Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

If I'm not mistaken he was the guy who missed the block on the blocked punt last week.

Twice that exact kind of miscue has happened with Kramdi in that spot.  Both times he heads straight up the field with virtually zero contact with the rusher coming straight through the spot he’s vacating.

11 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

Twice that exact kind of miscue has happened with Kramdi in that spot.  Both times he heads straight up the field with virtually zero contact with the rusher coming straight through the spot he’s vacating.

works hard in practice tho...and guys like seeing that

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

What does it say though when Kramdi has done better at the spot than Darby? Sometimes you get a better performance from the guy who isn't the fastest or most explosive guy. 

Not trying to say Kramdi has been great but the D has improved with him in there.

has he tho really...People crap on Darby but he wasn't as bad as some are claiming...he had one bad game I admit.....but so has Biggie...he's had a couple...I dont see Caldwadder in for him....Houston has had prob 2 bad games as well....he didnt get pooched for a same as or lesser talent...Kramdi also has had luxury of playing on defence with Rose..Wilson...Jeffcoat....which makes a difference as well.

I can see/accept that the coach wants to go that way....well then switch the starting DT to Fox, as we don't have to have 2 Canadians on defense as I am told our pe-game declaration is 6 on offence...1 on defense

10 hours ago, 17to85 said:

What does it say though when Kramdi has done better at the spot than Darby? Sometimes you get a better performance from the guy who isn't the fastest or most explosive guy. 

Not trying to say Kramdi has been great but the D has improved with him in there.

Darby has been a liability as a starter. 

so here is a question...Looking at our roster, and 6 game and what I have gleened from practice the last week and a half we would/should have Clements and Haba available soon...if not practicing fully this week....as both look ready to go...Lawrence and Parker both have been back to full practice.....Parker even was in for one game, then we took him off....why not sure.....and also have Fox (who played a game and looked real good) and Garbutt available.....At some point also Grant, Miller and Hansen are back.....and also Swarmay who showed he can play.....what is our roster gonna look like and who could....or should come off?

Who does Miller replace....What do we do with the love of DA'in Jackson when with Miller back is not needed....Do we use that to roster one of Haba/Fox/Garbutt?.....(which makes sense and helps us exponentially)

Until Grant is ready, do we keep just rolling with Mcrae...who yeah had 1 good return on a punt.....let me say again...1....and does that influence Osh further, or do we let Parker try?.....Hansen obviously displaces Mauro, thats a no brainer....and his stupid penalty last night prob didnt help his cause....

What do we do with Clements who showed really well this yr, and is also great on ST's?...be very interesting to see what shakes out, and if we make a trade...just flat out dump a really good player, or even tweak the roster of current game day players.....cause as I see it we are gonna have a glut of healthy bodies very soon...no room on the PR and only so much use you fiscally can use via the 1 game injury list

Just now, rebusrankin said:

Clements for Cole. Haba hopefully for Jackson. Grant for McCrae. DBs likely no chances. This is me just speculating. Its also possible that we get Ford back from the NFL.

I would think something like that, But Cole is damn good on teams, and takes quality reps on defense too, But a nice problem to have.

If Ford comes back that would be huge as he can effectively do Darby's role and that Import spot then could be used on Clements or FOX/Garbutt if he sticks around.....who would Ford bump off tho...Maybe Kramdi?..Hallett?...Those would be the options I would think, But that being said, I would park Bennett if Haba is back, especially if Hansen is in the mix as well....and If we have Hansen along with the Jeff's...Haba, Lawson and Walker I would sit down Thomas in lieu of Hallett/Kramdi as we would still be running the same amount of dlineman, and we techanically dont need a national DT to be a starter

They won't be rushing to cut the SAM backer of a D that has only given up offensive TDs to the Edmonton Elks in the last 5 games...and 3 of those 4 being the Mitchell-Houston play, Moore screen, Brown run to start game.  Not really giving up any drives.

