2023 CFL Draft Discussion

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

That is exactly my point. Don't give the USFL/XFL any leg up on whose film to watch. NFL is NFL we aren't going to stop them and each of our top recruits will have their agents sending tape and their measurables to every team. The spring leagues can go pound sand and I wouldn't be running live stream combines so that they can look at measurables. We have lost top guys to the spring leagues already. We were lucky to get Dobson back, for instance. I don't think that livestreaming the combine would do much to spark fan interest, and would hurt our retention rate amongst the top of our draft classes. It's my opinion and I freely admit it could be wrong, but right now that's how I see it. 

The CFL does need better marketing to be sure, and a better and more accessible TV deal etc etc.

What top guys have we lost as a league...I can't recall any

44 minutes ago, Booch said:

What top guys have we lost as a league...I can't recall any

Liam Dobson was the first. However, there is talk that at least 2 of the projected top 10 picks in this draft may be leaning towards the spring leagues if they can't catch on in the NFL right away according to Farhan.

Edited by GCn20

On 2023-03-27 at 8:40 PM, CrazyCanuck89 said:

How is he undersized?  He weights more than Thomas.

He’s a good 3-4 inches taller and listed as 265 with the bisons, Jake is him self undersized as a dt but a good bit removed from weighing 276.  He was a 2 sport guy in hs playing pretty good basketball. He is a very different body type than jake. 
Reminds me a lot of Brett MacNeil actually. 

5 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yes you are correct. I had forgotten about that. Though I disagree that he'd still be in the usfl assuming his NFL interest dried up. As a Canadian that's the only reason to play down there right now.

He would still be under contract. We wouldn't have had him last year or this year..maybe we get him in 2024.

Edited by GCn20

14 hours ago, wbbfan said:

He’s a good 3-4 inches taller and listed as 265 with the bisons, Jake is him self undersized as a dt but a good bit removed from weighing 276.  He was a 2 sport guy in hs playing pretty good basketball. He is a very different body type than jake. 
Reminds me a lot of Brett MacNeil actually. 

The Bomber's website has him listed in the 290s.  Similar to Doug Brown in that he is lengthy defensive tackle.

I'm really high on Adamson's potential as a guard.  Might have read me saying that last year.  Walters had a good way of putting it that it gives his career longevity.  Want those athletic guys on the offensive side of the line too.

I see a tougher version of Chris Greaves.  When you have a guy with the hands and feet but not the explosiveness why the hell wouldn't you flip him around?

The U of M DL in the upcoming draft is another one who probably has a better shot as a OL, Kornelson.

7 hours ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

The Bomber's website has him listed in the 290s.  Similar to Doug Brown in that he is lengthy defensive tackle.

Doug is a good comparison body wise too though a bit more extreme on that end. He was an extraordinary outlier in a long gone era though. It’s not the same fit these days. Joe montford was a shade over 220 too.

Unfortunately listed weights and heights are what ever a player wants them to be most times. 

18 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I'm really high on Adamson's potential as a guard.  Might have read me saying that last year.  Walters had a good way of putting it that it gives his career longevity.  Want those athletic guys on the offensive side of the line too.

I see a tougher version of Chris Greaves.  When you have a guy with the hands and feet but not the explosiveness why the hell wouldn't you flip him around?

The U of M DL in the upcoming draft is another one who probably has a better shot as a OL, Kornelson.

Does he stay at guard though with Eli being resigned?  It seems wasteful to turn a big defensive tackle into a development guard, when one can be picked in the draft.

19 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If our coaches feel this is his best route than I fully support it. We have seen a good number of success stories in the CFL of guys flipping sides and yea...your logic is solid as to why.

30 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Does he stay at guard though with Eli being resigned?  It seems wasteful to turn a big defensive tackle into a development guard, when one can be picked in the draft.

It's all about upside and a too a big degree a player's stated willingness to sit on the PR through development. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense for us to take a high round OL right now as that's where we would have to put them. Realistically moving Adamson isn't about this year at all. It's a futures move for down the road when Neufeld retires or possibly Adamson shows something at OT....who knows. At the end of the day, the Bombers feel Adamson would be unlikely to make our squad as a DT, this gives him a chance to possibly catch on in a different role.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Eli was our back-up centre when he was here before, except for certain packages where he came in as a 6th OL.  He's the heir apparent at centre now that Couture is gone - just a matter of seeing if he's ready right out of camp or not.  Kolankowski will start if Eli isn't ready yet.

Maybe they feel like there isn't going to be anyone available with more upside than they feel Adamson has?  FWIW, Hodge, in his first mock draft, said that this year's draft is relatively light on OL. 

On 2023-03-28 at 3:45 PM, Bigblue204 said:

Yes you are correct. I had forgotten about that. Though I disagree that he'd still be in the usfl assuming his NFL interest dried up. As a Canadian that's the only reason to play down there right now.

