Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

11 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Who's calling you a liar? You keep saying 6game and we believe you... but what about the AR? Thats what we are asking about.

Point blank yes or no questions:

1. can a team activate a player on their PR to prevent them from being poached? (So far, the concensus is yes and previously posted news articles back this up)

Yes or no?

2. can a player refuse to be promoted from the PR to the AR, and as a result facilitate the poaching? Even though the team holding his rights wanted to activate him? (Sounds fishy)

Yes or no?

3. can a player end their own PR contract and sign as a FA elsewhere in the same season?

Yes or no?

That would clear up a lot for me. I dont care about 6game 1game or demotions to the PR... I'm asking very specifically about promoting from the PR to the AR I cant be more clear

If player agrees to stay if.neimg poached then we would have to activate...but then would we..and what precedent would that set...he 2as deemed not needed...and now u yank a guy off...and replace...that's a slippery slope as well

Yes...player on PR can still walk away by voiding his PR deal...PR deal does not bind u or block you...that's part of the dynamics of the PR..also what team with any decency would block a player from gaining fulltime employment....it's no.diff than how we released Kongbo..Ford ..Desjarlais really

U can ask.to have PR voided and look elsewhere...who's to say that's not what Piggy did...maybe he saw no opp here now and said I want out...cause Ott called his agent

Fact of the matter a PR spot isn't really much of anything contract wise...a lot of PR releases are player driven but the team won't disclose that to public... especially here..Osh is a master BS'er and question dodger 

19 minutes ago, Booch said:

If player agrees to stay if.neimg poached then we would have to activate...but then would we..and what precedent would that set...he 2as deemed not needed...and now u yank a guy off...and replace...that's a slippery slope as well

Yes...player on PR can still walk away by voiding his PR deal...PR deal does not bind u or block you...that's part of the dynamics of the PR..also what team with any decency would block a player from gaining fulltime employment....it's no.diff than how we released Kongbo..Ford ..Desjarlais really

U can ask.to have PR voided and look elsewhere...who's to say that's not what Piggy did...maybe he saw no opp here now and said I want out...cause Ott called his agent

Fact of the matter a PR spot isn't really much of anything contract wise...a lot of PR releases are player driven but the team won't disclose that to public... especially here..Osh is a master BS'er and question dodger 

Sure...you can ask for your release from the PR at any time. What you cannot do is talk to any other team while you are on another's PR. That team, in order to even talk to you, has to poach you. Ottawa could not have called Piggy's agent before he was released from the PR, that's called tampering. Not saying it doesn't happen....but if a player were to ask for his release based on an offer he received via tampering....I don't want him anyway. FIFO. You are trying to spin it that players on PRs are able to field offers from other teams and that simply isn't so at least not within the confines of the CFL rules. 

What team would block a player from leaving if he wanted to? None probably. However, at that point I would have serious questions about their character anyway because you are either a player with a me first attitude that is taking his ball and going home, or you are a me first player willing to operate in a pretty shady manner to advance yourself. In short, if Haba asks for his release from the PR...good riddance. 

Edited by GCn20

8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sure...you can ask for your release from the PR at any time. What you cannot do is talk to any other team while you are on another's PR. That team, in order to even talk to you, has to poach you. Ottawa could not have called Piggy's agent before he was released from the PR, that's called tampering. Not saying it doesn't happen....but if a player were to ask for his release based on an offer he received via tampering....I don't want him anyway. FIFO. You are trying to spin it that players on PRs are able to field offers from other teams and that simply isn't so at least not within the confines of the CFL rules. 

What team would block a player from leaving if he wanted to? None probably. However, at that point I would have serious questions about their character anyway.

U seriously think that doesn't happen??

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Like I said, I'm sure it does. Those who operate like that can FO because they didn't FI. It definitely doesn't show good character, definitely not the kind of character our team covets. 

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

question dodger 

The irony, I hope, is not entirely lost on you.

Can a player refuse to be promoted from the PR to the AR? Yes or no?

