined in the post.  Say they designated Jeffcoat as the American (has to be a vet) and Lawson/Thomas as the Canadians.  They could play 22 snaps a game with 4 American DL on the field, or they could sub Jeffcoat in for Thomas/Lawson and Cole in for Haba to have 3 import LB's on the field for some of those snaps behind Jeffcoat, Walker, Jefferson in a 30 front.

Even if they didn't want to "use it" having it set up to use in case of injury would be worthwhile IMO.

Because Ottawa has no use for Desjarlais in 2024.

Sure - but how are other teams using it right now? 

Something so glaringly obvious must mean teams are using it to their advantage all over. 

I remember Carey being a backup going into week 1 and that’s about all that really made news. 

8 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I heard mention that Sask. was using the new rules to their advantage to roster both their Import RB's in an earlier game, but nobody is taking note of it anymore and it's not even a topic of discussion.  

They were doing that last year - so I’d be interested to see what changes they made using the new rule to do this. 

Edited by Geebrr

8 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Sure - but how are other teams using it right now? 

Something so glaringly obvious must mean teams are using it to their advantage all over. 

I remember Carey being a backup going into week 1 and that’s about all that really made made news. 

They were doing that last year - so I’d be interested to see what changes they made using the new rule to do this. 

The difference is you sub the American running back in for the Canadian receiver you designated and not an American.

That's how teams are using it on both sides of the ball.  It's a DI that can sub for designated Canadians.  Because it has to be a vet the guys are usually starters but there's no restriction on them subbing in for other Americans so functionally you wouldn't notice Jeffcoat sitting around waiting for his 22 snaps, he'd sub in for Haba every play of the game if they wanted.

Even as a team that doesn't function in the sense of Americans are inherently better than Canadians...the Bombers...most teams are glaringly opposite...it makes sense to use this designation on one guy on both sides of the ball if possible (Bailey would be the only real option for us on O right now) to give way more roster flexibility if you end up needing it due to in-game injuries.

Say on O right now.  If Agudosi was listed as the starter, Bailey the backup and designated nationalized American, you sub Bailey in for Agudosi the second snap of the game and he plays as normal.  Now you have designated Wolitarsky and O'Leary-Orange as the Canadians Bailey can sub for.  Say Wolitarsky gets dinged and needs to sit two series, Agudosi can take his place on the field.  Say Demski goes down and BOLO steps in, again you can sub the American in.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The difference is you sub the American running back in for the Canadian receiver you designated and not an American.

That's how teams are using it on both sides of the ball.  It's a DI that can sub for designated Canadians.  Because it has to be a vet the guys are usually starters but there's no restriction on them subbing in for other Americans so functionally you wouldn't notice Jeffcoat sitting around waiting for his 22 snaps, he'd sub in for Haba every play of the game if they wanted.

Even as a team that doesn't function in the sense of Americans are inherently better than Canadians...the Bombers...most teams are glaringly opposite...it makes sense to use this designation on one guy on both sides of the ball if possible (Bailey would be the only real option for us on O right now) to give way more roster flexibility if you end up needing it due to in-game injuries.

Say on O right now.  If Agudosi was listed as the starter, Bailey the backup and designated nationalized American, you sub Bailey in for Agudosi the second snap of the game and he plays as normal.  Now you have designated Wolitarsky and O'Leary-Orange as the Canadians Bailey can sub for.  Say Wolitarsky gets dinged and needs to sit two series, Agudosi can take his place on the field.  Say Demski goes down and BOLO steps in, again you can sub the American in.

I appreciate the thought you are putting into the responses. 

I’m not looking at how you think we could potentially use this rule to our advantage.

I’m more interested in examples of how other teams are getting impact players more reps right now. 

Which impact players are getting reps that otherwise wouldn’t be? 

Just now, Geebrr said:

I appreciate the thought you are putting into the responses. 

I’m not looking at how you think we could potentially use this rule to our advantage.

I’m more interested in examples of how other teams are getting impact players more reps right now. 

Sask and Calgary getting both American backs on the field without having to sub out an American receiver.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Sask and Calgary getting both American backs on the field without having to sub out an American receiver.

They were doing that last year. Both teams. So what specific changes have been made? 

