2023 CFL Draft Discussion

35 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

4th round pick:

Tanner Schmekel, University of Regina (Regina, Ssk.)

A monster in the middle for the Rams, Schmekel is a bull-strong, 290-pound gap plugger who is almost impossible to move off his spot. A team is liable to fall in love with his positional discipline and physicality on tape, but his below-average athletic ability and mere 30-inch arms limit his potential.

Last name Schmekel ,that is an unfortunate last name to live with🤫

Edited by bb1

6th round pick:

Breton MacDougall, University of Windsor (LaSalle, Ont.)

At six-foot-two and 208 pounds, MacDougall offers plenty of size in a draft class that is light on it. A true safety-only prospect, he’s upright and stiff when changing directions but packs a wallop as a tackler and will bring value on kick coverage.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/30/2023-cfl-draft-position-rankings-defensive-backs/

Just now, bigg jay said:

6th round pick:

Breton MacDougall, University of Windsor (LaSalle, Ont.)

At six-foot-two and 208 pounds, MacDougall offers plenty of size in a draft class that is light on it. A true safety-only prospect, he’s upright and stiff when changing directions but packs a wallop as a tackler and will bring value on kick coverage.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/30/2023-cfl-draft-position-rankings-defensive-backs/

Another teams prospect. Gonna be a real battle in camp for kick cover spots. Not expecting to see futures or ol at this point 

7th round pick:

Jonathan Rosery, University of Alberta (Edmonton, Alta.)

A converted running back with a thick lower body, the five-foot-eight, 199-pounder posed a match-up challenge in space at the collegiate level but is not polished as a pass catcher. While his change of direction is solid, Rosery’s small stature, average explosiveness and poor long speed make him a difficult CFL projection.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/26/2023-cfl-draft-position-rankings-receivers/

Riders take Tavius Robinson with their last pick.  Was hoping the Bombers would have used one of their late picks on him.

Last pick: 

Max Charbonneau, University of Ottawa (Ottawa, Ont.)

The least productive of Ottawa’s draft-eligible linebacking corps, Charbonneau has the most pro-ready frame at six-foot-two and 224 pounds. He’s not a special athlete in any one area but has the skill set to contribute on special teams.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/29/2023-cfl-draft-position-rankings-linebackers/

John Hodge’s pick analysis is incredible on 3DN

Bull was their 9th ranked prospect, picked 1st overall. Hodge Verdict? “I like this pick”

Brodrique ranked 13th by 3DN, picked 2nd. Hodge Verdict? “Makes sense for Edmonton”

Korte-Moore ranked 11th by 3DN, picked 3rd. Hodge Verdict? “Good use of resources”

laughable

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Everybody thinks they're experts on the Draft. These are all unknowns. Selecting them is a dice throw in a crap shoot. We know the Bombers & other teams have done their due dilligence but John Hodge? 

It’s really all about team fit too. That gets talked about nowhere near enough as it relates to the CFL Draft.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

It’s really all about team fit too. That gets talked about nowhere near enough as it relates to the CFL Draft.

I had a friend of mine yesterday ask me why the Stamps drafted three receivers when they have needs elsewhere. I think what happned with this draft is that so many quality Canadian players got drafted or were signed by NFL teams as free agents that most teams lists were chucked out the window. I think teams just drafted the best player available in their mind when their turn came.

Other than that, I have zero knowledge of the players taken so I won't comment further. I defer to you as the expert here regarding the draft. :)

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Do you guys think anyone will give O'Shea's boy a camp invite?  It costs them nothing.  I could see Hamilton or Toronto doing it as good PR more than anything. I think Winnipeg doesn't want to because it would be an unnecessary distraction for the coach and the locker room. The last thing they need is something that could disrupt the trust and respect in the locker room.