This is a pretty important detail. If a player can't refuse a promotion from the PR to the AR then technically the team can protect them from being poached if they choose to by promoting them, hard stop end of convo. Of course a player could ask for a release, and of course a reasonable GM would consider it, but rules as written... teams hold all the leverage.

Piggy no doubt was offered a PR spot after Prukop was signed and declined it, immediately becoming an FA.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Pretty sure he said "not saying it doesn't happen"

1 minute ago, MOBomberFan said:

The irony, I hope, is not entirely lost on you.

Can a player refuse to be promoted from the PR to the AR? Yes or no?

This is a pretty important detail. If a player can't refuse a promotion from the PR to the AR then technically the team can protect them from being poached if they choose to by promoting them, hard stop end of convo. Of course a player could ask for a release, and of course a reasonable GM would consider it, but rules as written... teams hold all the leverage.

Piggy no doubt was offered a PR spot after Prukop was signed and declined it, immediately becoming an FA.

Pretty sure he said "not saying it doesn't happen"

A player cannot refuse a promotion from the PR to the AR....and I am super unclear why they would even want to.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

A player cannot refuse a promotion from the PR to the AR....and I am super unclear why they would even want to.

In this BS scenario a Bomber player wants out of this mismanaged hell hole so badly that he would refuse a promotion to the AR so that the Bombers would be effectively forced to allow the poaching. Pretty ridiculous, especially if they are supposedly allowed to walk from their PR contract any time they want and sign with another team that same season with no repercussions. It doesn't make sense to me either. But its the CFL, bushiest of the bush, nothing would surprise me either way

1 minute ago, MOBomberFan said:

In this BS scenario a Bomber player wants out of this mismanaged hell hole so badly that he would refuse a promotion to the AR so that the Bombers would be effectively forced to allow the poaching. Pretty ridiculous, especially if they are supposedly allowed to walk from their PR contract any time they want and sign with another team that same season with no repercussions. It doesn't make sense to me either. But its the CFL, bushiest of the bush, nothing would surprise me either way

Players can walk away from the PR if they want. They cannot talk to another team first though and players with reps of doing it don't tend to have very long careers afterwards. It is seen as a huge red flag about their character if players do this. Rightfully so. Also, the whole point of a player leaving would be to get game cheques as opposed to PR money. If they are activated by their current team there is no need to leave. No team is going to promise another team's PR player a guaranteed AR spot for the remainder of the season. Look around the league, who is Haba going to replace that he is undeniably better than? I like Haba, but we need to reel it in a bit. He is a promising rookie, but nothing more. He is not some superstar DE that we are refusing to play.

IF Haba asks for his release, would you really want a player who doesn't want to be part of your club...I think he would want to see an 'opportunity' elsewhere where he would be a decent fit....and that would/could present him with a very tough decision based on the fact there isn't that many ...if it exists at all....I'll stick my neck out and say he still wants to be in the Peg and stays

51 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

when is the last time a player gets plucked from a practice roster it doesnt happen any more.

It happened last month, former Bomber lineman Jakob Szott was picked off the Riders PR by the Ti-Cats.  Prior to that may have to go back a few years when the Lions lost O-linemen Zver and Guy to Chris Jones when he was with the Riders.  Generally the gentleman's agreement is followed, which  helps maintain the stability of the roster and provides teams a bit of shuffle space to manage human resources.

Edited by Fatty Liver

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Not true....many, many players decline being plucked from the PR of the team they are on. Also, most times these moves are thwarted by that team simply activating that player if another team swoops in.

Yes he can retire, or just quit and go home. He cannot just walk off our PR to another team. Can't do it.

No. Cannot refuse. If they did they would be activated then suspended.

No...no it's not. Teams block PR poaching a lot more than you know by activating the player. Many players refuse to be poached as well.

You have a vivid imagination if you think GM's are continuously trying to raid other teams PR lists, the gentleman's agreement works very well at limiting this activity to the frequency of once in a blue moon.

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

You have a vivid imagination if you think GM's are continuously trying to raid other teams PR lists, the gentleman's agreement works very well at limiting this activity to the frequency of once in a blue moon.

You cannot use "gentlemen's agreement" ang Chris Jones in the same post or thread or forum. Just so you know.