And so it has come to this...

bluto

Never in my lifetime (and I'd suppose pretty much all of yours) have we had this matchup in the Grey Cup.

And if you, dear Bomberfan, could go back through your memory of all of your past teams and coaches and then select just one of them to be taking the field this Sunday for All The Marbles, I can't think that many of you would pick any other Bomber squad or Coach that you've ever personally witnessed above this one which you have.

Conversely, we the Argo Faithful, would be stretching the truth if we were to say the same. Indeed, most of us wouldn't have this year's incarnation of the Boatmen in our top 10.

Speaking for myself, I confess great sporting admiration for your current team, its coaches and its accomplishments. Having myself been spoiled by epic teams in the past, I remember well the great feeling it brings to have your spirits buoyed by witnessing a well-oiled machine, firing on all cylinders and sweeping all before them. It is a daunting prospect for any club to come up against such an animal - apologies for mixing metaphors - but as you well know, there's a reason why you don't just declare a winner before the ball gets kicked.

Any Given Sunday.

This time honored maxim is a cliche for a very good reason: the team that is supposed to win, doesn't always win. Game of inches and such. I go into this matchup once again prepared for the emotional wound which losing The Big Dance can bring... But then, I have made this preparation for each of the last 3 of these games we were in and the outcome wasn't what it ought to have been. We were solid underdogs in all of them. We should have lost each of them. But we once again had our glorious name etched of the Cup because for each of these games we had a gameplan that worked, made fewer (or no) mistakes, and we had that one intangible that others will scoff at, but we, the True Double Blue know from the bottom of our hearts is real:

The Argo Bounce.

It's a helluva thing, but time and again, year after year, decade after decade, The Argo Bounce has come from out of nowhere and given us Victory and Glory that just frankly and earnestly speaking should never have happened. Fumbles, Tips, Deflections, Slips, Bonehead Errors and yes, Bounces. They should not keep happening, and the younger Bomber supporters with less appreciation for the Storied History of a rival team may deride this as a bullshit thing that isn't real and that random acts of bounce happen for and against every team. Well, yes they do. But the grizzled veterans amongst you look back over the years and in some recessed corner of your memories do in fact recall a stupid amount of random events granting risibly improbable wins for the Toronto Argonaut Football Club. And you wonder, will The Argo Bounce show up? Can the nigh invincible Bombers be denied by The Football Gods showing their favour once again to the Mighty Scullers?

Likely not.

This is probably the year where The Law of Averages catches up to us. When Lady Luck looks past us because we have just had it so damn good for so damn long. Maybe the Argos show up and have their best Gameplan, best Effort, make no mistakes and do everything right but still fall short because their opposition was just too much for them to overcome. The Blue Bombers should win this game. I can't fathom that you'd find many Argo fans who, if forced to bet everything they own on this game, would take the Argos to win it. If Winnipeg shows up and plays their best, it probably won't matter if Toronto can show up with their best. Winnipeg wins that matchup nine times out of ten... Or... maybe Any Given Sunday and The Argo Bounce happen.

Some of you have known me 20 years or close enough to it. You know that my wish of good luck to you is sincere and it is in the tradition of sporting competition that the better team on the day wins. I witnessed your years in the wilderness and the false dawns that ignited hope in you that never came to be. You are deserving of your time at the top spoke of fortune's wheel because you've known the bottom of it. 

Sincerely & Fraternally,

It's Go Time. I will look for you on the field of honour.

28 minutes ago, bluto said:

Never in my lifetime (and I'd suppose pretty much all of yours) have we had this matchup in the Grey Cup.

And if you, dear Bomberfan, could go back through your memory of all of your past teams and coaches and then select just one of them to be taking the field this Sunday for All The Marbles, I can't think that many of you would pick any other Bomber squad or Coach that you've ever personally witnessed above this one which you have.

Conversely, we the Argo Faithful, would be stretching the truth if we were to say the same. Indeed, most of us wouldn't have this year's incarnation of the Boatmen in our top 10.

Speaking for myself, I confess great sporting admiration for your current team, its coaches and its accomplishments. Having myself been spoiled by epic teams in the past, I remember well the great feeling it brings to have your spirits buoyed by witnessing a well-oiled machine, firing on all cylinders and sweeping all before them. It is a daunting prospect for any club to come up against such an animal - apologies for mixing metaphors - but as you well know, there's a reason why you don't just declare a winner before the ball gets kicked.

Any Given Sunday.

This time honored maxim is a cliche for a very good reason: the team that is supposed to win, doesn't always win. Game of inches and such. I go into this matchup once again prepared for the emotional wound which losing The Big Dance can bring... But then, I have made this preparation for each of the last 3 of these games we were in and the outcome wasn't what it ought to have been. We were solid underdogs in all of them. We should have lost each of them. But we once again had our glorious name etched of the Cup because for each of these games we had a gameplan that worked, made fewer (or no) mistakes, and we had that one intangible that others will scoff at, but we, the True Double Blue know from the bottom of our hearts is real:

The Argo Bounce.

