Week 2 - The Champs @ RedBlacks - GDT

JCon

1 hour ago, Booch said:

He did correct his game tho in the second half...but if he doesn't become consistent and reliable...yup I can see him becoming 6th again...we still need to see more league games...cause maybe Ottawa is quite good and hence why we had trouble...gotta see what they do to other teams....I still think tho Lapo will be there downfall...guy needs a set of onions and break away from his "formula"...hasn't really worked for 10+ yrs now...and don't go say he won a cup here...that wasn't on him or because of him...

Ottawa's DT dou is for sure underrated by most people. Cleyon Laing is probably the best Canadian DT by a long shot with the slowing down of Laurent. Davon Coleman has been a solid player in the league for a long time. He hasn't got the press of a Dylan Wynn, Stove or Micah Johnson but he has consistently been one of the better American DTs in the CFL. I k

32 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Are the redblacks that much better or are we that much worse?

Two weeks in a row we stuff a 3rd down gamble in the 4th and win a game we probably shouldn't have.

Two weeks in a row we expected to win while the redblacks hoped to win.

We're 2-0 and that's really what matters.

If I had to pick one Id say the Redblacks have improved by more than the Bombers have regressed. Redblacks could be the beasts of the East.

I'd say just the Elk being well under .500....lions I think will be at least 9-9 if they get any type of consistent defence...again...need to see 2 ..3 games for every team to see who actually sucks and who doesn't.

I truly think Ottawa is actually good...their defense last yr was actually good...just wore down every game cause the offense sucked and it killed them...and they upgraded the defense and Masoli makes them better instantly on offence..and they do have some weapons and a greatly upgraded o-line

Ham I think will figure it out if Evans doesn't get mentally crippled in this first part of the season..if he has another panic/error filled game today and then has to face is and we do what we have done to him in the playoffs..he may be toast 

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

I'd say just the Elk being well under .500....lions I think will be at least 9-9 if they get any type of consistent defence...again...need to see 2 ..3 games for every team to see who actually sucks and who doesn't.

I truly think Ottawa is actually good...their defense last yr was actually good...just wore down every game cause the offense sucked and it killed them...and they upgraded the defense and Masoli makes them better instantly on offence..and they do have some weapons and a greatly upgraded o-line

Ham I think will figure it out if Evans doesn't get mentally crippled in this first part of the season..if he has another panic/error filled game today and then has to face is and we do what we have done to him in the playoffs..he may be toast 

Can’t judge much this soon into the season. Especially with messed up tc and pre season. 

Some one mentioned it and was dead on. Suitor made the best point of his career. This bomber team is comfortable in uncomfortable hard moments in games. That is worth one hell of a lot. 

Yeah rack up all the yards u want...but if u cant score TD:s....u won't win many...and conversely.....that team not giving up td's won't lose many

On a diff note ..how was holding not called on Wilson on that 3rd down gamble at end of 4th quarter?? Was right in front of 2 refs and both missed it....there was another blatant one too but can't remember which play..will have to rewatch....also..Mauro on that play played it perfectly keeping Masoli from running

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Back to backs against the same team is pretty difficult in any sport  

Ottawa seems to have improved tho and Masoli tends to put up yards against us  

700 yards passing in 2 games. 1 TD? I'll take it 

Masoli and Lapo is a QB/playcaller match made in hell.

With Masoli's completion % and yardage you'd expect his QBR to be 10-15 points higher, he's literally an all-time completion percentage guy and it's not like he's only throwing screen passes, he goes downfield.

But he turns the ball over like crazy and is awful in the redzone.

Lapo is one of the least efficient OC's ever in the redzone.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The most lapoey games that ever lapoed.  March then field with long drives and kick field goals. Good enough to barely lose.

I thought LaPo was all dink and dunks though ,  now you say his O has a high amount of passing yards?     

What changed from his Offense from last season to this season?  It's almost like a certain change at QB made a world of difference in the yardage output ;D 

The most lapo play last night as I mentioned before was them doing a flea flicker and losing 15 yards when they had full momentum running a normal offense.  That was a Lapoey moment. 

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I thought LaPo was all dink and dunks though ,  now you say his O has a high amount of passing yards?     

What changed from his Offense from last season to this season?  It's almost like a certain change at QB made a world of difference in the yardage output ;D 

The most lapo play last night as I mentioned before was them doing a flea flicker and losing 15 yards when they had full momentum running a normal offense.  That was a Lapoey moment. 

Pretty much everything they did in the redzone was Lapo-ey.

Reminded me of our Nichols years where the D and special teams were constantly flipping the field and we kicked a bunch of 30-50 yard field goals because the offense was so bogged down.

Masoli is a better quarterback between the 20's than Nichols ever was, but Ottawa is not a team that will score TD's every game.  

22 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah rack up all the yards u want...but if u cant score TD:s....u won't win many...and conversely.....that team not giving up td's won't lose many

On a diff note ..how was holding not called on Wilson on that 3rd down gamble at end of 4th quarter?? Was right in front of 2 refs and both missed it....there was another blatant one too but can't remember which play..will have to rewatch....also..Mauro on that play played it perfectly keeping Masoli from running

Super impressed with Mauro he played smart disciplined high motor and looked really athletic. 

the refs blew a bunch of bad blocks to the back on bomber pass rushers who got the edge. Frankly I don’t expect better from the cfl refs any more. Ganging up in gray was kind of bs. The one call they could throw 2 or 3 of those flags on every single play of every game. 

12 hours ago, the watcher said:

Gotta look at the positive, cause why not.

We are 2 and 0 after sub par performances 

As bad as things looked last night, when push came to shove the 2 time champs stepped up and started making plays on both O and D. These guys know what it takes to win.

There are issues but there is no reason not to think the Canadian Trio and a bit of time won't fix it.

There’s only ONE Canadian trio: Pierre Berton, Don Harron, & Wayne O’Shuster

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

Yeah some excessive critisim of Gray..one hold was legit...and he blew one assignment that resulted in a sack...but then again..maybe it was a scheme thing on that play...but guys get beat...the other hold I have seen it not called...worse not called...and less called...

53 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah some excessive critisim of Gray..one hold was legit...and he blew one assignment that resulted in a sack...but then again..maybe it was a scheme thing on that play...but guys get beat...the other hold I have seen it not called...worse not called...and less called...

I’d rather a guy hold 10 times out of 10 then let his man past and rail road collaros. A hold when you’re beat is pretty much a good penalty to take. 

that said gray is not a ground mover. He’s a very good ol with a bright future but imo he’s a rt. Not ideal as a guard. I worry if kola has to start I hope his snapping is consistent. We haven’t had issues at c in a long time. 
 We need Dobson on the active roster imo. Our short yardage package has really struggled to get any push this year. 

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

And Sask...not to hate on them cause they the Riders but c'mon...Faj won't lead to promised land and they have squat behind him...

Nealon greene 2.0 just with more hype. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

You can pile up the yards drinking and dunking though.... 3 5 yard passes is the same yardage as 1 25 yard play. 

Putting up yards was never the issue with lapo. The issue is that he outsmart himself way too much and is way way too passive. He has no game sense of when to go for the glory and when to play it safe. Pierce is a much better in game manager than Lapo. We saw it to end the first half. Dogshit offense all half but went for that one drive late to get the score close.