Week 5 - Back to Back Champs at Lions - Week of thread

JCon

Game: Saturday, July 9, 6pm (Central)

It's time to turn our attention to the BC Lions. 

Unbeaten vs unbeaten. 

Tuesday, July 5-Wednesday, July 6
No practice/media availability

Thursday, July 7
Closed practice.
Media are asked to meet inside the Bomber Store for 1:30 p.m. and will be brought down to Press Room for post practice availability. Please send requests to dcameron@bluebombers.comno later than 12:45 p.m.

Friday, July 8
Travel to Vancouver
Selected players and Head Coach Mike O’Shea available to media at Hyatt Regency Vancouver(655 Burrard St) at approximately 3:15 p.m. PT

One practice this week. :117_eyes:

Going to be in tough this week. BC coming in healthy with a juggernaut offense and all the confidence in the world. Were coming in on a short week, big time banged up, with no run game and an offense tied for 2nd last in the league in yards per game. Dont like our chances this week.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

Be an interesting match-up for sure....short rest...mounting injuries....jet-setting across the country in 2 opposite directions over 4 time zones, if anyone had cards against them it's this squad (But you won't hear that excuse here....Hi CoFaj) this team doesn't use excuses, or have built in pre-meditated reasons to fail.....I almost feel a bounce back statement game coming....not sure why....but I can't see this team laying down and surrendering....never gonna happen

22 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Going to be in tough this week. BC coming in healthy with a juggernaut offense and all the confidence in the world. Were coming in on a short week, big time banged up, with no run game and an offense tied for 2nd last in the league in yards per game. Dont like our chances this week.

Got them right where we want them.

26 minutes ago, Blue and Gold87 said:

Losing Wilson is huge. To many things working against us this week. I think we take our first L, but I would be very happy to win ugly this week.

Yeh my confidence in us winning this game drops significantly with Wilson out of the lineup

IMO his injury played a big part in Toronto moving the ball so effectively against us in the second half.   BC with their speedy receivers is going to give us trouble on those lateral plays (the ones we failed at constantly) without Wilson's reliable tackling.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Be an interesting match-up for sure....short rest...mounting injuries....jet-setting across the country in 2 opposite directions over 4 time zones, if anyone had cards against them it's this squad (But you won't hear that excuse here....Hi CoFaj) this team doesn't use excuses, or have built in pre-meditated reasons to fail.....I almost feel a bounce back statement game coming....not sure why....but I can't see this team laying down and surrendering....never gonna happen

So Youre Saying Theres A Chance GIFs | Tenor

This is where the going is gonna get tough. Our secondary is good enough but I think the game will come down to how much pressure and coverage we are going to get from out front seven, and losing Kyrie Wilson is a big loss. So far we have not seen a reason to believe the Bomber offence in on the verge of breaking out, though. If our defence can unsettle Rourke, we may be able to keep close enough that maybe we can pull out a win in the fourth quarter with some ball control and heroics.

Edited by Tracker

32 minutes ago, JCon said:

How are we going to stop Rourke from running? We haven't been good against the run and we're traditionally not great against mobile QBs, like Masoli. 

Yeah that's tough. Gotta get Willie and Jeffcoat to contain him so it makes it harder to get around the edge. He's going to make plays, but maybe a mistake or two with pressure. 

In terms of containing Rourke, it all starts with a disciplined pass rush which is supported by solid communication on the backend.  Overall, as a defense, we've played well but I think this is where we've seen some growing pains so far this season; new faces, still establishing trust / chemistry with one another, trying to do too much as individuals.

Rourke is making great plays but we simply can't give him easy outs.  Can't have receivers running free.  Make them earn every .. single .. yard.   That team hasn't faced adversity yet, so let's punch them in the mouth and see what happens.

Were gonna need the dline bring heat like they haven't yet this year and force Rourke to make bad passes or poor decisions. He is missing a few pieces but none bigger than Burnham. I've got a feeling Bighill is going to be firing the boys up for this one,bring energy everyone think we don't have on a short week.