Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

28 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

To my mind, that career path is the exception. Off the top of my head, guys who played here, went south, took their shot, then came back never to get another shot include Ty Jones, Milt Stegall, Henry Burris, Casey Printers, Winston Rose, Duke Williams, etc. Can’t think of numerous guys who had a shot, came back, and went back down again. 

You missed a biggie ..Ricky Ray...I'm sure there's a lot more

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

in all honesty Strev is never going to get the chance to be a starter there now at his age/experience, and the likelyhood of an actual true back-up is just as slim...High draft picks and tenured NFL journeyman will get that gig first...he will be basically a PR guy now...or emergency rostered body...with no future...sad..and sucks...but that is facts...he should pro-rate himself up here...play it out and see if gates any last sniff at close of the 2022 CFL season....and if nothing materializes, then maximize his earning potential up here

Strev needs to be rostered for 6 more games to pull down a 30k American pension for the rest of his life. He is not in the same situation as most ex-CFLers. He needs to exhaust every avenue to try and get those 6 games. It's why there is zero chance he gives up the NFL dream this season. He will try and find a way to convince another NFL team to bring him in, and if he can't in the next few weeks, he will sign a pro rated contract and hope he puts up some game film to convince a team for one last shot. 

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

I would be shocked if Streveler ever came back to the CFL… he had an unreal pre-season and someone will give him a look.

Sounds like Desjarlais will likely be cut. He’s likely in the $200k-$250k range if he finds his way back to the CFL, but he’d be worth it.

if he doesnt take a PR spot...he will be back here....U can book that

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Well, I don’t have the firsthand knowledge of every team’s salary cap room like you do, so I can’t make an educated comment knowing we have more money than everyone else. Unless you are just guessing yourself. But if Streveler loves us so much and just wants to be a part of something, he had that option to run back here after Arizona cut him, and after Baltimore cut him, and after Miami cut him. And yet he isn’t back. And His New York performance has him in higher profile for the NFL than anything he has done since he got bumped down to 3rd string in Arizona, so I would be very surprised to see him run back north now given his NFL profile is higher now than it has been in the past 2 years. But you know sources personally as you say, so I’d love to hear who it is and what exactly they are saying as to why Winnipeg is the only place he wants to be. 

he has stated during his time down there he would exhaust all possible options, before considering coming back...which he is obviously in latter stages doing....and when he feels its exhausted...u will see him back.

I'm not throwing names out either...so believe what you want...Maybe I have talked to him and got that first hand....could of eh?...also...never said I know each teams $$ position...but I do know we can make a competitiveif not top offer for any returnee this fall

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

You do realize that when Arizona, Baltimore, and Miami cut him it was our offseason right?

obviously not...nor does he realize Strev stating he is going to exhaust all options and opportunities before looking north

listening to that broadcast as streveler did his thing, was sickening.

they thought it was kind of cute, humorous.

wilson, the starter , up in the owners box, chuckling away. what the fack has that guy done.

cause the myth is, the nfl doesnt make mistakes.  that the cfl is inferior, and no way could a cfl qb be good enough.

Just now, Mark F said:

listening to that broadcast as streveler did his thing, was sickening.

they thought it was kind of cute, humorous.

wilson, the starter , up in the owners box, chuckling away. what the fack has that guy done.

cause the myth is, the nfl doesnt make mistakes.  that the cfl is inferior, and no way could a cfl qb be good enough.

Sad but true,

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

But you know sources personally as you say, so I’d love to hear who it is and what exactly they are saying as to why Winnipeg is the only place he wants to be. 

Why would he want to be here???Because he won a Cup here loved the atmosphere ....AND mostly because the team had faith in him....BIGTIME....Unlike the US of A

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

if he doesnt take a PR spot...he will be back here....U can book that

he has stated during his time down there he would exhaust all possible options, before considering coming back...which he is obviously in latter stages doing....and when he feels its exhausted...u will see him back.

I'm not throwing names out either...so believe what you want...Maybe I have talked to him and got that first hand....could of eh?...also...never said I know each teams $$ position...but I do know we can make a competitiveif not top offer for any returnee this fall

obviously not...nor does he realize Strev stating he is going to exhaust all options and opportunities before looking north

Of course he is going to exhaust all opportunities first, there is a couple million dollars in lifetime pension at stake.

Just now, Stickem said:

Why would he want to be here???Because he won a Cup here loved the atmosphere ....AND mostly because the team had faith in him....BIGTIME....Unlike the US of A

Plus his best friend Woli is here too.

8 minutes ago, Stickem said:

You missed a biggie ..Ricky Ray...I'm sure there's a lot more

There is, I just don't particularly feel like giving it a lot of my time. I stand behind my reasoning with or without examples to illustrate. Thanks for Ray though...he is the perfect example.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Streveler will be active in the NFL week 1.

Yes, that remains a strong possibility.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

I expect Streveler to stay in the NFL this year, but if he comes to the CFL, he'd be best to sign with BC. He'd make them instantly competitive again.

The BC Lions would be a good fit for him too. However, they spent like drunken sailors in the offseason and have almost no cap relief from Rourke's injury, Not sure they have the cap space to make it work.

