CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I had not heard the podcast and did not know it had recurred, I recall the articles from 2021 talking about the initial battle in 2020. If they're still dealing with that, I don't see him moving.

Available in a few places:

Buzzsprout:
https://handledinternally.buzzsprout.com/1384240/13766647-season-4-episode-4-buck-pierce

Spotify: 

Apple Podcasts:
https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/season-4-episode-4-buck-pierce/id1533831658?i=1000631109075

13 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Not the originator of this theory but is there a chance that MOS knows he's only going to coach 1-2 more years and Buck has been told the job is his then?

Maybe. Knowing MOS and the Bomber organization this is not something that anyone would ever know outside that room though. However, Buck has already turned down 2 HC interviews in the past 2 years that have been confirmed in the media, so either he is extremely comfortable remaining an OC until the perfect situation comes along, or some kind of succession map has been laid out to him that he is completely comfortable with. Either way, Buck has already demonstrated that he is not really willing to jump into a tire fire for a promotion.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Maybe. Knowing MOS and the Bomber organization this is not something that anyone would ever know outside that room though. However, Buck has already turned down 2 HC interviews in the past 2 years that have been confirmed in the media, so either he is extremely comfortable remaining an OC until the perfect situation comes along, or some kind of succession map has been laid out to him that he is completely comfortable with. Either way, Buck has already demonstrated that he is not really willing to jump into a tire fire for a promotion.

I would bet his refusal of those has more to do with his family's situation (wife mainly) and less to do with waiting for the right situation. 

21 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I would bet his refusal of those has more to do with his family's situation (wife mainly) and less to do with waiting for the right situation. 

That could very well be. The reason why is unimportant, what's important is that he is not a guy looking to jump at his first opportunity to be a HC. 

From Ben's Breakdown on 3downnation:

"What makes football more intense than other North American team sports is how few games there are. Extreme emotional highs and lows stem from the fact that a win in the CFL is equivalent to a nine-game winning streak in Major League Baseball, and a loss, a nine-game losing streak. In baseball terms, the Saskatchewan Roughriders closed out their season with 63 straight losses."

1 hour ago, bluto said:

From Ben's Breakdown on 3downnation:

"What makes football more intense than other North American team sports is how few games there are. Extreme emotional highs and lows stem from the fact that a win in the CFL is equivalent to a nine-game winning streak in Major League Baseball, and a loss, a nine-game losing streak. In baseball terms, the Saskatchewan Roughriders closed out their season with 63 straight losses."

All I know about the CFL is that the first 9 games are nice and everything but you find out who your team truly is in the last 9. The Riders found out. If you can't raise the bar or even maintain it then your team is in big trouble. That's two years in a row for them, and that makes me believe there are not many winners in that room.

Edited by GCn20

43 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

All I know about the CFL is that the first 9 games are nice and everything but you find out who your team truly is in the last 9. The Riders found out. If you can't raise the bar or even maintain it then your team is in big trouble. That's two years in a row for them, and that makes me believe there are not many winners in that room.

Which makes it even more baffling that Oday got a 3 yr extension....as his finger prints are all over that mess in they guys he brought in, as well as the areas he has failed to address  going on 3 yrs now.

Sure Dickiboi is a lousy HC....But how a GM of a team that has gone from 13-5...to 9-5....and then back to back 6-12 seasons...in which they have lost the last 7 in each of those seasons can escape the knife is just baffling....like WTF....and the fact the Board there made the decision to can the Coach without even consulting him first, but only after they told him he would be retained is even more comical.....What a complete circus there, and good luck having any sort of progress for at least 2 yrs

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

Which makes it even more baffling that Oday got a 3 yr extension....as his finger prints are all over that mess in they guys he brought in, as well as the areas he has failed to address  going on 3 yrs now.

Sure Dickiboi is a lousy HC....But how a GM of a team that has gone from 13-5...to 9-5....and then back to back 6-12 seasons...in which they have lost the last 7 in each of those seasons can escape the knife is just baffling....like WTF....and the fact the Board there made the decision to can the Coach without even consulting him first, but only after they told him he would be retained is even more comical.....What a complete circus there, and good luck having any sort of progress for at least 2 yrs

it is baffling for sure...but tire fires rarely make good decisions.

Just now, GCn20 said:

it is baffling for sure...but tire fires rarely make good decisions.

nope....and I'm not complainin' hahaha

Wonder what they are gonna do with that contract they have with Harris...and 250k due in feb.....especially if no coach yet...or if they looking for a new OC....Or a HC/OC combo?....Imagine retaining him before you hire a guy, and then the new guy isn't really too keen on that old sac o bones....that would make things even more entertaining

1 hour ago, Booch said:

nope....and I'm not complainin' hahaha

Wonder what they are gonna do with that contract they have with Harris...and 250k due in feb.....especially if no coach yet...or if they looking for a new OC....Or a HC/OC combo?....Imagine retaining him before you hire a guy, and then the new guy isn't really too keen on that old sac o bones....that would make things even more entertaining

They HAVE to move on from Harris at this point I would think. Just no point in bringing back a guy on his absolute last legs of his career. However, as I've said all along I fully expect the Riders to make the wrong decision on this and bring him back only to lose him for the season again because his bones are brittle now. Instead they will watch as Dru Brown or another young QB emerges that they should have targeted in FA instead....probably beating them out for a playoff spot too.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, Noeller said:

You know Harris wants to go out with a bang. He'll give it all he has from now til the end of their season.... Question is, what does he have left?

We have to take care of business in the West final and after we do don't care who we play in the GC but an upset in the East final would be delicious.

Relevancy here? After the East final what AH has left becomes a moot point would be delicious.

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

didn't seem like much in games he played....And from what Oullette gives them/brings and that other young Canadian....Having Harris pooch reps would almost be taking a step back

I'm curious about how healthy Ouellette is. He's been dinged for at least a few weeks now and they've been limiting his reps. Not sure if it's serious or not, but they MIGHT need Harris yet....

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

All I know about the CFL is that the first 9 games are nice and everything but you find out who your team truly is in the last 9.

yup, just like the 2011 and 2014 Bombers.  Come blazing out of the gates in the summertime, lack of depth gets exposed, stagger to the finish, then regress badly the next year.

(yeah, I know we were Grey Cup finalists in 2011. That was a big fluke -- my time machine says that we would have lost the east final had the TiCats not beat Montreal in the ESF)

21 minutes ago, Booch said:

didn't seem like much in games he played....And from what Oullette gives them/brings and that other young Canadian....Having Harris pooch reps would almost be taking a step back

I think they’ll use him in 2 back sets as mostly a wr. I can’t see them bringing him back next year though. I have a small inkling that he isn’t going to want to go out after this year too. 

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm curious about how healthy Ouellette is. He's been dinged for at least a few weeks now and they've been limiting his reps. Not sure if it's serious or not, but they MIGHT need Harris yet....

Is he actually dinged up or is it the late season load management? 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What a joke. He was never injured to begin with. Just Dinwiddie fooling with the roster. If we play him in the GC, I hope our D pounds the **** out of him. 

You know, everytime Harris touches the ball & has a decent run, he'll act like he's insulted because we wouldn't pay him big bucks to play behind Oliveira. Yet, perfectly content to play behind play behind Ouelette because the Argos paid him. The angry running back act that he pulls off gets old after awhile. If he was the #1 back for the Argos he'd have been out for good by now. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27