2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

KSB is a top 3 NAT receiver in the CFL but is not top 15 overall. Him being the Riders best receiver is a testament to how weak they are at receiver. He is a fringe 2 or strong 3 receiver in this league.

He's better than Woli and not nearly as good as Demski. Beating out a 5 receiver isn't exactly proving anything tho, especially at what he would cost. On a few other teams he might be a number 3 receiver.

Mostly agree. Idk if he’s the 3rd best in the league on a decent team as the 3rd option. 
 You can argue he’s a better pass catcher but that 5th wr here isn’t a pass catcher in half the plays. 
 I’m not sure he is better either. Woli just gets soo few touches. If ksb got that amount of touches here he wouldn’t be too 15 ni wrs in the league for production. Imop he’d probably quit playing if he had to fills wolis shoes. Not many guys are willing to set aside stats and play selfless style like that. 

If woli was in ksbs position I think he’d be a 1k wr easily as well. 

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Mostly agree. Idk if he’s the 3rd best in the league on a decent team as the 3rd option. 
 You can argue he’s a better pass catcher but that 5th wr here isn’t a pass catcher in half the plays. 
 I’m not sure he is better either. Woli just gets soo few touches. If ksb got that amount of touches here he wouldn’t be too 15 ni wrs in the league for production. Imop he’d probably quit playing if he had to fills wolis shoes. Not many guys are willing to set aside stats and play selfless style like that. 

If woli was in ksbs position I think he’d be a 1k wr easily as well. 

I agree with this 100%. Ksb seems to be more athletic than wolly. But in terms of flat out replacing wolly in our lineup...im not completely convinced it would be a good fit. Nor would I want him over Demski. 

Nothin to do with us but I see a player on the Elks has requested a trade and wants to leave ...LB Kevin Francis wants out of deadmonton.....Jones won't accommodate him and says he expects him to be in the Elks lineup in 23'......Which brings me to the contrast of that club compared to us ....and right out of the gate....Players want to be here....the locker room is tight and the culture in Wpg. is like day and night compared to Edm......Advantage us and the bullets haven't even been loaded, never mind being fired in earnest this year.......Lawler was lucky to escape that clown show and play for a real team....Just a quick observation

12 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Nothin to do with us but I see a player on the Elks has requested a trade and wants to leave ...LB Kevin Francis wants out of deadmonton.....Jones won't accommodate him and says he expects him to be in the Elks lineup in 23'......Which brings me to the contrast of that club compared to us ....and right out of the gate....Players want to be here....the locker room is tight and the culture in Wpg. is like day and night compared to Edm......Advantage us and the bullets haven't even been loaded, never mind being fired in earnest this year.......Lawler was lucky to escape that clown show and play for a real team....Just a quick observation

"Smithers... I'm starting to think that Homer Simpson isn't the brilliant tactician I thought he was..." 

4 hours ago, Stickem said:

I think Francis needs to fire his agent.  Signed a contract he didn't understand.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Sounds like it.

Could be but it's not like this is his first contract or team.  Jones himself said the Elks execs have put in a new policy (he doesn't say what it is though). The 3D article makes it seem related to the signing bonus in the contract.

"Kevin’s got his things going on and we’ve got a policy with our organization. Our president and CFO have come with a new policy and that’s their prerogative. They’re above my pay grade,” Jones said in an interview with 3DownNation."

"That deal included a $25,000 signing bonus, but the linebacker has been vocally unsatisfied with how the financial compensation has been handled."

https://3downnation.com/2023/03/25/elks-chris-jones-expects-lb-kevin-francis-to-be-with-team-in-2023-despite-request-for-trade-or-release/

7 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Could be but it's not like this is his first contract or team.  Jones himself said the Elks execs have put in a new policy (he doesn't say what it is though). The 3D article makes it seem related to the signing bonus in the contract.

"Kevin’s got his things going on and we’ve got a policy with our organization. Our president and CFO have come with a new policy and that’s their prerogative. They’re above my pay grade,” Jones said in an interview with 3DownNation."

"That deal included a $25,000 signing bonus, but the linebacker has been vocally unsatisfied with how the financial compensation has been handled."

https://3downnation.com/2023/03/25/elks-chris-jones-expects-lb-kevin-francis-to-be-with-team-in-2023-despite-request-for-trade-or-release/

I've been operating under the assumption that he was expecting his signing bonus up front and the team put it in the contract that it would be paid out in instalments. 

4 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I've been operating under the assumption that he was expecting his signing bonus up front and the team put it in the contract that it would be paid out in instalments. 

I assume he was expecting that as well.  I wonder if it's not specified in the contract either way and that's the route the team has chosen to go.

If the contract does say that it will be paid by installment, then yeah that's on him. And even if it's not written that way, I guess it's still on him (or his agent) for not having that part clarified.

19 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The quote out of BC seems to indicate that he re-tore the achilles again when he was almost ready to come back. If so, it's likely a career ender.

Yep, got reported back in October that he was on track to return before playoffs but got hurt again.  Was only reported as a "setback" so I don't think anyone (at least outside the team) knew how bad it was until now.

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/13/defensive-tackle-steven-richardson-suffers-setback-to-achilles-injury-will-not-play-for-lions-this-season/

27 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yep, got reported back in October that he was on track to return before playoffs but got hurt again.  Was only reported as a "setback" so I don't think anyone (at least outside the team) knew how bad it was until now.

https://3downnation.com/2022/10/13/defensive-tackle-steven-richardson-suffers-setback-to-achilles-injury-will-not-play-for-lions-this-season/

Yea....it's unfortunate for sure. Hard to find too many DTs that stay healthy and have long careers. Those trenches just chew people up...particularly on the defensive side of the ball for some reason.

On 2023-03-28 at 2:34 PM, GCn20 said:

Yea....it's unfortunate for sure. Hard to find too many DTs that stay healthy and have long careers. Those trenches just chew people up...particularly on the defensive side of the ball for some reason.

They make it sound like he’s really torn on playing again. He’s young enough and with low enough wear to take a whole year to recover and try a come back at 100% next year. 

5 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Not the "GOAT!"

/flex 

I’d say I won’t miss that clown but guys like that seem to have endless lives in the cfl.