2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

3 hours ago, Booch said:

And solid guy in MTL now too

For all the flak that the league commissioner and board of directors have taken, these two sore spots have helped put the league in much better shape, and yes, if the Argos had good ownership willing to promote the team, we would be set. Until the next crisis.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

For all the flak that the league commissioner and board of directors have taken, these two sore spots have helped put the league in much better shape, and yes, if the Argos had good ownership willing to promote the team, we would be set. Until the next crisis.

League is still better off having MLSE owning the Argos than not. Their pockets are so deep that losses are not consequential, and I don’t see other buyers lining up. 

23 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

League is still better off having MLSE owning the Argos than not. Their pockets are so deep that losses are not consequential, and I don’t see other buyers lining up. 

MLSE  has done and will do as little as possible to promote the Argos and while they are better than nothing, I really hope that turnarounds in Montreal and Vancouver will either inspire MLSE to wake up or sell it to someone who will do it right.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I have some ocean front property I am willing to sell you for cheap.... 

MLSE were leading the charge to try and cash in on the XFL crap. They aren't willing to spend on the Argos and that's the problem. It's nothing to them. Would be a lot better off with an owner that gave a **** about the team and league and actually tried to build up the franchise. 

As a lifelong Argo supporter, I am conditioned to expect the worst. 

Usually it doesn't end up that way but it sort of ends up as an ownership and media apathy which borders on malevolence. 

When you consider how easy it would be for MLSE to cross promote this Club. The oldest professional sports franchise in North America. The 18 time Champions. In its 150th fricking year this year!

...but it's been crickets and vague promises of special events, commemorations and fan bonuses. We'll see where this ends up.

The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference.

10 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I have some ocean front property I am willing to sell you for cheap.... 

MLSE were leading the charge to try and cash in on the XFL crap. They aren't willing to spend on the Argos and that's the problem. It's nothing to them. Would be a lot better off with an owner that gave a **** about the team and league and actually tried to build up the franchise. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Knowing MLSE, they'll sell the Argos then not let them use BMO Field. 

I agree another owner would be better, but I don’t think that exists right now. And yes MLSE would block them from using the stadium. Which is why I say better to have an owner who at least pays the bills and keeps the franchise financially viable as opposed to having no owner and the league pays the bills again.  If anyone can identify a willing owner, I’ll revise my statement. 

16 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Deep pockets only matter if you are willing to spend it. And mlse isn’t willing to spend on the argos. 

6 hours ago, bluto said:

Usually it doesn't end up that way but it sort of ends up as an ownership and media apathy which borders on malevolence. 

When you consider how easy it would be for MLSE to cross promote this Club. The oldest professional sports franchise in North America. The 18 time Champions. In its 150th fricking year this year!

...but it's been crickets and vague promises of special events, commemorations and fan bonuses. We'll see where this ends up.

Like a passive investor the only thing Tanenbaum cares about is the value of his property going up so he can add to his personal wealth, ironically it will be the groundwork put in by every other team in the league that increases the Argo's worth, not anything he's ever done to make it better.  Best thing for the CFL is for Larry to croak.

“My concern is, in the major cities of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, it’s not attracted the younger fan engagement. You look at value creation and, you know, quite unfortunately, these teams are not worth that much money. The hockey, basketball or soccer teams are trading at hundreds of millions of dollars, in some cases billions of dollars. And you see the Argos, you know, a 106-year-old league, and what value creation are these franchises trading at? You’ve got to look at that and say, is that success?”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/cfl/article/around-the-cfl-tanenbaums-comments-raise-concerns-about-future-of-argonauts-league/

Edited by Fatty Liver

7 hours ago, bluto said:

In what way is the willingness to take an annual operating loss not spending?

It’s not spending where it’s important. Spending the year end bill but not investing any of the money to actually fix the problems is just giving anesthesia along with the lethal injection. How long do you think the argos can continue as is? The argos are by far in the most trouble of any franchise. And no in season performance can help. 

18 hours ago, bluto said:

We know where it'll end up. 

t-Ua2Ua5_x96.jpg

Interesting. The Stampeders will not be selling seats above Row 52 at McMahon this year (other than Labour Day and vs. Riders). Will be installing tarps to cover top seat sections. Hopefully an aesthetic improvement.

12 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

t-Ua2Ua5_x96.jpg

Interesting. The Stampeders will not be selling seats above Row 52 at McMahon this year (other than Labour Day and vs. Riders). Will be installing tarps to cover top seat sections. Hopefully an aesthetic improvement.

Ahh yes the Toronto approach to low attendance. 

17 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It's embarrassing and some of us have been sounding the warning signs for Calgary for a while now. (Paging speedflex....). This city is going to watch the stamps die if they don't pull their heads out of their asses. Beem a slow road but maybe now others will see what has been building for a while now.

Put three oil wells along the length of the field and a big F**k Trudeau logo in one end zone.

That'll bring in an extra 5 thou per game.