Bennett and Cadwallader would be the bottom 2 Canadians right now.  They are likely scared to expose Eli or Dobson to the rest of the league so they are on.  Augustine and O'Leary-Orange are the only skill positions backups, especially when Grant is back for McCrae.  McCrae offers more on O but nothing on special teams.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

They won't be rushing to cut the SAM backer of a D that has only given up offensive TDs to the Edmonton Elks in the last 5 games...and 3 of those 4 being the Mitchell-Houston play, Moore screen, Brown run to start game.  Not really giving up any drives.

Bennett and Cadwallader would be the bottom 2 Canadians right now.  They are likely scared to expose Eli or Dobson to the rest of the league so they are on.  Augustine and O'Leary-Orange are the only skill positions backups, especially when Grant is back for McCrae.  McCrae offers more on O but nothing on special teams.

when things are clicking we don't need Mcrae on offense....and actually when they aren't we don't need him as he isn't that spark or something extra that kicks us out of the funk anyway

Also....Eli and Dobson like their roles here, and would want to leave if someone tried to poach them, and doubt they would, and if we were to pull one off here or there, they would be 1 gamed anyway....so losing them isn't a worry

47 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly can we just let Eli be the starting centre already and let kolankowski be the 7th man? And possibly off the roster to fit someone else in? Not that he is playing poorly, but Eli is just on a different level physically.

There was a play last week where Eli absolutely MAULED the player lined up across from him .. just blew him up and pancaked him.  It was awesome.  

For the life of me I can't understand why he doesn't take more snaps. 

This team, this year, it feels like we are trying to allow certain vets to ride off into the sunset instead of having hard discussions about people's future.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

when things are clicking we don't need Mcrae on offense....and actually when they aren't we don't need him as he isn't that spark or something extra that kicks us out of the funk anyway

Also....Eli and Dobson like their roles here, and would want to leave if someone tried to poach them, and doubt they would, and if we were to pull one off here or there, they would be 1 gamed anyway....so losing them isn't a worry

There is always the IR for anyone we don't want to lose.

In all seriousness, don’t really see where the club will go with changes, aside from Grant for McCrae as returner. Our defence is playing lights out, and as Booch said about our special teams and the changes O’Shea made in structure, why fix something that isn’t broken?

If we were talking about a Lawler or an Oliviera or a Jeffcoat sitting on the bench healthy I could see the push to change, but other than Grant, who is the best on the league, are any of the replacement guys so indispensable they automatically go in no questions asked? Parker has talent, but who in our current staring 5 in the secondary does he bump? Holm and Houston have been the two most visible successes this year, and are you going to yank the experience of Rose, Nichols, or Alexander knowing what their ceilings are? Pull Kramdi, sure, but Haba and Fox despite whatever some think of their “intangible physicality” have not jumped off the page so much in their past playing time that they are a no doubt top line starter. If they are an upgrade is a speculative debate based on personal opinion and subjective bias largely, I don’t see the jump-off-the-page stats or game-breaking plays from them that warrant change for the sake of change. Now, a Kramdi or. Jackson doesn’t either, but with the team on a heater, who wants to mess with winning chemistry? I think once we secure a playoff spot or certainly after getting top in the West we will see changes, but most likely not before that unless and injury or a glaringly bad performance that is THE reason we lose a game forces the coaches’ hands. 

Two last points for debate. I think Jake Thomas is showing that reports of his demise are premature given his run these past 4 games. He’s not a game-breaker, never had been, but he does his job and helps others do theirs. As for Jackson, because he is the only fullback on the roster with Miller out (unless the Bomber roster designations are incorrect) and we have such a key running attack, I don’t see him getting bumped. I don’t lock into blocking schemes when watching the game, but is he a regular part of the “heavy set” formation or short yardage crew as a blocker? And how does he handle his role on special teams? Does he stay in his lane and control gaps, which allows his teammates like Hallett to make the tackles? Maybe his role is to be a support guy, taking on blockers to free up his teammates to make the play, so his lack of stats don’t tell the whole story. Asking those who track such things better than I could. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

In all seriousness, don’t really see where the club will go with changes, aside from Grant for McCrae as returner. Our defence is playing lights out, and as Booch said about our special teams and the changes O’Shea made in structure, why fix something that isn’t broken?