It's a helluva thing, but time and again, year after year, decade after decade, The Argo Bounce has come from out of nowhere and given us Victory and Glory that just frankly and earnestly speaking should never have happened. Fumbles, Tips, Deflections, Slips, Bonehead Errors and yes, Bounces. They should not keep happening, and the younger Bomber supporters with less appreciation for the Storied History of a rival team may deride this as a bullshit thing that isn't real and that random acts of bounce happen for and against every team. Well, yes they do. But the grizzled veterans amongst you look back over the years and in some recessed corner of your memories do in fact recall a stupid amount of random events granting risibly improbable wins for the Toronto Argonaut Football Club. And you wonder, will The Argo Bounce show up? Can the nigh invincible Bombers be denied by The Football Gods showing their favour once again to the Mighty Scullers?

Likely not.

This is probably the year where The Law of Averages catches up to us. When Lady Luck looks past us because we have just had it so damn good for so damn long. Maybe the Argos show up and have their best Gameplan, best Effort, make no mistakes and do everything right but still fall short because their opposition was just too much for them to overcome. The Blue Bombers should win this game. I can't fathom that you'd find many Argo fans who, if forced to bet everything they own on this game, would take the Argos to win it. If Winnipeg shows up and plays their best, it probably won't matter if Toronto can show up with their best. Winnipeg wins that matchup nine times out of ten... Or... maybe Any Given Sunday and The Argo Bounce happen.

Some of you have known me 20 years or close enough to it. You know that my wish of good luck to you is sincere and it is in the tradition of sporting competition that the better team on the day wins. I witnessed your years in the wilderness and the false dawns that ignited hope in you that never came to be. You are deserving of your time at the top spoke of fortune's wheel because you've known the bottom of it. 

Sincerely & Fraternally,

You are going to need more than a lucky bounce or Any Given Sunday to beat us. We are the best in the league because we are the best at overcoming adversity. If the Argos show up and play their best football, get all the bounces, and the refs in their pocket you guys might hang with us for a while. Not trying to be arrogant, or a ******, just spelling out the reality for you. Be happy you made it this far, 7 other teams didn't....but this is where you face the first real team you have played in the playoffs. We are just that much better than you that the Argo bounce won't matter if we show up to play.

Also, **** Toronto!

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, bluto said:

Any Given Sunday.

The Argo Bounce.

Likely not.

Sincerely & Fraternally,

giphy.gif

Well put. 

Good luck to you and yours. May the best team and all that.

3 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

obama-what.gif

Seriously, this place is going to look much like something green, black-hearted, and ranting incoherently (not riderfans).

hate-hate-hate-the-grinch.gif

Hey kumbaya and all that if it is your bag, a lot of us find hating the Argos this week to be very therapeutic and soothing to the soul. Next week I will go back to not caring one iota about them.

3 hours ago, bluto said:

The Argo Bounce.

Anybody who doesn't think the Bombers didn't get a few breaks and "Bomber Bounces" over the last 2 years hasn't been paying attention.

Pretty hard to win a championship without some luck going your way.  (2019 Grey Cup excepted - that was an ass-kicking).

12 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Anybody who doesn't think the Bombers didn't get a few breaks and "Bomber Bounces" over the last 2 years hasn't been paying attention.

Pretty hard to win a championship without some luck going your way.  (2019 Grey Cup excepted - that was an ass-kicking).

I Cant Hear You La La La GIF

@bluto good guy...knowledgeable and thinks realistically as an opposing fan...Much like @greenrider55 as they aren't blinded by the stupidity of others...that being said eff the Argo's...and don't even have to say eff the Riders right now...they doing a good job of that internally....I say it all in good fun as well...But it's go time now, and if my mama was on the other team I'd run her ass over to win

4 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Agreed- even in the 2021 Grey cup game. No question the Bombers were the better team and deserved the win, but the TiCats with Masoli gave them everything they could handle and it took a heroic interception for the Blue to cement the win.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

@bluto good guy...knowledgeable and thinks realistically as an opposing fan...Much like @greenrider55 as they aren't blinded by the stupidity of others...that being said eff the Argo's...and don't even have to say eff the Riders right now...they doing a good job of that internally....I say it all in good fun as well...But it's go time now, and if my mama was on the other team I'd run her ass over to win

Wish we had a few more of them from other teams. They add a lot and give me hope for the cfls fan base. 

I generally like dinwiddie as a coach. But I very much dislike this argos squad. 
 This would certainly be the coaching squad I would pick to represent the blue n gold with out question. For the double blue pinball with mos. 

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Appreciate it my man. This is a good board with good CFL fans, and keeps my interest in the league at a high level. The type of fans the CFL needs.

Yeah...I gave up posting on riderfans and just couldnt have legit convo..just ended up in juvenile stupidity...and attacks...even when fact based

Was also shocked to find out the age of some the posters there too...you would think they were pre teen and teens with a smattering of living in mama's basement 20 somethings...sadly that isnt the case...I do go there and read daily tho for pure entertainment 

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah...I gave up posting on riderfans and just couldnt have legit convo..just ended up in juvenile stupidity...and attacks...even when fact based

I'm still trying. They are actually mostly good dudes there- just a few loud AF cranks and of course migs. 

Regardless- very entertaining.