Bombers vs Als - Canada day weekend edition

The Zipp

Apologies if this is breaking some MBB protocol ...it's time to move on to the next game...I don't know the practice schedule for this week but it will be interesting to see if there were any injuries or other changes in the lineup.  

We will prob never know for sure what happened to the o-line last game - was it just BC trying harder? A specific scheme that gave us trouble (and now all teams are going to try it) but I am pretty confident they will bounce back.

I believe Rick Campbell is a great coach - jason Maas not so much..Stanback is a beast and that moves on to concerns about the defense and the matchups this week...I think the oline will sort itself out and the offense overall- defense I am legit worried.  I don't think the talent is there, willie is more effective on a rotation and Laurence hasn't shown he can cover 1a or 1b level receiver yet. 

Right now I am thinking this game will be close, maybe a last minute FG wins or loses it.

I've seen you post twice now about Rick Campbell being a great coach. I don't believe that for a second, and if I remember right, our resident insider Booch, has said similar. Campbell's assistants may have outschemed us (huge MAYBE) but Campbell has never done anything impressive.

Moving on to this week, there needs to be a statement game on Canada Day. Wash that taste out of their mouths.

This week reminded me of playing Toronto last year.

The DL completely overwhelmed the OL and our offence couldn't really get started. So, it's definitely a scheme/strategy that teams can use (if they have the horses) against us with success.

It's going to be on Buck to have a way to burn teams early so our offence doesn't sink into the funk that we've seen in the (very few) games in which this happens. 

In my ongoing imagined debate which MOS' roster management, I think a guy like Greg McCrae could be pretty valuable as a release valve. Lawler would obviously be a big add too, we could probably use a max protect OL if we had him on the field to get open quickly/beat his man.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I've seen you post twice now about Rick Campbell being a great coach. I don't believe that for a second, and if I remember right, our resident insider Booch, has said similar. Campbell's assistants may have outschemed us (huge MAYBE) but Campbell has never done anything impressive.

Moving on to this week, there needs to be a statement game on Canada Day. Wash that taste out of their mouths.

Meh. Give him his due. 

Can't praise MOS for intangibles and ignore them in others. He's had success across multiple teams and has survived the loss of Rourke to keep his team humming. They are firmly in the top third of teams that have a shot at winning it all this year.

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Disagree, what Campbell achieved in his time with the RB's was fairly impressive, he walked away from the team over disagreements with personnel decisions Marcel Desjardins kept making that continually weakened the team.

The D so far is always a step behind, and in the case of the corners usually 2 steps.  Not a lot of playmaking, so in my mind they need to work on being more aggressive earlier, mostly on the coverage side.  We can't let teams drive down to the 35 and then count on a turnover/sack etc as in past years.  Even though some of the names are the same the playmaking isn't there anymore, and especially in the secondary.

They need to break tendencies because they aren't simply good enough to just execute the same schemes repeatedly and beat people.  Be less predictable.  If you can't get pressure with 3-4-5, play more aggressive coverages.  Don't simply throw blitzes out and leave a bunch of green grass out there for the O to work with.

Against Fajardo if you keep him in the pocket you'll get him to make bad choices.  Tighten coverage first, not so concerned about pass rush vs Fajardo, but it is a general concern.

Going to have to be ready for a physical game vs Stanback.  If I'm Maas I'm just feeding him until the Bombers show they came to play.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

11 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The D so far is always a step behind, and in the case of the corners usually 2 steps.  Not a lot of playmaking, so in my mind they need to work on being more aggressive earlier, mostly on the coverage side.  We can't let teams drive down to the 35 and then count on a turnover/sack etc as in past years.  Even though some of the names are the same the playmaking isn't there anymore, and especially in the secondary.

They need to break tendencies because they aren't simply good enough to just execute the same schemes repeatedly and beat people.  Be less predictable.  If you can't get pressure with 3-4-5, play more aggressive coverages.  Don't simply throw blitzes out and leave a bunch of green grass out there for the O to work with.

Against Fajardo if you keep him in the pocket you'll get him to make bad choices.  Tighten coverage first, not so concerned about pass rush vs Fajardo, but it is a general concern.

Going to have to be ready for a physical game vs Stanback.  If I'm Maas I'm just feeding him until the Bombers show they came to play.

Be less predictable. That’s exactly true.

33 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The D so far is always a step behind, and in the case of the corners usually 2 steps.  Not a lot of playmaking, so in my mind they need to work on being more aggressive earlier, mostly on the coverage side.  We can't let teams drive down to the 35 and then count on a turnover/sack etc as in past years. 

Have you not seen the Richie Hall defense from the last many years that we've been using?   That's why any QB who can dink and dunk can move the ball with ease against us.  

1 hour ago, GOLD MEMBER said:

I like our chances VS MAAAAS lol

lets give JarJarDo a reminder of the dark side!

OL needs a bounce back game after eating msn handled.

