Week 5 - Back to Back Champs at Lions - Week of thread

JCon

24 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Stuff like that is the kiss of death when playing the bombers. I just went from 50% sure to 100% sure we whoop their butts. 

That said if we lose and have another poor offensive out put buck pierce should be on the hot seat. defenders have said the same thing in like 3 weeks this year. 

Just now, BomberfanMKS said:

it feels like we rarely if never do that

You’re right. And mixing in press cover would really mess bc up. Yeah personally I love bump n run cover. 

29 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Yeah, which is why I hope we mix some in.  Like wbbfan said, it would mess with what BC thinks/knows we normally do.

Throwing in some layered zone pressing under on a few guys like lucky would be really effective too.
 Bc has mostly feasted on wide open deep balls and lots of intermediate rub stuff. If you jam some but not all of their guys you can really disrupt the timing of combo routes. 
 I’m sure as always hall is prepared with lots of ideas and wrinkles especially for the second half. 

I think the db blitz package is going to be really effective too. Rutledge times his blitzes really well and is soo quick. Rourke isn’t prepared for rushes from the second level imo. 

10 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Sayles isn't wrong

Neither was money hunter, but he still got beat. 

For me, if I see that I'm happy and I'm not saying a word. Better to let the other team continue to do bland stuff rather than kick the hornets nest. Do not be surprised of the bombers run some new wrinkle this game, and run it right at sayles. 

Whikle I'm happy that the Bombers are 4-0, they have a few issues to deal with including some injuries to key players (Demski, Couture, Alexander and Wilson immediately come to mind). Even though the O-line is struggling (IMO, ), I don't think that Oliveira is the answer at RB. And the current set of receivers doesn't seem to have the ability to "take it deep" to stretch the defense. So, if BC doesn't have to worry too much about a Bomber deep threat and running back.......well, it could be a long evening for the Bombers. It is early in the season and I think that the Bombers' brain-thrust will figure it out and address the issues. However, I would be more than pleasantly surprised if the Blue pull out a W tonight.

So far this year we have had 19 2 and outs. and 30 drives with 5 or less plays that didn't score. That's out of 53 total possessions. (not including opening kick offs or victory formation.)

Mean while bc has had 5 2 and outs in 3 games. 0 in their game against toronto. (not counting again the victory formation.)  and 13 drives of 5 or less plays that didn't score.

The splits for yards, first downs, sacks and tds are heavily in bcs favor. Interesting considering they've played 1 less game and played 2 of the same teams as us. The line is pretty narrowly in favor of bc. 1.5-4 points. If it wasn't a bomber game bc + the over would be a very appealing bet imo.  

Any reciever can take it deep....if u run the appropriate route...and actually show the team you are gonna take your shot..then the db has to turn and run with him....if you let them play slightly off and keep it all in front of them...they see everything develop and flow to the ball...hence why it seems so far this yr everything is clogged up.

This in turn opens up the underneath game...as well as sets up the run...why we not doing this is odd...but at pro level ..anyone can go long ..maybe this is the game we open it up...

26 minutes ago, Booch said:

Any reciever can take it deep....if u run the appropriate route...and actually show the team you are gonna take your shot..then the db has to turn and run with him....if you let them play slightly off and keep it all in front of them...they see everything develop and flow to the ball...hence why it seems so far this yr everything is clogged up.

This in turn opens up the underneath game...as well as sets up the run...why we not doing this is odd...but at pro level ..anyone can go long ..maybe this is the game we open it up...

The problem is you need a guy with speed to press that DB and get him out of a back pedal. You also need to be fast run a clearout. For instance if you are running a dagger type concept the guy running the go needs to clear the zone so the guy running the dig can run into an open area. Speed isnt just about taking shots deep, its about stretching the defense vertically to open things up underneath. As an outsider I think this is where the bombers need to use Grant on offence more, even if he isn't catching bombs he could possibly open things up for other guys. 

56 minutes ago, stevethe3rd said:

The problem is you need a guy with speed to press that DB and get him out of a back pedal. You also need to be fast run a clearout. For instance if you are running a dagger type concept the guy running the go needs to clear the zone so the guy running the dig can run into an open area. Speed isnt just about taking shots deep, its about stretching the defense vertically to open things up underneath. As an outsider I think this is where the bombers need to use Grant on offence more, even if he isn't catching bombs he could possibly open things up for other guys. 