In the USFL i bet he would have been able to start instantly as well. But for his realistic long term future its best for him to be here burning through his entry level deal so he can get to making decent coin here that he wouldn't make in the USFL and he's unlikely to be in the NFL. 

11 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

In the USFL i bet he would have been able to start instantly as well. But for his realistic long term future its best for him to be here burning through his entry level deal so he can get to making decent coin here that he wouldn't make in the USFL and he's unlikely to be in the NFL. 

I disagree. In the CFL you are locked in for 2 years without NFL option. In the spring leagues you can play well and be signed in the NFL at any point of your contract. NFL likes to sign players when they are young. The XFL and USFL are better choices for many high draft picks who just need some pro film to gain NFL interest. OL, in particular, are always in high demand in the NFL and NFL teams are more willing to groom them over time if they are young. Sitting for 2 years in the CFL does not help that.

14 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I disagree. In the CFL you are locked in for 2 years without NFL option. In the spring leagues you can play well and be signed in the NFL at any point of your contract. NFL likes to sign players when they are young. The XFL and USFL are better choices for many high draft picks who just need some pro film to gain NFL interest. OL, in particular, are always in high demand in the NFL and NFL teams are more willing to groom them over time if they are young. Sitting for 2 years in the CFL does not help that.

You're just gonna ignore the list of players who get released to go to the NFL?

Dobson was not a high draft pick.

Edited by Bigblue204

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

You're just gonna ignore the list of players who get released to go to the NFL?

Dobson was not a high draft pick.

We picked Dobson 3rd overall (that is the very definition of a high draft pick) and yes I am going to ignore the list of players released to go to the NFL because that list is very small and it is pretty rare actually. CFL draft picks have no NFL window for the first two years of their contract, that means NFL teams are not even allowed to talk to them. Are you even going to look things up before calling someone's info inaccurate?

Edited by GCn20

3 hours ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

If you're being practical he's nothing more than a developmental player on DL.  It's not like he's going to make the roster as a DL right away or ever.  He has a way better shot at a career and to be an impact player for the Bombers as a OL.  This is a pretty well-worn developmental path.  Quite a few Blue Bomber HOF members have followed it, even one guy in the Ring of Honour.

25 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

We picked Dobson 3rd overall (that is the very definition of a high draft pick) and yes I am going to ignore the list of players released to go to the NFL because that list is very small and it is pretty rare actually. CFL draft picks have no NFL window for the first two years of their contract, that means NFL teams are not even allowed to talk to them. Are you even going to look things up before calling someone's info inaccurate?

oh my bad. I was thinking NFL draft.

Also Kongbo was 100% released after his 1st year to pursue the NFL. There are no windows...but teams do release players.

Edited by Bigblue204

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Also Kongbo was 100% released after his 1st year to pursue the NFL. There are no windows...but teams do release players.

It can happen but it is very rare. Kongbo was the exception not the rule. Most teams will not entertain the idea. Might see more of it now with the spring leagues in order to get these guys signed though.

Edited by GCn20

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

If our coaches feel this is his best route than I fully support it. We have seen a good number of success stories in the CFL of guys flipping sides and yea...your logic is solid as to why.

It's all about upside and a too a big degree a player's stated willingness to sit on the PR through development. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense for us to take a high round OL right now as that's where we would have to put them. Realistically moving Adamson isn't about this year at all. It's a futures move for down the road when Neufeld retires or possibly Adamson shows something at OT....who knows. At the end of the day, the Bombers feel Adamson would be unlikely to make our squad as a DT, this gives him a chance to possibly catch on in a different role.

Could it be that the Bombers feel that they have enough depth at the O-line that they are planning to take a different positional player that shows promise?

count me in the camp that the Bombers are taking a "chance" moving Adamson to the OL because this year's draft is super thin on OL, so they figure this is as good as drafting a mid-to-late round OL this year. And as JBR mentioned, it's something that's been done frequently, with Chris Walby being a very notable example...

5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Could it be that the Bombers feel that they have enough depth at the O-line that they are planning to take a different positional player that shows promise?

That would be my guess. I think the Bombers draft strategy right now is BPA, and they don't feel that will be an OL when our turn comes.  We really have no room on the roster for a high OL draft pick right now.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

count me in the camp that the Bombers are taking a "chance" moving Adamson to the OL because this year's draft is super thin on OL, so they figure this is as good as drafting a mid-to-late round OL this year. And as JBR mentioned, it's something that's been done frequently, with Chris Walby being a very notable example...

Greaves, Eric Wilson are other examples.

Edited by GCn20

17 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

13 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It can happen but it is very rare. Kongbo was the exception not the rule. Most teams will not entertain the idea. Might see more of it now with the spring leagues in order to get these guys signed though.

Ford