2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

SFU has been a joke since they pinballed between NAIA (where they were successful) to CIS (where they were competitive) to NCAA D2 (where they were absolutely outclassed in a much more expensive level to operate in).

I expect SFU to come back and play U Sports, what CIS is called now.

SFU and UBC have always had this odd fascination with being low level NCAA teams rather than competing with other Canadian universities.

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

So if they were in the NCAA(WTF!) they were playing on a NFL style field at home?

SFU, quite famously since their inception (with the exception of a few years in the early 00's) plays 4 Down football......Doug Brown has talked about it many many many times. He'd never played Canadian football until he got to the Bombers.

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

SFU, quite famously since their inception (with the exception of a few years in the early 00's) plays 4 Down football......Doug Brown has talked about it many many many times. He'd never played Canadian football until he got to the Bombers.

Traitors then :D

Back in U Sports in 3...2...1

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

BC high school plays US rules too.

46 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Always remember I think it might have been Kwame cavil in an interview during camp talking about how he'd probably get 2000 yards a season. 

****** Americans thinking the league is crap.

Rookie Americans. A lot of nfl pros have given the talent level here a lot of respect. 

26 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

So if they were in the NCAA(WTF!) they were playing on a NFL style field at home?

Yep. And sucked. 

18 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Traitors then :D

Back in U Sports in 3...2...1

Probably.  

54 minutes ago, bluto said:

For those of us who don't follow College/Uni sports, is this as big of a schemozzle as it sounds like it is for SFU and its athletes?

I don't follow as closely as others but from the articles I read this morning it seems to be rather profound impact. 

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/04/04/lions-issue-statement-on-simon-fraser-university-football-program/#:~:text=We at the CFL are,contributions to our great game.

18 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

The CFL is a stepping stone for every American and likely most high level Canadians. I don't get the butt hurt? CFL is a stepping for many americans, a stepping stone that quickly turns into a mountain. 

I read his tweet and his responses to the comments below and he seems to be demonstrating a high level of appreciation. So no butt hurt here, an ambitious focussed appreciative young man with a specific goal. There is always a however and in this case the however is be a bit more aware when you call something a stepping stone whether here or anywhere in his journey outside of football. Sometimes it’s not what you’re saying, it’s tweaking how you’re saying it, that’s all. Good luck to him except against us where he will quickly realize he’s got some work to do.

23 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

SFU has been a joke since they pinballed between NAIA (where they were successful) to CIS (where they were competitive) to NCAA D2 (where they were absolutely outclassed in a much more expensive level to operate in).

I expect SFU to come back and play U Sports, what CIS is called now.

SFU and UBC have always had this odd fascination with being low level NCAA teams rather than competing with other Canadian universities.

Not sure they even were as good as you say in each league. In NAIA they were a career 142-187-2 (.429) with only 12 winning seasons in 37 years. In the CIS (now USports) where they mainly played with disdain for the Canadian game’s competitive level and lack of full ride scholarships (according to this article from Bleacher Report: https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/243985-simon-fraser-to-leave-candian-interuniversity-sport-for-ncaa-dii.amp.html ) they went 16-47-2  (.262 winning percentage) with fewer winning seasons (2) than seasons with 0 wins (3) in 8 years overall in CanWest. They were often the weak sisters of the conference. As pointed out, they were simply outclassed in NCAA II (18-99, .154 in 12 losing seasons out of 12, only 4 wins total in their last 7 years). Travel supposedly was an issue with playing the USports western conference, but this last year they played in the Lone Star Conference - yes, that’s Texas. 

Lots of moving parts I don’t have the intel on, but Pooh-Poohing the CIS seems to have back-fired on them, and now they are a team without a league. As pointed out in another twitter link, they won’t be allowed back into USports unless every sport program at their school follows suit, so it looks like football is dead there for now, given that their other programs still have links to Pacific Northwest US conferences. 

6 hours ago, Stickem said:

It's a bloody crime......the death at SFU has and will have profound implications for football in this country....sad day

Not sure I agree with that sentiment given what I have written above. They made their choice to thumb their noses at Canadian University football a long time ago, and are authors of their own misfortune by tying themselves to second tier US football. They were pretty non-competitive when they played CIS, and USports football has gotten along just fine without them since they bolted for the States again. Sad for their players, but I don’t have much sympathy for their program, which seems to have been sub-par for most of it’s existence, thinking it could progress and run with Division 1 NCAA but not really competing even in Div 2. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

59 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Not sure they even were as good as you say in each league. In NAIA they were a career 142-187-2 (.429) with only 12 winning seasons in 37 years. In the CIS (now USports) where they mainly played with disdain for the Canadian game’s competitive level and lack of full ride scholarships (according to this article from Bleacher Report: https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/243985-simon-fraser-to-leave-candian-interuniversity-sport-for-ncaa-dii.amp.html ) they went 16-47-2  (.262 winning percentage) with fewer winning seasons (2) than seasons with 0 wins (3) in 8 years overall in CanWest. They were often the weak sisters of the conference. As pointed out, they were simply outclassed in NCAA II (18-99, .154 in 12 losing seasons out of 12, only 4 wins total in their last 7 years). Travel supposedly was an issue with playing the USports western conference, but this last year they played in the Lone Star Conference - yes, that’s Texas. 

Lots of moving parts I don’t have the intel on, but Pooh-Poohing the CIS seems to have back-fired on them, and now they are a team without a league. As pointed out in another twitter link, they won’t be allowed back into USports unless every sport program at their school follows suit, so it looks like football is dead there for now, given that their other programs still have links to Pacific Northwest US conferences. 

Not sure I agree with that sentiment given what I have written above. They made their choice to thumb their noses at Canadian University football a long time ago, and are authors of their own misfortune by tying themselves to second tier US football. They were pretty non-competitive when they played CIS, and USports football has gotten along just fine without them since they bolted for the States again. Sad for their players, but I don’t have much sympathy for their program, which seems to have been sub-par for most of it’s existence, thinking it could progress and run with Division 1 NCAA but not really competing even in Div 2. 

Take a look into their other team sports and how they've fared in NCAA D2.  I think there will be a significant push from alumni to force the whole athletic department to rejoin CIS or NAIA.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Doug Brown said SFU contributed more players to the CFL than any other program in history, and that it's not particularly close........ so there is that.

I have trouble believing it’s developed more cfl talent than Laval, the Dino’s, western, or McMaster. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Doug Brown said SFU contributed more players to the CFL than any other program in history, and that it's not particularly close........ so there is that.

Yea and no. It has produced more CFL talent than any other NCAA program, which makes sense since they are based in Canada. But they are nowhere near the top program in Canada. As of 2020 when this article was written, Calgary was #1 and Laval in their brief but storied history was #2, both with twice the alums as SFU. 
https://www.cfl.ca/2020/04/27/u-sports-ncaa-schools-dominate-draft-day/