CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

11 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

A stable, competitive ALs franchise is really big for the cfl. If they can finally sort out the stadium that’d be fantastic but it’s been an issue for soo long I’m not holding my breath. 

17 hours ago, Booch said:

he was 100 percent ticked...offended...figured he didn't have to prove he was healthy and in shape, but could still ask for a high salary and to not be a back-up.....ironically....he took a back up role in T.O so the ego still was hit, but T.O paid him starter money for what he was doing there....and based on his play this yr....he should have really hung em up after 2022....Selfish taking reps from some young guys on roster

He was Toronto's starting RB at the beginning of last season. It was his injury that pushed Ouellette into that spot.

20 hours ago, bluto said:

Going to be a lot of 6-game fookery happening to allow us to hit our cap numbers. Guys like Muamba and Bladek are still floating around.

Muamba and Bladek have already served two stints on the six and are now starting their third. It's likely neither plays this year, IMO. That's a lot of money saved against the cap. Harris is now starting on the six as well, so a third of his salary will be saved. They'll be able to use these savings to give one-game rests to key players down the stretch (starting with Ouellette today), and it's possible they'll use some (maybe already have) to re-sign some key guys with up-front bonus money. Smart cap management.

On 2023-09-22 at 1:26 PM, bluto said:

Think that he was legit mad? I read it more as if it was the competitive fire of a star veteran who didn't like being supplanted by the newer model. 

So, he sulks & ******* leaving us only to lose his starting spot with the Argos to Ouelette. I don't remember Harris complaining when that happened. That's what bothers me. If he felt disrespected here by Walters & O'Shea then how come he didn't feel disrrspected by Dinwiddie & Pinball? Oh yeah, he got paid. 

On 2023-09-22 at 6:44 PM, wbbfan said:

A stable, competitive ALs franchise is really big for the cfl. If they can finally sort out the stadium that’d be fantastic but it’s been an issue for soo long I’m not holding my breath. 

The Team Prez says a new stadium is off the table. They want to renovate Percival Molson Stadium. The place is 113 years old. Just how many times can you put lipstick on a pig?

16 hours ago, pw13 said:

He was Toronto's starting RB at the beginning of last season. It was his injury that pushed Ouellette into that spot.

Oh an injury. That's part of the game  & that is what Harris was dealing with his final season here. Just pure ego & selfishness. Pay me or else. Or else meant the Argos & look where he is. Backing up Ouelette, a guy he probably thinks isn't as good as him but he was still being paid to sit getting limited reps. Now he's been 6 gamed on the IR.

People in Toronto have the best team in the league, current Grey Cup Champs and they still get peanuts for attendance. Perhaps they still think of the CFL as inferior and long for an NFL team. Unfortunately it looks like the NFL has no interest in Toronto as they have shifted their sights across the pond to the UK and Germany and now are looking at Spain and Brazil to house some games.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Team Prez says a new stadium is off the table. They want to renovate Percival Molson Stadium. The place is 113 years old. Just how many times can you put lipstick on a pig?

Oh an injury. That's part of the game  & that is what Harris was dealing with his final season here. Just pure ego & selfishness. Pay me or else. Or else meant the Argos & look where he is. Backing up Ouelette, a guy he probably thinks isn't as good as him but he was still being paid to sit getting limited reps. Now he's been 6 gamed on the IR.

Soo true. Unless you do a massive near complete stand area rebuild and basically build a new stadium around the field I can’t see it working out. 
 Is exhibition stadium really soo bad that it couldn’t be updated? I’ve heard rumblings a few times the last year or so about about the mlb returning to Montreal. That might be their best chance. 

I have a hard time understanding how Winnipeg and Saskatchewan, publicly owned teams can get new stadiums built but places like Montreal can’t. They get like 7b in redistribution payments every year. They have private owners with deep pockets who could kick in far more than us. 

37 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Soo true. Unless you do a massive near complete stand area rebuild and basically build a new stadium around the field I can’t see it working out. 
 Is exhibition stadium really soo bad that it couldn’t be updated? I’ve heard rumblings a few times the last year or so about about the mlb returning to Montreal. That might be their best chance. 

I have a hard time understanding how Winnipeg and Saskatchewan, publicly owned teams can get new stadiums built but places like Montreal can’t. They get like 7b in redistribution payments every year. They have private owners with deep pockets who could kick in far more than us. 

The same question is asked here in YYC. We have tons of oil money & a billionaire who owns the Stamps a couple of times over in Murray Edwards & nothing ever gets done. The Flames (whom he also owns) proposed a new arena in 2015 & here we are... Eight years later. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

Ultra rich don't spend their own money, Jacksonville in the NFL is asking for 1 billion to renovate and Khan is stupid rich. Oh if you don't give us the money we might move. Apparently the folks in Jacksonville don't seem to care if they move

You’re right, but they do leverage it. Especially in sports. 

23 hours ago, bustamente said:

Ultra rich don't spend their own money, Jacksonville in the NFL is asking for 1 billion to renovate and Khan is stupid rich. Oh if you don't give us the money we might move. Apparently the folks in Jacksonville don't seem to care if they move

Go to move almost every time. Throw in 'resulting in massive job losses' for good measure.