I mean, we have @DTonOB on here. 

Maybe he can add some insight - or perhaps bring it up in person to MOS? 

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

They were doing that last year. Both teams. So what specific changes have been made? 

I mean, we have @DTonOB on here. 

Maybe he can add some insight - or perhaps bring it up in person to MOS? 

Jeez man...the difference is you can sub the American running back in for a Canadian.  Last year they subbed the American back in for an American receiver.

So say it's the Bombers, the difference on the DL is instead of Haba taking Jeffcoat or Walker off the field you have all 3 of those guys out there and can sub off Thomas.

18 hours ago, Nolby said:

These are the things kids never see, we think our dad's are the most invincible people on earth.

It's not me but, my mom lost her dad, her best friend and grandpa all in the same month. Life can be that sucker punch in the face, everyone's got their own way of picking themselves up and keeping strong.

From my experiences in life and as a therapist, keeping strong is often not an option- keeping the arms and legs moving during the dark nights of the soul often draws on what we need to do for others rather than allowing ourselves to wallow in despair and to make it through today or the next 20 minutes. And the next 20 minutes after that.

Sometimes its hard to believe there is a light ahead but until we can see that, we keep on in faith.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Jeez man...the difference is you can sub the American running back in for a Canadian.  Last year they subbed the American back in for an American receiver.

Who are they subbing off? Where are they benefitting by subbing out the Canadian instead of a receiver? 

You are confusing “how can you?” vs  “how are they?”. 

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Who are they subbing off? Where are they benefitting by subbing out the Canadian instead of a receiver? 

You are confusing “how can you?” vs  “how are they?”. 

I'm not really sure how you can't understand this, and not really sure what you're looking for aside from someone saying the new rule is useless maybe?

Sask in recent games has also used Moncreif as their designated nationalized American.  They've been able to get him and Reavis on the field at the same time subbing off Dalke/Lokombo.

The Bombers are lucky to not have a glaring weakness among the starting Canadians...but the increased flexibility seems like it would benefit any team in case you start losing starters to injury.

41 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I'm not really sure how you can't understand this, and not really sure what you're looking for aside from someone saying the new rule is useless maybe?

Sask in recent games has also used Moncreif as their designated nationalized American.  They've been able to get him and Reavis on the field at the same time subbing off Dalke/Lokombo.

The Bombers are lucky to not have a glaring weakness among the starting Canadians...but the increased flexibility seems like it would benefit any team in case you start losing starters to injury.

I’m not sure why you don’t understand what i’m asking. You keep telling me your opinion on it and how you think we should be using it. I don’t care 

I want to know what lessor player is being subbed out to get these on the field. So - I’m led to believe you don’t know and are guessing. 

Edited by Geebrr

8 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I’m not sure why you don’t understand what i’m asking. You keep telling me your opinion on it and how you think we should be using it. I don’t care 

I want to know what lessor player is being subbed out to get these on the field. So - I’m lead to believe you don’t know and are guessing. 

In my opinion, JuranBoldenRules has been exceptionally clear, and I comprehend his message completely. I'm perplexed as to what you find unclear and what you're attempting to inquire about. It's a simple roster swap.

7 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I want to know what lessor player is being subbed out to get these on the field. So - I’m lead to believe you don’t know and are guessing. 

Well, two pretty concrete examples.  You can look at the depth charts, not too hard every team has them on their website.

Thanks for convincing me to put you back on the ignore list.

17 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

In my opinion, JuranBoldenRules has been exceptionally clear, and I comprehend his message completely. I'm perplexed as to what you find unclear and what you're attempting to inquire about. It's a simple roster swap.

I’m glad the weirdest guy on the internet weighed in. 

I understand his opinion - he isn’t answering what I’m asking. 

16 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Well, two pretty concrete examples.  You can look at the depth charts, not too hard every team has them on their website.

Thanks for convincing me to put you back on the ignore list.

Two examples - one of which I gave at the beginning.  Two guys getting regular reps last year. So you don’t know. That’s fine- don’t act like you do. 

I don’t have any negative opinion on the rule. 

I regret taking you off ignore - I was just about to add you back . I’d say It is for the best that we both do it 😂

I won’t miss your opinions. 

Edited by Geebrr