2023 CFL Draft Discussion

52 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I need to review and upload the video but just standing on the deck last night was spectacular.

I have been told that even those in the city could see them through the light pollution that is city living. I have not seen anything so bright and intense since the summer I spent in Pukatawagon.

I have been far enough north (Ile A La Cross) that I actually heard the "swishing" sounds they made

Nice little read about the Bombers approach to the combine.  Of particular note as it relates to the upcoming draft and what we might do:

"As well, the club has asked Cole Adamson – a defensive tackle from the Manitoba Bisons drafted in the fourth round a year ago – to switch to the other side of the ball."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/03/24/first-10-combine-update/

21 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Nice little read about the Bombers approach to the combine.  Of particular note as it relates to the upcoming draft and what we might do:

"As well, the club has asked Cole Adamson – a defensive tackle from the Manitoba Bisons drafted in the fourth round a year ago – to switch to the other side of the ball."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/03/24/first-10-combine-update/

Interesting. Kind of makes sense for his play style. He was kind of an undersized gap canceller at dt. I wonder if they project him as a tackle or guard. He’s tall long and athletic but not super heavy. I hope they really give the guy a shot and sit him on the pr for a while and bring him back next year. That’s the kind of position switch that could take some time. 

On 2023-03-25 at 1:26 AM, Noeller said:

There is absolutely no way I would live stream the combine if I was the CFL. No chance I would give XFL/USFL/NFL scouts free and easy access to see the players measurables that we are hoping to recruit. For the price of zero they get to take a look at our best prospects and see how they stack up? No thanks.

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

There is absolutely no way I would live stream the combine if I was the CFL. No chance I would give XFL/USFL/NFL scouts free and easy access to see the players measurables that we are hoping to recruit. For the price of zero they get to take a look at our best prospects and see how they stack up? No thanks.

That’s a loser mentality in my opinion.

There is no way I am changing the way I operate based on some potential advantage it might give a couple of leagues that won’t be around in two years. I am not capping our ceiling because it might raise their floor a bit.

17 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The CFL is already sharing that information freely, just not live with a live stream.  If anyone wants that info, it's available to them.

Edited by bigg jay

On 2023-03-25 at 8:34 PM, wbbfan said:

Interesting. Kind of makes sense for his play style. He was kind of an undersized gap canceller at dt. I wonder if they project him as a tackle or guard. He’s tall long and athletic but not super heavy. I hope they really give the guy a shot and sit him on the pr for a while and bring him back next year. That’s the kind of position switch that could take some time. 

How is he undersized?  He weights more than Thomas.

18 hours ago, Jesse said:

That’s a loser mentality in my opinion.

There is no way I am changing the way I operate based on some potential advantage it might give a couple of leagues that won’t be around in two years. I am not capping our ceiling because it might raise their floor a bit.

Loser mentality? Who the hell do you think the CFL is? We are not in any position to be taking the high road on player recruitment particularly when in it comes to NAT talent. We have seen a significant drain on top end CFL talent over the past few years, and yes some of them are opting for the spring leagues as well. 

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Loser mentality? Who the hell do you think the CFL is? We are not in any position to be taking the high road on player recruitment particularly when in it comes to NAT talent. We have seen a significant drain on top end CFL talent over the past few years, and yes some of them are opting for the spring leagues as well. 

I think the CFL is a marketing dinosaur who doesn't know how to sell their product and hasn't for 20 years. 

I think there is incredible untapped potential to grow the game.

I would not limit that progress because others might be watching. That's the point, get people to watch.

I do not consider it taking the high road, I consider the secrecy cutting our own legs out.

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Regardless....if someone is good enough to be on the NFL radar, they will be. Combine or not. Other Canadian talent that might opt for the other 2 leagues wouldn't be recruited from Uni ball. Too much talent down south for them to really care....at the moment anyway. They would get recruited via pro film/try outs.

12 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Regardless....if someone is good enough to be on the NFL radar, they will be. Combine or not. Other Canadian talent that might opt for the other 2 leagues wouldn't be recruited from Uni ball. Too much talent down south for them to really care....at the moment anyway. They would get recruited via pro film/try outs.

That is exactly my point. Don't give the USFL/XFL any leg up on whose film to watch. NFL is NFL we aren't going to stop them and each of our top recruits will have their agents sending tape and their measurables to every team. The spring leagues can go pound sand and I wouldn't be running live stream combines so that they can look at measurables. We have lost top guys to the spring leagues already. We were lucky to get Dobson back, for instance. I don't think that livestreaming the combine would do much to spark fan interest, and would hurt our retention rate amongst the top of our draft classes. It's my opinion and I freely admit it could be wrong, but right now that's how I see it. 

The CFL does need better marketing to be sure, and a better and more accessible TV deal etc etc.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

That is exactly my point. Don't give the USFL/XFL any leg up on whose film to watch. NFL is NFL we aren't going to stop them and each of our top recruits will have their agents sending tape and their measurables to every team. The spring leagues can go pound sand and I wouldn't be running live stream combines so that they can look at measurables. We have lost top guys to the spring leagues already. We were lucky to get Dobson back, for instance. I don't think that livestreaming the combine would do much to spark fan interest, and would hurt our retention rate amongst the top of our draft classes. It's my opinion and I freely admit it could be wrong, but right now that's how I see it. 

The CFL does need better marketing to be sure, and a better and more accessible TV deal etc etc.

We didn't get Dobson because the spring league let him go. We got Dobson back because the NFL wasn't interested, even after the spring league. His financial ceiling is much higher in the CFL than anywhere else currently.

Again, I doubt many scouts from xfl/usfl would be scouring the Usports combine to find guys when they have a plethora of talent easily available in their own country. If they want anyone from Canada it'll be because of what they've shown in the CFL, not the combine.

Edited by Bigblue204

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

We didn't get Dobson because the spring league let him go. We got Dobson back because the NFL wasn't interested, even after the spring league. His financial ceiling is much higher in the CFL than anywhere else currently.

Again, I doubt many scouts from xfl/usfl would be scouring the Usports combine to find guys when they have a plethora of talent easily available in their own country. If they want anyone from Canada it'll be because of what they've shown in the CFL, not the combine.

We got Dobson back because his contract was voided when he had work visa issues. Had nothing to do with the NFL. If he doesn't have visa issues he is in the USFL right now. Dobson did not choose the CFL.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

We got Dobson back because his contract was voided when he had work visa issues. Had nothing to do with the NFL. If he doesn't have visa issues he is in the USFL right now. Dobson did not choose the CFL.

Yes you are correct. I had forgotten about that. Though I disagree that he'd still be in the usfl assuming his NFL interest dried up. As a Canadian that's the only reason to play down there right now.