Any update on Lawler?

Houston we need back!!!

Just like in the opening crawl, that is from "a long time ago in a galaxy, far far away."

Shell of the defense from last year.

Hopefully we see the return of some of our walking wounded.....Definitely starting to miss the likes of Hansen and Lawson.....they're difference makers....Would be nice to see Lawler make his initial start for 23'....His add would really give Maas and company something to be concerned about....Can't take the Als lightly......Play to the level we know we can and give er'

1 hour ago, bugsybomber said:

This is tottally unrelated to this topic, but caanot find answer to this question. I read MBB all the time but decided to check out the other bb forum and it seems to  have disappeared. Anybody know what happened?

There is some technical issue that the CFL and Bombers are supposedly working on.  I don't know how much time they putting into it as it has been a while.  The forum technology is out dated and needs an upgrade for sure.  I don't have any more info than that.  Bomber fans are lucky to have multiple places to discuss our favorite team!

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Have you not seen the Richie Hall defense from the last many years that we've been using?   That's why any QB who can dink and dunk can move the ball with ease against us.  

A few years before Collaros showed up, Hall's secondary was quite aggressive at causing turnovers and picking balls off, I don't know if it's the personnel or a philosophy change that's hindering this crop of DB's from becoming ball-hawks.  Hall is probably coaching more conservatively now, with the idea that the D just needs to hold the fort until the offence gets rolling.

12 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

A few years before Collaros showed up, Hall's secondary was quite aggressive at causing turnovers and picking balls off, I don't know if it's the personnel or a philosophy change that's hindering this crop of DB's from becoming ball-hawks.  Hall is probably coaching more conservatively now, with the idea that the D just needs to hold the fort until the offence gets rolling.

My memory was that for years our defense would stay on the field for a long time and teams would routinely pass for 300+ yards against us eating up the game clock.   It was only after we signed Bighill and Jefferson and when we had Alexander and a few others that were playmakers that the defense went from hard to watch to must watch.

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Did you read what you quoted, or are you trying to be a parody account?

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

My memory was that for years our defense would stay on the field for a long time and teams would routinely pass for 300+ yards against us eating up the game clock.   It was only after we signed Bighill and Jefferson and when we had Alexander and a few others that were playmakers that the defense went from hard to watch to must watch.

16 and 17 we led the league in turnover differential.  There wasn't a huge emphasis on pressure but was on turning the ball over, always has been under Hall.  He doesn't have the players right now though.

42 minutes ago, Brandon said:

We had corner improvements in Nichols and Alford immediately! Lately Nichols is getting burned here and there as well.

it is down to the Dline, obvious weak spot! Haba Daba Dooo and Willie needs to show up. LB core has not impressed me at times as well.

The D interior is an iffy corps now. They need an upgrade/add on in this position.

Clements not bad but Biggie not doin Biggie things. 100% healthy?

Edited by GOLD MEMBER

13 minutes ago, GOLD MEMBER said:

We had corner improvements in Nichols and Alford immediately! Lately Nichols is getting burned here and there as well.

it is down to the Dline, obvious weak spot! Haba Daba Dooo and Willie needs to show up. LB core has not impressed me at times as well.

The D interior is an iffy corps now. They need an upgrade/add on in this position.

Clements not bad but Biggie not doin Biggie things. 100% healthy?

Willie and Biggie have arguably been our two best players on D to start the season.....

I’m 

47 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Willie and Biggie have arguably been our two best players on D to start the season.....

Ok so who then our biggest screw up on D personal speaking? Darby? Thomas?

Lawrence has been a disappointment.

Or coaching an issue again with Hall?

Edited by GOLD MEMBER

12 minutes ago, GOLD MEMBER said:

I’m 

Ok so who then our biggest screw up on D personal speaking? Darby? Thomas?

Desmond Laurence had got beat real bad the last two games.  Would love to see how many yards he had given up. 

willie has still been decent, he is playing almost every snap though.  Rookies are gonna cost you though - they make mistakes and cause others to compensate for them making their play less effective. 

14 minutes ago, The Zipp said:

Desmond Laurence had got beat real bad the last two games.  Would love to see how many yards he had given up. 

willie has still been decent, he is playing almost every snap though.  Rookies are gonna cost you though - they make mistakes and cause others to compensate for them making their play less effective. 

Oh ya Lawrence what a nightmare

1 hour ago, GOLD MEMBER said:

I think the the issue goes back to these boards (maybe it was ourbombers?)  in that everyone agreed that the Hall defense can work beautifully... when that defense is loaded with all star talent.   I remember many many threads ripping apart Richie Hall because of the soft coverage. 

Lawrence, Houston and Holm are far from all star level of talent.      We also require constant pressure on the QB so that they can only quickly get the ball out for the 4 yard pass... otherwise if they have time to make a quick 2nd read our DB's are playing so far off that it's an easy 8  yard pass each time against us.   

Edited by Brandon