34 minutes ago, Booch said:

Shepley...off top my head did as well....I sure there others...the funny thing is there are a lot of guys who have come to canada after failed NFL attempts....got cut or couldnt get on game day roster here, and still got an NFL chance again....just because you dont hear...doesnt mean its not occurring...Brandin Bryant here for us is another example...played a season after 2 NFL stints...we let him go for an NFL chance...resurfaced the next yr in Mtl....then has had 3 more stints with Cleveland, Miami and Buffalo...If he was to get the snips this yr...I'd be all over that if I was Walters as he is only 28 I believe

Not a Bomber...But Shepley just got released...sure would be a nice scoop to take him from Sask...tho he seems like a guy who will exhaust every chance down there

None of those are QB's. All the players listed that have done NFL then CFL then NFL again are not QBs AND either had NFL experience prior to the CFL, or bad luck in college that dropped them off NFL radar AND played more than 1 CFL season between NFL shots. People, including you. Are suggesting he will have a shot again at the NFL if he comes back to the CFL this year and plays mainly a back up roll. That has 100% never ever happened, no name players included. It doesn't happen. We all know the NFL is a different beast/business and their QB's are a level above that. Two of the greatest CFL qb's of all time barely got sniffs after lighting the CFL up for years. The greatest of all time(Flutie), even after playing well in the NFL still got screwed cause he didn't have the pedigree NFL owners want.

Streveler being a QB makes his NFL window shorter than any other position.

I can't imagine Streveler coming back to the CFL to back up Collaros. He'd get starter money/spot on several other teams.

If he has any chance of getting back the NFL after coming up to the CFL it's by showing off his skills and taking a team deep into the playoffs. His best bets would be BC followed by Regina.

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

None of those are QB's. All the players listed that have done NFL then CFL then NFL again are not QBs AND either had NFL experience prior to the CFL, or bad luck in college that dropped them off NFL radar AND played more than 1 CFL season between NFL shots. People, including you. Are suggesting he will have a shot again at the NFL if he comes back to the CFL this year and plays mainly a back up roll. That has 100% never ever happened, no name players included. It doesn't happen. We all know the NFL is a different beast/business and their QB's are a level above that. Two of the greatest CFL qb's of all time barely got sniffs after lighting the CFL up for years. The greatest of all time(Flutie), even after playing well in the NFL still got screwed cause he didn't have the pedigree NFL owners want.

You have your opinion I have mine. Not gonna debate this with you. I have laid out my reasoning, and you have laid out yours. I'm not trying to convince you, we shall see I guess.

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I can't imagine Streveler coming back to the CFL to back up Collaros. He'd get starter money/spot on several other teams.

If he has any chance of getting back the NFL after coming up to the CFL it's by showing off his skills and taking a team deep into the playoffs. His best bets would be BC followed by Regina.

Maybe...but we all know where his heart will be telling him to go.

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

well...Desjarlais has been waived...U on the clock now Mr Walters...get in his ear immediately...let him know what you can do so he knows...if he hasnt already

That discussion took place months ago. I would bet on that.

15 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Not denying that Strev getting NFL interest would be tough if he comes back. Will be tough if he doesn't get picked up in the next few days too. You are entirely missing the point though. Strev is not like almost any CFL QB gone south before, he has been rostered for enough time that he is almost pensionable. That is something that has never happened with a CFL QB since Brock, Moon, and Flutie. He, therefore, MUST keep his NFL options open. He would monumentally stupid not to do so. 

Edited by GCn20

22 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I can't imagine BC having the cap space, and I can't imagine the Riders making him their starter without a multi-year deal that he simply won't sign right now.

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Not denying that Strev getting NFL interest would be tough if he comes back. Will be tough if he doesn't get picked up in the next few days too. You are entirely missing the point though. Strev is not like almost any CFL QB gone south before, he has been rostered for enough time that he is almost pensionable. That is something that has never happened with a CFL QB since Brock, Moon, and Flutie. He, therefore, MUST keep his NFL options open. He would monumentally stupid not to do so. 

I agree. He will always have that window open. I'm simply saying, if he doesn't stick down there this year and decides to come back to the CFL. He will be in the CFL for years before he gets another shot.

7 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I agree. He will always have that window open. I'm simply saying, if he doesn't stick down there this year and decides to come back to the CFL. He will be in the CFL for years before he gets another shot.

If he does not get another NFL shot by TC 2023, he will never get one again. His NFL window is from now to then. He knows this full well. However, there is a strong chance he could be back in a TC next year if he doesn't get picked up now. His TC effort with NY virtually assures him of one more TC somewhere in the NFL. 

Edited by GCn20

55 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yes, that remains a strong possibility.

The BC Lions would be a good fit for him too. However, they spent like drunken sailors in the offseason and have almost no cap relief from Rourke's injury, Not sure they have the cap space to make it work.

BC is a pass based offense, doubt Streveler would have success in it.

27 minutes ago, Booch said:

Brandin Bryant has been set loose by the Bills as well.....I doubt he has much if any PR eligibility left...now threes a real nice replacement for Stove...and would really shore p the defense...get er done Walters 

Can you imagine if we got Bryant kongbo and desjarlais back? We’d be laughing.  

10 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

BC is a pass based offense, doubt Streveler would have success in it.

Streveler is a perfect fit for that offense. His legs supplement their lack of a run game and their ol.