No u don't...a guy with any type of 4.5 to 4.7 speed can go deep...if a db fails to trail him or let him go won't be in league long...u guys trumpet Duke as this field stretching deep ball talent 50/50 winner...and he prob one of slowest and in poorest shape in the league....no Db is gonna be able to back peddle and keep a reciever in front of him on a post..fly...fade or just flat out down the rail sprint for more than 10 to 12 yards before the flip their hips ...and if u think they can I don't know what to say 

Just now, Booch said:

No u don't...a guy with any type of 4.5 to 4.7 speed can go deep...if a db fails to trail him or let him go won't be in league long...u guys trumpet Duke as this field stretching deep ball talent 50/50 winner...and he prob one of slowest and in poorest shape in the league....no Db is gonna be able to back peddle and keep a reciever in front of him on a post..fly...fade or just flat out down the rail sprint for more than 10 to 12 yards before the flip their hips ...and if u think they can I don't know what to say 

Ya but for the timing of the offence you need speed. The riders aren't using Duke to clear stuff out. What we are saying are two different things. Obviously DBs will run with guys if they go deep. But if it is happening later and clogging up pass lanes then it is not stretching the zone and making it easier to defend against. Going deep isnt just to take shots its to stretch the deep defenders and hopefully open up some of the in between stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Perfect example is lawler 4.65 40. No doubt he had more 20+ yard catches than any one in the league last year. 

Exactly...many of the leagues top "deep threat take the top off" guys don't have elite speed...and a deep pass to clear oout any area for intermittent to long balls doesn't rely on timing...only timing play is a quick slant or short dig...and really a guy on outside has no effect on that as he is ..or shoukd be isoated one on one...and anyway...any guy with 4.6 to 4.8 speed isn't gonna mess up any timing...and Schoen...Ellingson...Demski and bailey are all sub 4.6 speed ..so that argument makes little sense...Burnham is prob best deep guy in league with Lawler and both prob run a 4.6 at best

7 minutes ago, stevethe3rd said:

Ya but for the timing of the offence you need speed. The riders aren't using Duke to clear stuff out. What we are saying are two different things. Obviously DBs will run with guys if they go deep. But if it is happening later and clogging up pass lanes then it is not stretching the zone and making it easier to defend against. Going deep isnt just to take shots its to stretch the deep defenders and hopefully open up some of the in between stuff. 

That would entirely be on spacing and pattern useage. If you are clogging up lanes with bodies then your play call is the issue. 

With proper play design you could have pass lanes big enough to drive a semi through with 5 wrs running 25 yards in 4 seconds on a 65 yard wide field. This is soo much truer now than ever with the hash change too. 

Not like a guy has to be deep before the ball is thrown anyway, you got the travel time for the ball to allow a guy to get open downfield. 

Bottom line you gotta use the whole field to open things up and you can do that in a lot of ways. I do wonder if the Bombers receivers are lacking in the speed department in some ways, but not from a deep threat perspective.  

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

Exactly...many of the leagues top "deep threat take the top off" guys don't have elite speed...and a deep pass to clear oout any area for intermittent to long balls doesn't rely on timing...only timing play is a quick slant or short dig...and really a guy on outside has no effect on that as he is ..or shoukd be isoated one on one...and anyway...any guy with 4.6 to 4.8 speed isn't gonna mess up any timing...and Schoen...Ellingson...Demski and bailey are all sub 4.6 speed ..so that argument makes little sense...Burnham is prob best deep guy in league with Lawler and both prob run a 4.6 at best

The amount of people who are 6’0 plus and 200lbs plus that run faster than 4.5 seconds is really really low. 

I love speed at all positions. I’d take it when we could get it. I wish we had lucky. But you don’t need speed if you run an offense well. 

some thing a lot of people don’t get with stretching the field is that it works in multiple directions. And in the cfl stretching the field side line to side line is far more prominent and dominant. That also opens run lanes that down field doesn’t. Last year we stretched the field in all direction and ran well. Which meant big gaps and seams for every one. 

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Not like a guy has to be deep before the ball is thrown anyway, you got the travel time for the ball to allow a guy to get open downfield. 

Bottom line you gotta use the whole field to open things up and you can do that in a lot of ways. I do wonder if the Bombers receivers are lacking in the speed department in some ways, but not from a deep threat perspective.  

Throwing the ball to a spot and letting the wr run under it is critically under rated. That’s how the best small school spread offenses work and blow up. They don’t get burners they get guys who run good routes and buy in. Then qbs float balls to the side lines.