Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

17 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah...we choked a bit in the Ottawa game at the end...but had multiple things go wrong to contribute to that..Castillo missing his first FG and convert...the BO fumble....the pick six..Schoen drop....for most part all very uncharacteristic things.....and yes...you still have to make the plays to win, and the other team is trying too...but all those things lined up just right that particular day to allow that...Ottawa had done nothing all game pretty much until that last 2+ minutes

Those things, the easing up on the gas... and that weak roster we put out with minimal defense depth (which several of us moaned about and could be the demise that game) came to fruition and caused the collapse....lesson learned....move on....well I hope it was learned

Yea...I don't see that as any indication of anything other than we let things snowball. I doubt that ever happens again with this group. It was actually a good lesson for them that even a game that you are thoroughly dominating for 55 minutes can turn on a dime if you let a team hang around and they get a couple bounces. Old Mo is a cruel mistress sometimes.

Edited by GCn20

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yea...I don't see that as any indication of anything other than we let things snowball. I doubt that ever happens again with this group. It was actually a good lesson for them that even a game that you are thoroughly dominating for 55 minutes can turn on a dime if you let a team hang around and they get a couple bounces. Old Mo is a cruel mistress sometimes.

Finding a way to keep out of 2nd and long's early in the game would be helpful.

11 minutes ago, bb1 said:

I think it had more to do with Crum that the light switch at Qb came on. I am not saying he is a star yet. He definitely has all the tools especially the intelligence part imo though.

crum and powell both looked pretty cool, calm, looking downfield for a play. not panicking.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Finding a way to keep out of 2nd and long's early in the game would be helpful.

Yea...2nd and longs are never a great situation. However, I will take 2nd half production over 1st half production any day of the week.

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Teams know they can't let us run in the 1st Q or it will get ugly fast. If we can run on them throughout the whole game we are gonna be hanging 50 on them. They game plan to shut down our run and force us into 2nd and longs and hope their secondary can hold. By the 2nd half they just can't stay with the physical punishment of doing that and Brady goes off. It's a pick your poison kind of thing and that is a sign of a well constructed offence.

The only chance teams have against us is to eliminate our run game early and get a ton of pressure on Zac. So far BC is the only team able to do that. Ottawa game was just a snowball of momentum and some good bounces going Ottawa's way late in the game.

Best running game of the year so far was in Mtl., rain seems to force them to use all of their running weapons more effectively.  Hopefully they start to rely on Bailey, McCrae, Demski and even Augustine a little bit more to diversify their running attack and take some focus off of Brady.

adding quality and practical players on the PR is easy...there is a lot out there....a couple lineup tweaks here and there is also easy, as we have guys in house in a few spots to plug in and to if anything...see if it makes a difference.....Roster make-up is the tricky one as a) as it sits we have no real options outside the starters and a few guys on IR and b) have no real faith that Osh will actually do the required moves in a few instances....

9 hours ago, bb1 said:

I think it had more to do with Crum that the light switch at Qb came on. I am not saying he is a star yet. He definitely has all the tools especially the intelligence part imo though.

Crum will play until he gets hurt & he will with that Damn The Torpedoes running style the rookie is using. We've all seen this song & dance before from other rookie qbs. He can run for sure but he still needs to play a style of game that protects him as much as he can from getting injured.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Crum will play until he gets hurt & he will with that Damn The Torpedoes running style the rookie is using. We've all seen this song & dance before from other rookie qbs. He can run for sure but he still needs to play a style of game that protects him as much as he can from getting injured.

The good ones figure that out. Will Crum figure it out in time? 

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

In the two RedBack wins, he did make some nice passes, so it seems he has the arm and accuracy. It will probably come down to his intelligence and ability to read CFL defences.

47 minutes ago, Tracker said:

In the two RedBack wins, he did make some nice passes, so it seems he has the arm and accuracy. It will probably come down to his intelligence and ability to read CFL defences.

Crum is following a simple playbook, a smart DC will disguise coverage and try to confuse him, much like Bombers did to Rourke last season.  I don't know if the Ti-Cats are capable enough to pull it off, but easy enough to spy him and shut down his running as Judge did last week.

Edited by Fatty Liver

29 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Maybe I am wrong but we seem to be using a lot less pre-snap motion than in past years. Am I alone thinking this? I will readily admit that this could be something that I am wrong about. Just seems that way to me.

NO....U are correct....and using minimal run plays from it as well....not sure why but it is noticeable

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Maybe I am wrong but we seem to be using a lot less pre-snap motion than in past years. Am I alone thinking this? I will readily admit that this could be something that I am wrong about. Just seems that way to me.

Early on it felt like too much, but it seems like they have gone away from it.

38 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Early on it felt like too much, but it seems like they have gone away from it.

Thought I was maybe reaching for reasons. Glad to see others noticed it too. Might be time to ratchet it up a bit again.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

NO....U are correct....and using minimal run plays from it as well....not sure why but it is noticeable

Yea..with the exception of McCrae in Montreal we aren't seeing the Demski/Bailey/MccCrae sweeps as much. Could be why we are seeing more pressure off the edge.

47 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Thought I was maybe reaching for reasons. Glad to see others noticed it too. Might be time to ratchet it up a bit again.

Yea..with the exception of McCrae in Montreal we aren't seeing the Demski/Bailey/MccCrae sweeps as much. Could be why we are seeing more pressure off the edge.

100% reason why

14 hours ago, JCon said:

The good ones figure that out. Will Crum figure it out in time? 

Crum took some hellacious shots tonite. Those hits accumulate & he'll start feeling them as it's only July. Crum doesn't run smart. He runs with abandon putting his body on the line. He'll do it once too often & get injured. At least slide instead of absorbing those hits. Coaches should be telling him to go down.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following transactions:

Added to practice roster:

American defensive end Tyjuan Garbutt (6-2, 261, Virginia Tech, July 14, 1999, in Fredericksburg, VA)

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/07/29/blue-bombers-transactions-july-29/?fbclid=IwAR03qQ0pWsCMXLelGz5Q4eqbGESDFGfU5639O-YVEP8Mt1Z_UoZs4vD7UAY

Edited by bigg jay

12 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following transactions:

Added to practice roster:

American defensive end Tyjuan Garbutt (6-2, 261, Virginia Tech, July 14, 1999, in Fredericksburg, VA)

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/07/29/blue-bombers-transactions-july-29/?fbclid=IwAR03qQ0pWsCMXLelGz5Q4eqbGESDFGfU5639O-YVEP8Mt1Z_UoZs4vD7UAY

Booch: "WE NEED DEPTH!!11!!"

KW: "You got it, skip..."