2023 CFL Draft Discussion

He had a pretty good playoff game against the Bisons (3 picks) but I haven't seen a lot of draft talk about him. JC Abbott from 3DN had him in the honorable mentions section of of an early top 25 article he did but haven't seen much else yet.

He's supposed to be participating in the combine in a few weeks so I would expect to hear more after that.

https://3downnation.com/2022/08/01/3downnations-way-too-early-top-25-2023-cfl-draft-prospects/

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

A national linebacker who can rotate this year and potentially start down the road would be nice. I'd love to see us add a de who could rotate this year.

@JuranBoldenRuleswhich dline prospects do you like?

I bet we can get the Winnipeg kid from Ham when his rookie deal expire at DE for a nice national rotation piece

5 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

You know what? That’s a really important point. I totally forgot he was pretty open about his struggles. As someone with some pretty tough mental wellness issues I’m the last one who should be judgemental. 

If people had known (more) about anxiety in the 80s, my athletic career would have been a lot better... I truly believe that. Athletic ability has always been there, to a degree, but anxiety completely derails me when I'm involved in anything even remotely competitive...

11 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

A national linebacker who can rotate this year and potentially start down the road would be nice. I'd love to see us add a de who could rotate this year.

@JuranBoldenRuleswhich dline prospects do you like?

This draft will be very interesting.  There's about 10 guys that are probably NFL players for how long that last for them.  Will be interesting to see how far they drop.  Bombers could be a team to take a swing on one of them in the first couple rounds.

There's also a lot of depth in the draft, and Canadian depth in general around right now.  The draft is pretty heavy on linemen both ways and LB's.  Not much for "skill" guys.  Not sure if that makes those "skill" guys more of a target early or not.

Korte-Moore is a great pass rusher in Canada West.  I think he'll be gone before the Bombers pick.  He's a guy that probably isn't quite good enough to get the NFL look, but might I suppose depending on his testing.  He's an end from UBC, kind of hard to judge him because OL play in CanWest hasn't been great last couple years.  Most of the guys who will be CFLers on the line are his teammates.  Don't think he'll play anything but end in CFL.

Anthony Bennett, Regina by way of FLA and will qualify as a national.  Great rush end in Canada West, on lighter side but could be one of those "ratio breakers" and certainly a guy who will be able to be in rotation.  Let's just say though he feasted on shitty teams (like the Bisons)...didn't do much vs Sask.

Bemiy from Southern Utah might be gone earlier than the Bombers pick too.  Probably available right away.  Kind of a Sayles type.  Would be able to rotate inside and outside.

I watched Seguin at UND a lot, he transferred to another FCS school.  Another inside-outside guy but I think likely to be a 3-technique guy in CFL.

Obiang out of Texas State, where Dobson finished up, is an interesting one.  Nose tackle type.  Will be interesting to see how he tests at whatever pro day's he does, don't think he's participating in any of the Canadian combines.

Sambu out of Maine, again where Dobson played until his last year, played a lot of OLB, stand up end.  Likely to be a solid special teamer, probably like a 4th-5th round pick, came from a prep school too that a few of our Manitoban players who ended up down south went through.

Bonhomme out of South Alabama via Indiana via the prep school circuit, huge recruit, another guy who played with a bunch of Manitoban kids in prep school.  Stand up end type, played all LB spots in States but bet he's a rush end up here.  Could be a great value pick mid draft, think he won't get NFL look.

Schmekel, another Regina guy, greasy looking guy, big but agile, nose tackle type, dominant career in Canada West basically from day 1.  I think he'll kill a lot of guys at the combine 1 v 1.

Bison guys:

Kornelson...not sure he's a DL in the CFL.  Think a team might turn him around to OG.  He's got the OL body.  Probably run about 5.6 at the combine.

Francis...3 technique type in CFL I think, played weak end for Bisons, basketball guy, got BIG later in high school so he has pretty good feet.  Could be another turn around candidate to OL.

