Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

10 hours ago, johnzo said:

Isn't that true for all OL?  Can any one OL turn around a line that doesn't already have the other pieces in place? 

I think back to when we signed our GOAT tackle Bryant in 2014 and our OL was still terrible and got Willy killed.

He was the start. We filled in the pieces after that. Guards are generally the final pieces. 

yeah he was the corner stone for sure...then we got a vet guard in Neuf to help with the immediate inserting of the Chunghs and Goosens and Desjarlais followed up with the easing in of the Coutures, Grays and and soon to be Dobson and Eli....perfect oline building and forward looking progressions....which is highly likely we go after he best O-line guy this draft, to keep the process moving along....as I am sure 1 vet next yr will be gone....and if we win the Cup likely 2 as I can see Bryant going out on top....but then again....if he still playing at high level...why would he quit?

Maybe next yr we can DA Richmond as opposed to Jackson lol...especially if we can bring Bennet and Kongbo back home, then we only need one DA spot for Haba

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah he was the corner stone for sure...then we got a vet guard in Neuf to help with the immediate inserting of the Chunghs and Goosens and Desjarlais followed up with the easing in of the Coutures, Grays and and soon to be Dobson and Eli....perfect oline building and forward looking progressions....which is highly likely we go after he best O-line guy this draft, to keep the process moving along....as I am sure 1 vet next yr will be gone....and if we win the Cup likely 2 as I can see Bryant going out on top....but then again....if he still playing at high level...why would he quit?

Maybe next yr we can DA Richmond as opposed to Jackson lol...especially if we can bring Bennet and Kongbo back home, then we only need one DA spot for Haba

I’d much rather have Jackson as a da. Give him late game blow out reps, 6th ol tackle spot stuff. guy needs reps bad. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

I’d much rather have Jackson as a da. Give him late game blow out reps, 6th ol tackle spot stuff. guy needs reps bad. 

I'd rather Jackson not be on roster next yr, as if he is on for that role again...thats an epic fail by scouting and coaching.  I don't think at 32 next year that his upside is worth the developmental reps....his spot will be better served with a legit young prospect who will give good value in 2024, and even better impactful value in 2025 grey cup run at home

That's another thing that makes this whole thing more baffling and pointless, it's not like he is a young guy who has a huge ceiling, and has a lot of yrs ahead of him....he is a raw 31 yr old rookie....

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

I'd rather Jackson not be on roster next yr, as if he is on for that role again...thats an epic fail by scouting and coaching.  I don't think at 32 next year that his upside is worth the developmental reps....his spot will be better served with a legit young prospect who will give good value in 2024, and even better impactful value in 2025 grey cup run at home

That's another thing that makes this whole thing more baffling and pointless, it's not like he is a young guy who has a huge ceiling, and has a lot of yrs ahead of him....he is a raw 31 yr old rookie....

Me too but we always have one chud wasting space each year. Atleast when it’s a Canadian it doesn’t cost us that much. 

18 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Yea...Bryant helped but he was just one piece of the puzzle.

We signed Left Tackle Stanley Bryant. Then brought in that gargantuan sized American Right Guard in Travis Bond, traded for Canadian Guard Pat Neufeld along with Right Tackle Jamarcus Hardrick. Then drafted Right Guard Sukh Chungh, Guard & Center Michael Couture & Crnter Matthias Goosen. Walters  transformed our OL in a very short time from one of the all time worst to one of the best.. Stanley was the first he signed as a FA & has had the most high impact on the OL at Left Tackle. 

17 hours ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

We should provide Jackson with more opportunities to build his NFL resume. While his actual talent will not be the focus, just think about how the NFL media will cream their dress pants over his military background! He'd be seen as a hero, with potential for a 30-minute personal interest segment every game he plays in! 

You're probably half serious. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We signed Left Tackle Stanley Bryant. Then brought in that gargantuan sized American Right Guard in Travis Bond, traded for Canadian Guard Pat Neufeld along with Right Tackle Jamarcus Hardrick. Then drafted Right Guard Sukh Chungh, Guard & Center Michael Couture & Crnter Matthias Goosen. Walters  transformed our OL in a very short time from one of the all time worst to one of the best.. Stanley was the first he signed as a FA & has had the most high impact on the OL at Left Tackle. 

You're probably half serious. 

Moving hardrick from guard to tackle and bringing in bond really solidified the ol. We ended up going through a lot of guys between the one guard spot and centre but the rest of the core has had an unprecedented run. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Weight loss......

Yep..we were the only team that told him to shed 40 lbs before training camp. He did it and the rest is history. The Riders, in particular, must be stinging from that.

A couple years ago some knucklehead Rider fan was beaking off about Winnipeg being too stupid to keep Labatte and the Riders being so smart for getting him. My response was "Yoshi and Neufeld". He didn't understand my rebuttal...clueless.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

There was no expectations when Hardrick was brought in was almost an afterthought. He was pretty bad with Riders but fortunately something clicked when he got here.

That’s what great teams do. They take great under performing players and help them fulfill their potential. Bond was an off cast as well iirc

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That’s what great teams do. They take great under performing players and help them fulfill their potential. Bond was an off cast as well iirc

Yeah we seen what a move to edge at a lighter weight may result in....gave him the path to do it...and coaching....and here he is..what..6 yrs later??

23 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

couple years ago some knucklehead Rider fan was beaking off about Winnipeg being too stupid to keep Labatte and the Riders being so smart for getting him. My response was "Yoshi and Neufeld". He didn't understand my rebuttal...clueless.

Totally clueless because the Bombers tried damned ******* hard to keep Labatt but he missed inbredville and left despite huge offers from the Bombers to stay.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Yeah we seen what a move to edge at a lighter weight may result in....gave him the path to do it...and coaching....and here he is..what..6 yrs later??

Same path Dobson and Eli followed as well. Seems we constantly being in ol who are either undersized or over sized lol. 
 Brayden miller our long term sc coach has done tremendous work with a bunch of guys here. 

24 minutes ago, Noeller said:

not former Bombers, but since we don't have a thread for this: 

I wonder what they would do with Houston, where both leagues have a team. 
 Hub cities crippled attendance and engagement for a bunch of usfl teams. While the xfl was carried by St. Louis. 

I wonder how they would do rosters too  iirc the usfl teams sign their own players where as the xfl signs then disperses them in a draft  

I feel like they’d have a chance with a few off the market. Too many in Texas for the xfl. 
If they fielded two Texas teams (Houston and San Antonio) with st louis, Washington, Birmingham, Memphis, Michigan, nj, no, and 1 of Philly, Pitt, vegas, and Seattle they’d have a good spread of 10 teams. 

Until they fix their pay scale especially for QBs I don’t see them having any larger of an impact on the cfl. 

19 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I wonder what they would do with Houston, where both leagues have a team. 
 Hub cities crippled attendance and engagement for a bunch of usfl teams. While the xfl was carried by St. Louis. 

I wonder how they would do rosters too  iirc the usfl teams sign their own players where as the xfl signs then disperses them in a draft  

I feel like they’d have a chance with a few off the market. Too many in Texas for the xfl. 
If they fielded two Texas teams (Houston and San Antonio) with st louis, Washington, Birmingham, Memphis, Michigan, nj, no, and 1 of Philly, Pitt, vegas, and Seattle they’d have a good spread of 10 teams. 

Until they fix their pay scale especially for QBs I don’t see them having any larger of an impact on the cfl. 

The impact is who is coming up here in the first place.