If we were talking about a Lawler or an Oliviera or a Jeffcoat sitting on the bench healthy I could see the push to change, but other than Grant, who is the best on the league, are any of the replacement guys so indispensable they automatically go in no questions asked? Parker has talent, but who in our current staring 5 in the secondary does he bump? Holm and Houston have been the two most visible successes this year, and are you going to yank the experience of Rose, Nichols, or Alexander knowing what their ceilings are? Pull Kramdi, sure, but Haba and Fox despite whatever some think of their “intangible physicality” have not jumped off the page so much in their past playing time that they are a no doubt top line starter. If they are an upgrade is a speculative debate based on personal opinion and subjective bias largely, I don’t see the jump-off-the-page stats or game-breaking plays from them that warrant change for the sake of change. Now, a Kramdi or. Jackson doesn’t either, but with the team on a heater, who wants to mess with winning chemistry? I think once we secure a playoff spot or certainly after getting top in the West we will see changes, but most likely not before that unless and injury or a glaringly bad performance that is THE reason we lose a game forces the coaches’ hands. 

Two last points for debate. I think Jake Thomas is showing that reports of his demise are premature given his run these past 4 games. He’s not a game-breaker, never had been, but he does his job and helps others do theirs. As for Jackson, because he is the only fullback on the roster with Miller out (unless the Bomber roster designations are incorrect) and we have such a key running attack, I don’t see him getting bumped. I don’t lock into blocking schemes when watching the game, but is he a regular part of the “heavy set” formation or short yardage crew as a blocker? And how does he handle his role on special teams? Does he stay in his lane and control gaps, which allows his teammates like Hallett to make the tackles? Maybe his role is to be a support guy, taking on blockers to free up his teammates to make the play, so his lack of stats don’t tell the whole story. Asking those who track such things better than I could. 

yeah not a lot that has to be changed at moment....But Haba showed very well and was very productive.....he is light years better as a rotational end than Bennett and when they have to use Mauro.....He is easily back in lineup and has to be for Jackson, as we do not need a DA fullback, when Miller is back....That woukd be pointless and over kill and basically crippling the lineup as we already have a plethora of guys who are staright up special teamers only for the most part....We don't need to DA an additional one

The return of Miller and Grant alone will be huge not just for teams, but the slight ripple effect it would crate on the roster...in a positive way

The Thomas thing...yeah he got a string of sacks, but he even admitted it in the press was a recipient of other's work....and the addition of Wilson, which has ripple effect on Biggie being able to do more normal Biggie things and Jeffcoat in total form has allowed the qb to have to run rigr smack dab into the interior...where his big ass is parked....ends are causing it and Wilson and Biggie presence is cancelling out the other gaps basically....he is good as a rotational piece to give Lawson and Walker a snap or 2 of rest, but not be getting the bulk of the inside snaps...and definately not anything off edge...

I'd like to get Haba, Fox and Hansen into the DL rotation just to keep people fresher. That would go a long way. Grant in for MacRae. If Jackson was Canadian, I wouldn't have so much of a problem with his roster spot, but if Mike Miller ever gets 100% again, he should be in for Jackson. All these changes would make our roster really really good...

Just now, Noeller said:

I'd like to get Haba, Fox and Hansen into the DL rotation just to keep people fresher. That would go a long way. Grant in for MacRae. If Jackson was Canadian, I wouldn't have so much of a problem with his roster spot, but if Mike Miller ever gets 100% again, he should be in for Jackson. All these changes would make our roster really really good...

thats my only issue with Jackson.....

41 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Man, our line adding just Haba and Hansen would be stacked. 

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

Man, our line adding just Haba and Hansen would be stacked. 

Yeah, I just worry about Jeffcoat. You see how incredible he can be when he's healthy.... don't wanna risk running him dry too soon. Get some good rotation going on and keep everyone fresh....then we're set.