Viner-Cox...tweener 3 technique type, played a bit of both for Bisons.  Not sure he has the explosiveness to make the jump.

14 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

This draft will be very interesting.  There's about 10 guys that are probably NFL players for how long that last for them.  Will be interesting to see how far they drop.  Bombers could be a team to take a swing on one of them in the first couple rounds.

There's also a lot of depth in the draft, and Canadian depth in general around right now.  The draft is pretty heavy on linemen both ways and LB's.  Not much for "skill" guys.  Not sure if that makes those "skill" guys more of a target early or not.

Korte-Moore is a great pass rusher in Canada West.  I think he'll be gone before the Bombers pick.  He's a guy that probably isn't quite good enough to get the NFL look, but might I suppose depending on his testing.  He's an end from UBC, kind of hard to judge him because OL play in CanWest hasn't been great last couple years.  Most of the guys who will be CFLers on the line are his teammates.  Don't think he'll play anything but end in CFL.

Anthony Bennett, Regina by way of FLA and will qualify as a national.  Great rush end in Canada West, on lighter side but could be one of those "ratio breakers" and certainly a guy who will be able to be in rotation.  Let's just say though he feasted on shitty teams (like the Bisons)...didn't do much vs Sask.

Bemiy from Southern Utah might be gone earlier than the Bombers pick too.  Probably available right away.  Kind of a Sayles type.  Would be able to rotate inside and outside.

I watched Seguin at UND a lot, he transferred to another FCS school.  Another inside-outside guy but I think likely to be a 3-technique guy in CFL.

Obiang out of Texas State, where Dobson finished up, is an interesting one.  Nose tackle type.  Will be interesting to see how he tests at whatever pro day's he does, don't think he's participating in any of the Canadian combines.

Sambu out of Maine, again where Dobson played until his last year, played a lot of OLB, stand up end.  Likely to be a solid special teamer, probably like a 4th-5th round pick, came from a prep school too that a few of our Manitoban players who ended up down south went through.

Bonhomme out of South Alabama via Indiana via the prep school circuit, huge recruit, another guy who played with a bunch of Manitoban kids in prep school.  Stand up end type, played all LB spots in States but bet he's a rush end up here.  Could be a great value pick mid draft, think he won't get NFL look.

Schmekel, another Regina guy, greasy looking guy, big but agile, nose tackle type, dominant career in Canada West basically from day 1.  I think he'll kill a lot of guys at the combine 1 v 1.

Bison guys:

Kornelson...not sure he's a DL in the CFL.  Think a team might turn him around to OG.  He's got the OL body.  Probably run about 5.6 at the combine.

Francis...3 technique type in CFL I think, played weak end for Bisons, basketball guy, got BIG later in high school so he has pretty good feet.  Could be another turn around candidate to OL.

Viner-Cox...tweener 3 technique type, played a bit of both for Bisons.  Not sure he has the explosiveness to make the jump.

I am sure we will take the BPA approach to the draft again. No glaring needs that fit the draft rankings, at least in the first round.

Edited by GCn20

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

interesting tidbit about the upcoming CFL combines..... Osh Jr got an invite after his play with Okanagan.... curious to see if he shows up on any draft boards. 

If any GM, other than KW, tries to draft him, they're going to be made an offer they can't refuse...

main-qimg-070d7c630f1534ef54a1b4878378ad3a-pjlq

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I am sure we will take the BPA approach to the draft again. No glaring needs that fit the draft rankings, at least in the first round.

I think we have a pretty glaring need on D, secondary but really any spot where someone could fit as a backup/rotational guy.  But it doesn’t necessarily have to be the draft or the first round pick that remedies it.

Also depth at RB/Receiver where we probably want to maintain 3 starters.

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Don't teams have territorial rights to junior players anymore or does Michael O'Shea not quality because he played university ball?

Anybody who ever enrolls at the university level goes through the draft.  He was at Guelph right out of high school.

• 4 weeks later...