CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

Just now, Noeller said:

I don't but a word of it.

Edmonton board is an old boys club who needs everyone on staff to march in step and tell them how awesome they are at all times. The fact that Cui was trying to make changes implied that they were doing things wrong and they can't have that. Just like when Eddie Steele was fired from his radio job for being critical of the club. 

24 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I don't but a word of it.

Edmonton board is an old boys club who needs everyone on staff to march in step and tell them how awesome they are at all times. The fact that Cui was trying to make changes implied that they were doing things wrong and they can't have that. Just like when Eddie Steele was fired from his radio job for being critical of the club. 

....or...maybe....Cui isn't that good at the job. He's a great PR guy. But what about everything else?

17 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

....or...maybe....Cui isn't that good at the job. He's a great PR guy. But what about everything else?

1. Everything that ails the Elks isn't under Cui's purview. 

2. The board has a history of making these types of decisions (to the detriment of their club).

3. The mismanagement predates Cui.

Again, I don't buy a word of anything that comes out of the club. The only good PR and sense of good faith came from Cui. 

31 minutes ago, Jesse said:

1. Everything that ails the Elks isn't under Cui's purview. 

2. The board has a history of making these types of decisions (to the detriment of their club).

3. The mismanagement predates Cui.

Again, I don't buy a word of anything that comes out of the club. The only good PR and sense of good faith came from Cui. 

I agree with everything you've said. That still doesn't mean Cui was good at his job.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

I agree with everything you've said. That still doesn't mean Cui was good at his job.

No, it just means the board isn't capable of knowing whether he was or was not doing a good job.

I'm also convinced this is Cui walking away, not getting fired.

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

I think Cui said “**** it” and left. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

that's my thought... he desperately wanted to make changes and the board wouldn't let him, so he said "aiiigh, I'm out...." 

sounds about right. 

I can almost see them not firing jones even if they go winless. That whole board needs to be canned. 

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

That’s true. I don’t think he was there or supported nearly enough to do a good or bad job. It’s just a massive wasted opportunity for Edmonton. They have zero chance of attracting a front office guy with a fraction of his success potential or connections. 

20 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

At this point... the CFL reffkng and the ******* command center are a ******* joke... instead of making the right call at any point, initially or as a correction they double down and post **** like this;

And this statement or "reason" is not a reason at all other than, "because we say so".... 

**** them.

I see @BaconNBigBlue disagrees- good, I would some sane explanation as to why that was not flagged. Honestly, if you disagree, I would be more than happy to hear your take on it. 

I was disagreeing with the Tweet not you.  I 100% disagree that it was a good call.  Late on a downed player and a hit to the head.  The player could have easily "jumped" over.  If you watch it, he actually drags his knee and hits Zach in the head with it.

Edited by BaconNBigBlue

14 minutes ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

I was disagreeing with the Tweet not you.  I 100% disagree that it was a good call.  Late on a downed player and a hit to the head.  The player could have easily "jumped" over.  If you watch it, he actually drags his knee and hits Zach in the head with it.

Shoot- I was hoping someone could actually give a good reason why it wasn't flagged. 

Thanks for clarifying.

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Why do you think he has that kind of money?

He worked for a MMA promotion in Asia.

He’s worth 100 mill, and closely connected to more money than most of the private owners in this league are. Are you familiar with some of the guys invested in one? 
 Montreal, Halifax etc have frequently seen ownership groups worth a whole lot less and connected to a less than he has. 
He could put up an ownership group via text in about 30 seconds. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He’s worth 100 mill, and closely connected to more money than most of the private owners in this league are. Are you familiar with some of the guys invested in one? 
 Montreal, Halifax etc have frequently seen ownership groups worth a whole lot less and connected to a less than he has. 
He could put up an ownership group via text in about 30 seconds. 

Someone worth 100 million isn't working for anyone else.

27 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Neither of the Alberta teams will be sustainable without a stadium.  Same goes for Montreal.

Edmonton obviously better than Calgary but stadium coming up on 50 years and not ideal really ever.  Calgary coming to 65-70 years old and total dump.

believe it or not...Commonwealth has top notch facilities and amenities....actually up into the influx of the new NFL stadiums.....they put many NFL teams digs to shame and rivalled many others.....go figure eh?...Havn't been in that stadium in yrs, but from what I know it has been up-kept very well, its just so cavernous and at moment while team is floundering, looks like a grave yard with 17 to 25k people in it...even with mid 30k attendance it looks sorta empty.....stadiums like that set up for athletic games are not cozy and intimate venues for football

Cgy tho is a right dump, and antiquated...they need a new facility, or do the total reno-reconfiguration process one side at a time, as I not sure they have an alternate place in CGY to hold games where you hold over 10k attendees.... 

46 minutes ago, bb1 said:

DC maybe, HC he is probably done.

Jones seems to have an unquenchable thirst for power. Who'd want him as their coordinator? You'd always be side-eyeing him, wondering when he'd swipe your gig with that metaphorical broadsword. And don't be surprised when he bolts for greener pastures leaving you holding the bag, just like he's done time and time again in the CFL. Team player? Nah, it's all about Team Jones. He's a wannabe Belichick, minus the actual talent and success – which just makes him a jerk.

34 minutes ago, Booch said:

believe it or not...Commonwealth has top notch facilities and amenities....actually up into the influx of the new NFL stadiums.....they put many NFL teams digs to shame and rivalled many others.....go figure eh?...Havn't been in that stadium in yrs, but from what I know it has been up-kept very well, its just so cavernous and at moment while team is floundering, looks like a grave yard with 17 to 25k people in it...even with mid 30k attendance it looks sorta empty.....stadiums like that set up for athletic games are not cozy and intimate venues for football

Cgy tho is a right dump, and antiquated...they need a new facility, or do the total reno-reconfiguration process one side at a time, as I not sure they have an alternate place in CGY to hold games where you hold over 10k attendees.... 

There is nothing wrong with CW outside of it being too big. They have renovated and maintained it to a high level. 

Just now, Geebrr said:

There is nothing wrong with CW outside of it being too big. They have renovated and maintained it to a high level. 

yup....and no way they can make it more intimate either based on the set backs for the track that was there....you could add field level seats, but those suck for viewing a game

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup....and no way they can make it more intimate either based on the set backs for the track that was there....you could add field level seats, but those suck for viewing a game

Yeah exactly - there is really nothing they can do. It is one of , maybe the largest, stadiums in Canada and I don’t think they’re looking to re-configure it much.