8 hours ago, Mike said:

John Hodge’s pick analysis is incredible on 3DN

Bull was their 9th ranked prospect, picked 1st overall. Hodge Verdict? “I like this pick”

Brodrique ranked 13th by 3DN, picked 2nd. Hodge Verdict? “Makes sense for Edmonton”

Korte-Moore ranked 11th by 3DN, picked 3rd. Hodge Verdict? “Good use of resources”

laughable

I get that it might be harder to say something about guys picked towards the end of the draft but there is literally zero analysis here. 

8 (65) Edmonton Elks — RB Derek Best, Langley Rams

The former Western Mustang ran the ball 43 times for 277 yards and three touchdowns over nine career CJFL games for the Rams.

8 (70) B.C. Lions — OL Troy Kowal, Minot State

The native of High River, Alta. was a two-year starter with the Beavers who performed 10 reps of 225 pounds at the CFL Invitational Combine.

12 hours ago, bigg jay said:

7th round pick:

Jonathan Rosery, University of Alberta (Edmonton, Alta.)

A converted running back with a thick lower body, the five-foot-eight, 199-pounder posed a match-up challenge in space at the collegiate level but is not polished as a pass catcher. While his change of direction is solid, Rosery’s small stature, average explosiveness and poor long speed make him a difficult CFL projection.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/26/2023-cfl-draft-position-rankings-receivers/

Saw him up close as my son's first year with U of A was last year as well played with him his first year of high school football.

Great guy, great teammate, humble.

Edited by HardCoreBlue
Saw not some dum dum

doesn't seem like anyone to get too excited about from this draft... guys like Bennett, Murphy, and Kornelson sound like Bomber-type players... hopefully we'll get some solid teamers or maybe we get lucky and someone emerges as a legit starter...

Just keep an eye on how Black and Ringland develop in Ham and BC... so when they are ready to hit the open market and ready to come home... 

Just now, bearpants said:

doesn't seem like anyone to get too excited about from this draft... guys like Bennett, Murphy, and Kornelson sound like Bomber-type players... hopefully we'll get some solid teamers or maybe we get lucky and someone emerges as a legit starter...

Just keep an eye on how Black and Ringland develop in Ham and BC... so when they are ready to hit the open market and ready to come home... 

I think that's the feeling across the league.  The panel also touched on that a bit last night.  There were no trades at all and the panel figured it was because there wasn't really anybody who stood out as a "must have" type of player that you'd be willing to give something up for. 

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

Love that we got Kornelson. The profile Tait wrote makes him seem like the ultimate Mafia guy. Just a super nice kid who wants to do things the right way. It nothing else he's gonna fit in really well. 

I watch a lot of RSEQ football. Bomber fans will like Jeremy Murphy. Great hands, sneaky fast, good route runner, makes tough catches. One of those guys who would put up 100 yards and a couple of touchdowns against my son's team McGill, and make it look effortless. Steps up in big moments.

And I'm thrilled for Collin Kornelson! I coached him way back in the youth football days with the upstart Valour Patriots football team. Was a great teammate and player then, and still is now. 

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

I watch a lot of RSEQ football. Bomber fans will like Jeremy Murphy. Great hands, sneaky fast, good route runner, makes tough catches. One of those guys who would put up 100 yards and a couple of touchdowns against my son's team McGill, and make it look effortless. Steps up in big moments.

And I'm thrilled for Collin Kornelson! I coached him way back in the youth football days with the upstart Valour Patriots football team. Was a great teammate and player then, and still is now. 

Murphy sounds like Nic Demski 2.0.

15 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Looking forward to hearing from Walters after the draft to find out what the thinking was behind the pick.

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/03/bombers-gm-kyle-walters-anthony-bennett-brings-same-positive-energy-as-willie-jefferson/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

When it comes to the draft, teams often talk about taking the best player available regardless of position. It was refreshing to hear Walters admit the opposite was true for Winnipeg this year as they specifically targeted areas they identified as needs.

“The plan going in was we wanted some defensive line help, we wanted a free safety, and a receiver,” he said. “We thought the best plan of attack to get them was in that order based on the way we thought the draft and the depth might fall.”